Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor 120HZ 5120 x 1440

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 11:14 am
Dec 17, 2006
173 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
Bought this for the same price at visions last week so far it has been damn good with one caveat. Using this with my surface book doesn’t allow me to go to its full res I get 3840x1080 60hz for now. Putting it through a usb hub to hdmi is the reason. Bought a more powerful hub months ago on Kickstarter but who knows when it will arrive. A usb to hdmi cable gets me me the higher refresh rates though. In the interim will try a surface dock 2 and see if that allows it to go to its full potential.

Just my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1325 posts
1083 upvotes
What is the return policy on these ? I wanna try one but don't know if my video card will work with it .
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16823 posts
3339 upvotes
GTA
I'm not liking how phones cost more than computers and monitors cost more than TVs.
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
zobblplatz wrote: $1399 gets you maybe a 2060. That’s not going to get you 120hz performance on this monitor on anything but ancient games and Microsoft word.
Not a good comparison, the monitor only supports Freesync so you're looking at a 5700 XT which you should be able to fit into $1399 budget and gives you 85-90% of the 4K performance of the 2080 depending on game settings (lower settings = closer performance). At medium settings, modern games in the Tom's Hardware review cycle get about 70fps with that card on average. Assuming you're going to keep a $1400 monitor for more than one video card upgrade, you're going to be hitting 120Hz at 4K long before that monitor gets replaced. A high-end monitor is an investment, you aren't just buying it for today's technology, you also want it to be useful 5 and 10 years from now. My U2711 is 9 or so years old and is finally starting to show its age, 1440p 60Hz was hard to hit back in 2011 but has been trivial for years now.
Oct 1, 2017
325 posts
410 upvotes
RaySmith wrote: Not a good comparison, the monitor only supports Freesync so you're looking at a 5700 XT which you should be able to fit into $1399 budget and gives you 85-90% of the 4K performance of the 2080 depending on game settings (lower settings = closer performance). At medium settings, modern games in the Tom's Hardware review cycle get about 70fps with that card on average. Assuming you're going to keep a $1400 monitor for more than one video card upgrade, you're going to be hitting 120Hz at 4K long before that monitor gets replaced. A high-end monitor is an investment, you aren't just buying it for today's technology, you also want it to be useful 5 and 10 years from now. My U2711 is 9 or so years old and is finally starting to show its age, 1440p 60Hz was hard to hit back in 2011 but has been trivial for years now.
Not sure if you know this, but freesync works with nvidia cards.

My 5700xt machine was over $1500 to build. I use it on a 4k panel. Performance is fine, 30-60fps with middling graphics settings, sure wont be maxing anything though.
Last edited by zobblplatz on Jul 27th, 2020 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
GammaRayFort wrote: To anyone who's interested: same your money and wait for cheaper OLED monitors.
As much as I love my OLED TV, OLED will never be a volume proposition for computer monitors, at best they'll be niche even if someone actually comes out with them with any sort of serious intent which hasn't happened yet. Would you trust consumers to recognize the limitations? I sure wouldn't and to this point, neither would they.

Some other technology will replace the current TN/IPS/VA mess but it won't be OLED and it won't be anytime soon, by the time those monitors are within normal person budgets this monitor will either be dead or worth replacing. Either way, panel technology isn't any reason to hold off on a purchase that would otherwise be made.
Feb 29, 2016
68 posts
95 upvotes
actng wrote: I'm not liking how phones cost more than computers and monitors cost more than TVs.
TVs are so cheap because the business model is to take a loss or a small proft on the TV and sell the Data about what you're watching to Netflix or whoever else.
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
fpenguin wrote: currently with 3440x1440, and I would love to see more of these wide monitor options with more vertical resolutions.

This is the one I'm waiting for the price to come down. 5120x2160
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Prestige-PS341WU
Content creation (max pixels, colour accuracy) and gaming (max performance, enough pixels) are completely different target markets, that oddball resolution is designed for working with 21:9 content. The monitor being discussed in this thread is a gaming monitor. In the ultrawide space only 1080p and 1440p are even somewhat viable right now from a performance perspective and while I advocate buying not just for now but for the future, anything higher-rez than 5120x1440 won't be particularly suitable for typical gaming for a while yet. Give it 5 years, someone will come out with a 7840x2160 or 8192x2160 monitor and there will be video cards that can just about support it. 1080 is still going to be the sweet spot for most gamers for a while yet.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2157 posts
2735 upvotes
RaySmith wrote: As much as I love my OLED TV, OLED will never be a volume proposition for computer monitors, at best they'll be niche even if someone actually comes out with them with any sort of serious intent which hasn't happened yet. Would you trust consumers to recognize the limitations? I sure wouldn't and to this point, neither would they.

Some other technology will replace the current TN/IPS/VA mess but it won't be OLED and it won't be anytime soon, by the time those monitors are within normal person budgets this monitor will either be dead or worth replacing. Either way, panel technology isn't any reason to hold off on a purchase that would otherwise be made.

OLED technology has been there for decades.

OLED gaming monitors is on the market already, CAD2400 for 34". It's expensive because old technologies are still in the way, millions of jobs rely on those.
Last edited by GammaRayFort on Jul 27th, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
zobblplatz wrote: Not sure if you know this, but freesync works with nvidia cards.

My 5700xt machine was over $1500 to build. I use it on a 4k panel. Performance is fine, 30-60fps with middling graphics settings, sure wont be maxing anything though.
Was hoping not to have to follow up on my own post but yes, I'm aware that SOME do, as should you be. You're doubtless aware that a lot of Freesync monitors DON'T work with Gsync and generally the ones that do advertise it. This monitor doesn't advertise it that I can see and even if it does "work" it wouldn't be supported. Not sure why you're trying to cloud my comment with vague uncertainties.
Jan 9, 2017
17 posts
5 upvotes
RaySmith wrote: Was hoping not to have to follow up on my own post but yes, I'm aware that SOME do, as should you be. You're doubtless aware that a lot of Freesync monitors DON'T work with Gsync and generally the ones that do advertise it. This monitor doesn't advertise it that I can see and even if it does "work" it wouldn't be supported. Not sure why you're trying to cloud my comment with vague uncertainties.
I have this monitor (bought it earlier this month from visions). GSync works perfectly with this monitor. I am replacing an AOC 144hz 1440p monitor that had a Gsync module and I there isn't any difference that I can tell other than that I have to check off the "Enable settings for the selected display model" since it's not validated by NVidia.

This display also has the Freesync 2 module. Meaning you can use the Freesync ultimate mode to keep Freesync enabled down to 48hz.

With that said, I have seen some forum posts regarding flickering with HDR enabled. I haven't had this (I shouldn't say that, I have had flickering, but it's generally during loading screens and my GSync monitor did the same thing in the same place). However this seems to be remedied for the most part with the latest firmware. Which if you are buying it now, you will likely have the latest one. Even if you can't a little googling can walk you through how to update it yourself.
Sep 1, 2008
282 posts
178 upvotes
Mine came in yesterday and the quality is absolute trash.. I noticed a some blue spotting in one of the corners and some gaps in the bezel letting light though. For $1300 ($1800 retail) I honestly expected more from Samsung.

Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
Now that the G9 isn't coming...maybe this is the next best thing...if one can find stock.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2011
1028 posts
680 upvotes
Photographer here. VA panels suck for photo editing.
Photography.
RedFlagDeals - Brea
self promotion is not allowed on RFD
Jul 27, 2020
1 posts
Delivery time shown near September. Did anyone receive this before expected delivery time ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5069 posts
8397 upvotes
Canada
Brea wrote: Photographer here. VA panels suck for photo editing.
VA panels suck for ultrawide in general. The viewing angles cannot support the field of view. Curve is thus often deeper but it doesn't fully resolve the issue. VA is much better for TVs which take up less field of view.

IPS ultrawides 4 life.

Nov 12, 2005
492 posts
109 upvotes
asifnana wrote: What is the return policy on these ? I wanna try one but don't know if my video card will work with it .
i asked staples chat and they said return no problem as long as within return date. mine wont come until end of august lol. but i will test to see how it will go, i know i won't be able to push the monitor with my current card but i can run games at lower res and see how that looks. new GPUS are coming out anyway in later fall so I may upgrade to drive the monitor if i really like it