Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Seagate 8TB External Hard Drive - $169.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 10:59 pm
Apr 28, 2007
256 posts
70 upvotes
Regina
launch wrote: The two year warranty is a manufacture's warranty from Seagate for the Internal Barracuda at $217. What Staples is offering is a "1-Year Easycare Replacement Plan for Electronics" for $45 which comes into effect after the one year manufacture's warranty on the external hard drive at $169 ends. I don't have any experience trying to make a claim of either warranty and I don't know what warranty Best Buy is offering but if one is happy to have the drive run external rather than internal getting the extended warranty from Staples for a total of $214 is $3 cheaper than buying the internal drive with 2 year manufacture's warranty at $217 from Best Buy.
Would the staples warranty still apply if by chance you have to get an exchange using the manufacturer's warranty? Is it transferable?
Nov 21, 2012
144 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered one and $10 coupon worked. Thanks OP! I needed an 8TB to backup my other.
Sep 11, 2006
919 posts
359 upvotes
Got this back on Black Friday 2018 for $149.99 - $10 coupon. So not a bad price but will wait to see what Prime Day/BF/BD have to offer.

Mine is approx. 90% filled up and still works fine (knock on wood). However, I only use it for archiving movies (write once, read many).
Images
  • seagate 8tb.jpg
Jul 23, 2011
506 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Vincent9688 wrote: Hey guys should i buy this drive? im hearing that this craps out after a year? purpose is to store media files or play movies on my SMART TV. some1 plz help me. Shuold i buy this? or Should i just wait for a better brand? some1 plz help me.
You should 100% buy this drive for specifically this purpose.
It is the lowest price per GB and its speed deficit is not a factor for your use case.
Of all the threads about this particular drive (there are many as this drive often goes on sale), the guy above is the first instance I've heard of with a problem specific to THIS drive ( there are MANY posts related to overall fitness of SEAGATE to other manufacturers).
The only reason not to buy is the gamble that you may get a marginally better price on PRIME DAY/ BLACK FRIDAY.
I've always picked up a new one well before I need it whenever they go on sale. I just cracked open a new one last week (don't remember when I bought it) to add to the dadcave so I think I can sit this round out and see what the retail Holy days bring.
Nov 22, 2019
127 posts
97 upvotes
I am hoping to see good offers on 2-4TB HDs in the coming weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5989 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
purplekush604 wrote: But it's a Seagate........
All the external drives I have bought in the last years, close to a dozen, were Seagate drives.
Usually 2TB and 4TB portables with power via USB 3.0
They all still work fine - the one 8TB Seagate (of the two I bought) was the only drive that failed.
Actually the first external drive I have had fail in a long time
May 16, 2010
242 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver
my 10tb shucked Seagate just died after about 4 months, all my WD drives are going strong.. tried to give them a chance, going back to WD.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5989 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bobclair wrote: I am hoping to see good offers on 2-4TB HDs in the coming weeks.
Me too.
I could use one or two more 4TB externals.

I'm going to stay away from anything bigger than 4TB - for one I don't like having to use an external power supply and if a very large drive crashes it's more of a pain to recover the data
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7275 posts
652 upvotes
Got this for $139 from Staples at the beginning of the pandemic. Expired Offer
. I use it for storing Plex media, and it has been hit and miss. When it works, it works great, fast and quiet, but then there are times when it just won't come on from standby mode. I tried different USB ports and configurations, but it would still randomly exhibit the same problem. Sometimes it goes weeks without hiccups, other times does it a few times in a week. I did consider using the warranty to get it exchanged, but I find it easier to unplug it and reconnect.
P.S I also have a WD My book connected to same Plex server for 4 years, never had a problem like that
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Jul 23, 2011
506 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
purplekush604 wrote: But it's a Seagate........
It's funny because even as a proponent of this drive for media archival purposes, I've been susceptible to the hype and have used WD for more critical backup of family pictures..
Of course, of all the drives I've used, a WD is the only one I've ever had fail on me.. luckily that critical material was redundantly backed up on a combination of crappy LACIE and HP drives lol..
Jun 10, 2020
162 posts
106 upvotes
maskedrolla wrote: Agreed.

I grabbed a couple of the Seagate Backup Plus 10TB externals and scored 10tb Seagate Exos. They are fantastic.
Dayyymn, man! ... I haven't managed that yet.. (or have I? I just ordered a Backup Plus about 2 weeks ago, but haven't unboxed it yet...)

I was actually kinda hoping for another Ironwolf as I have one Ironwolf Pro & one Barracuda Pro from my Seagate Expansions-lottery... Well, it wasn't totally lottery. I bought the first expansion late 2019, the 2nd spring 2020. Want the same drive in my RAID array though! May have to wait to the next Seagate Expansion sale... It seems they're all Ironwolf Pro now.

The Exos may be a better drive for my array (?), but.. I dunno, was just thinking of going all NAS-dedicated... and... my wallet is getting lighter and lighter in this drive-lottery. ha.
Last edited by DasHip on Sep 26th, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 10, 2020
162 posts
106 upvotes
xman111 wrote: my 10tb shucked Seagate just died after about 4 months, all my WD drives are going strong.. tried to give them a chance, going back to WD.
.. First I've heard of this, ever..
Which drive was it, 10TB Expansion? So a Barracuda Pro?
Use-case? Computer or NAS?

I got one of those Barracuda Pro's on sale November 2019.. Was going to shuck it for use in my computer (as its designed for that use-case more than the NAS I wanted to throw it in, and I'm outta space on the Comp after my Hitachi 2TB failure (after only a few years use) and a 1TB Seagate Failure (a 7200.11 from oh, 8 years ago when I bought this computer).
I got most all the data backed up off of the Seagate... Here hoping for the Hitachi too that failed waay too quickly.

Hitachi used to be a separate company when they made my drive (I had it for a couple years before I installed it), but are now owned by Western Digital. Hitachi was supposed to have a sterling, legendary reputation for excellent drives (which is why I picked it up at retail when I saw it on sale years ago..). It was the biggest and quickest failure I've ever seen of my Harddrives, and I've owned modern PC's since I started Uni in 2000.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6624 posts
2896 upvotes
xman111 wrote: my 10tb shucked Seagate just died after about 4 months, all my WD drives are going strong.. tried to give them a chance, going back to WD.
-$200+tax. Damn. never should have shucked it. What type of testing did you do on the drive before shucking it
Nov 11, 2003
244 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
virtuman1980 wrote: Got this back on Black Friday 2018 for $149.99 - $10 coupon. So not a bad price but will wait to see what Prime Day/BF/BD have to offer.

Mine is approx. 90% filled up and still works fine (knock on wood). However, I only use it for archiving movies (write once, read many).
Your case perfectly explained the SMR technology -- Single-writing Magnetic Recording