Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Staples Hyken Chair - $149.99 [$127.49 + Tax w/ 15% Off Coupon] - SALE LIVE [ONLINE / INSTORE]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2019 12:21 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2014
1122 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cns187 wrote: If this sale was a few weeks earlier, I would have bought it based on suggestions from RFD. So I sat in this chair for 30 minutes, then I went to Ikea and sat in the Markus. Went home with the Markus.
So you prefer the Markus over this?
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1941 posts
284 upvotes
letmesee wrote: So you prefer the Markus over this?
Correct, I am 5'9" the headrest was slightly too low for me so I would have had to mod it which I don't want to do. My GF is 5'4" and she also preferred the Markus over the Hyken.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Feb 25, 2018
16 posts
1 upvote
cns187 wrote: If this sale was a few weeks earlier, I would have bought it based on suggestions from RFD. So I sat in this chair for 30 minutes, then I went to Ikea and sat in the Markus. Went home with the Markus.
Me too
Nov 19, 2005
289 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
This chair gets recommended on RFD every time there's a sale, what's so good about it? I've never tried a mesh chair, it seems like for extended sitting sessions it wouldn't feel as comfortable as one that has a cotton or leather back and seat because of less cushioning?
Dec 13, 2016
22 posts
10 upvotes
I am about 5’7, will the headrest fit perfectly for me?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
1767 posts
1180 upvotes
Laputa
cns187 wrote: Correct, I am 5'9" the headrest was slightly too low for me so I would have had to mod it which I don't want to do. My GF is 5'4" and she also preferred the Markus over the Hyken.
I have Markus at home for years, I just ordered the Staples one.
The headrest of Markus is on the right place if you sit correctly, which is good. but the problem is... when you are at home, most of time when you are watching movie or whatever... u will lie down for a comfortable posture, then.. unable to put your head on the headrest.
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12832 posts
13537 upvotes
kwokinator wrote: This chair gets recommended on RFD every time there's a sale, what's so good about it? I've never tried a mesh chair, it seems like for extended sitting sessions it wouldn't feel as comfortable as one that has a cotton or leather back and seat because of less cushioning?
Cushions get hot, start to smell, and actually feel more uncomfortable because they don't provide a stable base for your posture. The Hyken Mesh chair avoids this, and the gel seat cushion I recommend provides enough cushion for comfort and improved seat longevity.

Folks buying this for extreme comfort are confused. This is a work chair, it's comfortable enough, but not so blissfully comfortable that you want to kick back, relax with your girl, and watch Netflix.

They call it a task chair for a reason.
Dec 13, 2017
121 posts
114 upvotes
letmesee wrote: So you prefer the Markus over this?
Just a heads up, if you get the fake leather one, it will likely fall apart. My headrest just started shedding black material. IKEA does not warranty this, they only warranty the parts that are unlikely to break. I replaced it with a Hyken, which I do find more comfortable (I did mod mine). The Markus cushion was way too hard.
Nov 19, 2005
289 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: Cushions get hot, start to smell, and actually feel more uncomfortable because they don't provide a stable base for your posture. The Hyken Mesh chair avoids this, and the gel seat cushion I recommend provides enough cushion for comfort and improved seat longevity.

Folks buying this for extreme comfort are confused. This is a work chair, it's comfortable enough, but not so blissfully comfortable that you want to kick back, relax with your girl, and watch Netflix.

They call it a task chair for a reason.
Ah, so sounds like if I'm looking for something comfortable enough to work in and still do long gaming sessions after, I should look elsewhere then. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2659 posts
894 upvotes
Da boot
Decent chair, but do yourself a favor, buy one of those old gel keyboard wrist rests, cut it in two, put it over the arm rests with an old black sock. Instant armrest upgrade.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12832 posts
13537 upvotes
kwokinator wrote: Ah, so sounds like if I'm looking for something comfortable enough to work in and still do long gaming sessions after, I should look elsewhere then. Thanks!
Maybe. If you're a super focused competitive gamer, I'd say get it. If you're a relaxed casual gamer, you may want something really comfortable to veg' out on.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12832 posts
13537 upvotes
ph00p wrote: Decent chair, but do yourself a favor, buy one of those old gel keyboard wrist rests, cut it in two, put it over the arm rests with an old black sock. Instant armrest upgrade.
There are also third party arm rest covers.

To be fair, I like the harder nature of the Hyken, super comfort makes me slothy and lethargic.
Dec 26, 2015
330 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Lol so our office ordered about 50 of these. I knew something was up we had been complaining about the chairs for the last 5 years.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2008
1011 posts
336 upvotes
Edmonton
So I went into Staples first thing this morning excited to buy this chair for my wife's home office, but was a little disappointed with it in-store. Aesthetically, it's pleasing with it's slim modern design and silver accents on the vertical beam of the armrest. However, I found that the mesh seat sagged a fair bit and I'm only 140 lbs. Granted it was a display model and who knows how long it's been sitting there. However, as someone mentioned over time, the weak point in the chair is the mesh seat in that the edges can/will separate/tear. I saw signs of this on the demo on the edges of the seat. Next, I've got a slim/athletic build, yet I still felt the seat was quite narrow, so I can only imagine what it would be like for a bigger person. Also at 5'9", with the headrest in the highest position, my shoulders were hitting it when I sat flat against the back of the chair (I expected this, and was willing to try the recommended mod if need be). So while the chair appears to get mostly positive reviews with a lot of comparisons to the Herman Miller chair, and because of this, I'm wondering if most people are buying based mostly appearance versus functionality?

For the factors mentioned above, I decided to try out all the other chairs to see if I was being overly critical in my first impressions of the Hyken. In doing so, I came across the Berwood mesh back chair (https://www.staples.ca/en/staples-berwood-mesh-and-fabric-task-chair/product_2837129_1-CA_1_20001) which is selling for $100 off at $129.99 - so $20 cheaper than the Hyken. With a mesh fabric covered padded seat (no need to buy gel seat cushion which was suggested with the Hyken), and a mesh back with no headrest, I found this chair to be way more comfortable. It was slightly wider (but not as wide and bulky as the big executive leather chairs) with the arm rests at a good distance to comfortably rest both arms on at once without stretching. It has the three adjustments for the seat - height, seat tilt and recline. The arm heights are adjustable as is the seat back which might be a concern for those with longer torsos like me.

I thought I would share this with those that haven't already had any experience with the Hyken, and that might blindly order online. As I said earlier, I was ready to go in and buy the Hyken till I went into the store and sat on all the chairs, and in the end, I think I came out with a more comfortable chair saving $31.50 after tax to boot vs the Hyken. ($125.99 after taxes in AB using the $10 off newsletter sign up coupon).

Anyways, that's my $0.02 and hope it might be helpful to some. The Hyken does seem to be a good buy if it fits your body well, but if it doesn't, maybe take a look at the Berwood.
Last edited by canukeneh on May 15th, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.