[Staples] Seagate 8TB External Hard Drive - $169.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 10:59 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2020
29 posts
73 upvotes

[Staples] Seagate 8TB External Hard Drive - $169.99

Use the promo code 75358 at checkout for additional $10 off the $169.99 sale price for pretax subtotal of $159.99.

Inside the drive casing... online posters have found SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) not CMR.
Last edited by launch on Sep 23rd, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
29 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4509 posts
5353 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The external Seagate 8TB's have never been CMR, you have to go to 10TB for that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
launch wrote: SMR ("Slow" Magnetic Recording)
*Shingled.
It's only in certain cases that it's actually slower and only ever while writing.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2020
29 posts
73 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: The external Seagate 8TB's have never been CMR, you have to go to 10TB for that.
Thanks. I've adjusted my post to read SMR inside.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2020
29 posts
73 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: *Shingled.
It's only in certain cases that it's actually slower and only ever while writing.
Thanks. I've adjusted my post. I was making a play on the acronym as it is slow when performing sustained writes (recording) but not when reading but only a geek like me would find that funny so I've taken it out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I bought two of these last time they were on sale at Staples.
One quit just after the one-year warranty was up.

I think the high price of $45.- on a $170.- item for the one-year warranty extension reflects on the reliability of this drive.
Jun 10, 2020
165 posts
107 upvotes
Yup, Deal Not Great, Don't want a Seagate (SMR) 8!

Only 10TB externals and up for Seagate (and full-disclosure -- I own 3 Seagate 10TBs from the past 6 months -- they're Grrrrrrrreaaaat!)
Jun 10, 2020
165 posts
107 upvotes
.. Would add that the price per TB is great, but, you get what you pay for.. The 10tb's with the better (cmr) design still go for min. $230 since Covid-land. Wish we'd see more of a discount. Under $24/tb still considered decent though.

Depends on your use-case I suppose. May still be a good deal for some.
Sep 23, 2007
248 posts
1035 upvotes
Vancouver
DasHip wrote: Yup, Deal Not Great, Don't want a Seagate (SMR) 8!

Only 10TB externals and up for Seagate (and full-disclosure -- I own 3 Seagate 10TBs from the past 6 months -- they're Grrrrrrrreaaaat!)
Agreed.

I grabbed a couple of the Seagate Backup Plus 10TB externals and scored 10tb Seagate Exos. They are fantastic.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2020
29 posts
73 upvotes
The warranty is expensive and is likely that $45 price on purpose as a Seagate Barracuda 8tb, which is probably the drive inside, has a 2 year warranty when bought without the external enclosure $217 at Best Buy so the extra $45 to increase to a 2 year warranty brings it to almost the same price as buying the one with the 2 year warranty.
Jul 23, 2011
507 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
I have 4 of these drives attached to my NVIDIA SHIELD (cue pron joke here) and they work flawlessly for that application.
Even with the recent update to the SHIELD allowing for SMB3 network sharing, this drives write speed is not a limiting factor.
I usually buy whenever they are on sale and then add them as needed. I feel like I've paid around $150 taxes included in the past and I just added the 4th drive so I may pass on this round..
Still thanked OP..
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1018 posts
1122 upvotes
krs wrote: I bought two of these last time they were on sale at Staples.
One quit just after the one-year warranty was up.

I think the high price of $45.- on a $170.- item for the one-year warranty extension reflects on the reliability of this drive.
Are the warrantys worth it for HDs? Do they just send you your money back or send a replacement hard drive? Is it through Staples? I've always wondered about all these warranties and if its worth it or not. Obviously the data will be lost forever. But curious about the getting a replacement/money back how that works.
Dec 14, 2013
112 posts
133 upvotes
AJAX
launch wrote: The warranty is expensive and is likely that $45 price on purpose as a Seagate Barracuda 8tb, which is probably the drive inside, has a 2 year warranty when bought without the external enclosure $217 at Best Buy so the extra $45 to increase to a 2 year warranty brings it to almost the same price as buying the one with the 2 year warranty.
In this case, wouldn't one warranty be with Best Buy and the other with Seagate?
If so, the more reliable/reputable may be a better choice.
Jul 17, 2012
15 posts
MARKHAM
Hey guys should i buy this drive? im hearing that this craps out after a year? purpose is to store media files or play movies on my SMART TV. some1 plz help me. Shuold i buy this? or Should i just wait for a better brand? some1 plz help me.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2020
29 posts
73 upvotes
aandaleb wrote: In this case, wouldn't one warranty be with Best Buy and the other with Seagate?
If so, the more reliable/reputable may be a better choice.
The two year warranty is a manufacture's warranty from Seagate for the Internal Barracuda at $217. What Staples is offering is a "1-Year Easycare Replacement Plan for Electronics" for $45 which comes into effect after the one year manufacture's warranty on the external hard drive at $169 ends. I don't have any experience trying to make a claim of either warranty and I don't know what warranty Best Buy is offering but if one is happy to have the drive run external rather than internal getting the extended warranty from Staples for a total of $214 is $3 cheaper than buying the internal drive with 2 year manufacture's warranty at $217 from Best Buy.