Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Seagate External 8TB HDD - $139.99 + FS

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2020 10:11 pm
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto

[Staples] Seagate External 8TB HDD - $139.99 + FS

Seagate External 8TB HDD USB 3.0 - $139.99

6431899004395498 - $10 OFF
@msufian

Rakuten - Up to 3% cashback
$17.50/TB

Coupon can only be used once per account, but you can place multiple orders by going through guest checkout and using the gmail trick
Last edited by Jimboski on Dec 27th, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
63 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Maybe a $25 off coupon will appear before this expires?
Mar 18, 2008
197 posts
268 upvotes
Abbotsford
Decent price.

Just remember if you're planning on shucking these drives, they contain Seagate ST8000DM004 drives, which are SMR.
These drives are not very good if you plan on writing data to them constantly. Extremely slow writes, average read speed.

Depending on your usage, I'd personally pay a bit more to get the WD Easystore/Elements for the WD RED/White label drives.
Aug 31, 2010
972 posts
202 upvotes
Victoria
code 71428 didn't work for this item
Jul 30, 2009
413 posts
759 upvotes
qianquan wrote: code 71428 didn't work for this item
Did you have 500 dollars of stuff in your cart?
"Wow, this thread is like a pen full of donkeys and then I went to that link and it was like going into a stripper room with no strippers." Acid_
Nov 4, 2006
723 posts
821 upvotes
Vancouver
Anecdotally...the only "spinning" drives over the past 30 years or so of my computing existence that have failed me have been Seagate Drives and more recently within the last 5 years. For what it is worth which is not much.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
3495 posts
1912 upvotes
elcaptaino wrote: Decent price.

Just remember if you're planning on shucking these drives, they contain Seagate ST8000DM004 drives, which are SMR.
These drives are not very good if you plan on writing data to them constantly. Extremely slow writes, average read speed.

Depending on your usage, I'd personally pay a bit more to get the WD Easystore/Elements for the WD RED/White label drives.
Which WA model do you recommend?

Furthermore, why is that pretty much Seagate uses SMR technology in their hard drives and they never refer them as hybrid drives. Yet, if you look at the spec sheet you'll see it only has a certain number of lifetime TB writes like a car warranty.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
3495 posts
1912 upvotes
ryk1998 wrote: Anecdotally...the only "spinning" drives over the past 30 years or so of my computing existence that have failed me have been Seagate Drives and more recently within the last 5 years. For what it is worth which is not much.
I've had some issues with both WD Caviar Black and Hitachi drives. And of course Seagate.

I should also add Seagate is sneaky in hiding that their drives are SMR and not PMR: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... g_whether/
Mar 18, 2008
197 posts
268 upvotes
Abbotsford
sheyenne wrote: Which WA model do you recommend?
Anything WD that is 8TB+ is guaranteed to be either a WD Red or White Label Red or a Helium drive. Anything less than 8TB you'll probably get a WD blue.
Dec 14, 2011
701 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto
None of the $10 off codes seem to work :(
Mar 18, 2008
197 posts
268 upvotes
Abbotsford
416vtyou wrote: None of the $10 off codes seem to work :(
$10 off code expired at midnight
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2018
1615 posts
4380 upvotes
elcaptaino wrote: Decent price.

Easystore is excluse to Bestbuy from the US and may appear from time to time on 3rd party marketplaces and even if it wasn't, they disappear in an instant because of how many people are after those drives in particular since they contain WD Red drives in them.
The element contains WD White I believe but they rarely ever drop to 20$/TB sweet spot
I have spoken
Jun 27, 2011
336 posts
528 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
ryk1998 wrote: Anecdotally...the only "spinning" drives over the past 30 years or so of my computing existence that have failed me have been Seagate Drives and more recently within the last 5 years. For what it is worth which is not much.
Same here. Never buying a Seagate product again. They all fail on me.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3830 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, i ended up subscribing to email promotions to get $10 off. This is a great deal OP
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
Thanks op great archive drive, snagged for $149.99
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1294 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks but the coupon codes are dead
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Dammit. For this kind of price I would have filled another SC846.
Anecdotally the last failure I had was an SSD.

If we limit it to spinning drives, my biggest failures was Samsung F1 1TB, but that was a small sample size of only about 8 drives. 7 of them failed though.
Now I don't know what your sample sizes are, but if it's anything below 100 you're not statistically valid.

Luckily I am above 100 currently spinning in the next room (which itself is even low statistically) and I'm happy to announce that I've only had one failure: A 2TB Enterprise drive that I got used.

So to new readers, you can choose to side with the guy that probably doesn't have more than 100 seagates or the guy that does.
Neither of us have a large enough sample size to be relevant, but if I were to pick one I'd be picking the guy with more than a handful of drives.

If you guys like small sample sizes my last 2 hard drive failures were WDs, coincidentally in the same server.
I'm totally not bitter about that or anything....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
Would this work with ps4 if you plug it in to usb?