[Staples] SEAGATE 8TB EXPANSION DESKTOP HARD DRIVE USB 3.0 $139.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 12:46 am
[OP]
Apr 6, 2013
118 posts
178 upvotes

[Staples] SEAGATE 8TB EXPANSION DESKTOP HARD DRIVE USB 3.0 $139.99

SEAGATE 8TB EXPANSION DESKTOP HARD DRIVE USB 3.0 $149.99 from Staples starting Nov 27.

You can subscribe the email to get the coupon for extra $10 dollar off to make it $139.99.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Thread Summary
140 replies
Jan 8, 2015
183 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is the lowest I recall seeing an 8 TB Hard drive go for!
Dec 16, 2005
138 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
In the Staples reviews it's mentioned that this is the STEB8000100 model, which is a SMR drive (good read speed, but not write). The Western Digital My Book 8TB on sale right now at Costco for $169.99 online/$159.99 in store is more expensive, but is a CMR drive, for those that care.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2785 posts
2513 upvotes
Montreal
I would stay away from SMR drives. The only upside is that they're a little cheaper. Downside is the huge loss of speed for large writes.

Not worth it.
Dec 24, 2007
880 posts
532 upvotes
Kingston
FrancisBacon wrote: I would stay away from SMR drives. The only upside is that they're a little cheaper. Downside is the huge loss of speed for large writes.

Not worth it.
SMR is not a big deal if you're reading more than writing... Ie playing movies, viewing family pics, etc from you NAS.

It mainly gained a bad rep when WD silently slipped the tech into some of their drives without any sort of annotation so folks didn't know what they were actually getting.
Jul 2, 2015
214 posts
215 upvotes
Dartmouth
MaDgamEr wrote: SMR is not a big deal if you're reading more than writing... Ie playing movies, viewing family pics, etc from you NAS.

It mainly gained a bad rep when WD silently slipped the tech into some of their drives without any sort of annotation so folks didn't know what they were actually getting.
Exactly SMR is fine as a mass media drive. I doubt very many people are using these as a OS or game storage.
Last edited by LindsayD156134 on Nov 25th, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2008
355 posts
222 upvotes
LindsayD156134 wrote: Exactly SMR is fine as a mass media drive. I dount very many people are using these as a OS or game storage.
They might if no one warns them not to
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2154 posts
841 upvotes
Same price last year
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Sep 7, 2006
930 posts
617 upvotes
Heeereee we go again.

It depends on your application of the device. If you constantly read/write/move/delete cmr is the way to go.

If you read/write and you don't move/delete smr works just as well.

I use smr drives for my unraid nas. Been about 6/7 months now and I have no issues with them. Make sure you have an SSD cache to perform the writes/moves so that when the data migrates, it's only dumped on the smr drive for long term storage.

If you delete a file off an smr drive it has to rearrange the clusters of data which may take a while and slow the drive down for that moment. Some have mentioned once you go over 10% utilization the drives keel to a crawl; I'm at 50% utilization and experience no slowdowns.

The only time I can't access my drive is when unraid performs a parity check, and that check is known to make any drive inop for the duration.

The only one change I'd make to my setup is get a cmr drive to act as the parity drive since most rewrites take place on this drive. I ordered the 10gb seagate for 200 from bb for this. Your parity drive dictates the maximum storage each storage drive can be.

Tdlr, good for nas storage if all you do is dump data on it.
Nov 27, 2004
127 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
I believe this is the same one I bought on sale in March for the same price after the discount code.

I’m using it with a Raspberry Pi to store content over my network. It’s always running and I’ve had no issues with performance or availability.
Nov 15, 2016
351 posts
231 upvotes
Thanks needed something for my W10 images and photo backups
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2627 posts
737 upvotes
North York
I bought two of these for same price last March and shucked them for my Plex server. Works great and bought a third to shuck few months back but paid $179.99.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7584 posts
953 upvotes
mwong168 wrote: I bought two of these for same price last March and shucked them for my Plex server. Works great and bought a third to shuck few months back but paid $179.99.
Same here. Randomly, the drive will just stop responding when not in used for long period of time, and I have to unplug and re-connect
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2627 posts
737 upvotes
North York
CFRTim wrote: Same here. Randomly, the drive will just stop responding when not in used for long period of time, and I have to unplug and re-connect
I'm assuming you didn't shuck these and using via USB?
Mar 15, 2019
763 posts
896 upvotes
but I just bought the 10TB Exos ,,,,,...
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Jun 29, 2017
348 posts
1111 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: Heeereee we go again.

It depends on your application of the device. If you constantly read/write/move/delete cmr is the way to go.

If you read/write and you don't move/delete smr works just as well.

I use smr drives for my unraid nas. Been about 6/7 months now and I have no issues with them. Make sure you have an SSD cache to perform the writes/moves so that when the data migrates, it's only dumped on the smr drive for long term storage.

If you delete a file off an smr drive it has to rearrange the clusters of data which may take a while and slow the drive down for that moment. Some have mentioned once you go over 10% utilization the drives keel to a crawl; I'm at 50% utilization and experience no slowdowns.

The only time I can't access my drive is when unraid performs a parity check, and that check is known to make any drive inop for the duration.

The only one change I'd make to my setup is get a cmr drive to act as the parity drive since most rewrites take place on this drive. I ordered the 10gb seagate for 200 from bb for this. Your parity drive dictates the maximum storage each storage drive can be.

Tdlr, good for nas storage if all you do is dump data on it.
Thank you sir! I think CMR will be best for my application.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7584 posts
953 upvotes
mwong168 wrote: I'm assuming you didn't shuck these and using via USB?
Yes, USB. And I have no issues with the speed, especially since I'm mostly reading from it. But the random freezes are annoying, and it hangs my Plex Server PC
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2226 posts
2068 upvotes
Whitby
Any good for external ps5 storage of games?