Hot Deals

[Staples] Staples Hyken Chair - $149.99 [$139.99 w/ coupon] - SALE LIVE [ONLINE / INSTORE]

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 3:08 pm
Tags:
Dec 26, 2015
307 posts
129 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Lol so our office ordered about 50 of these. I knew something was up we had been complaining about the chairs for the last 5 years.
Apr 27, 2008
984 posts
315 upvotes
Edmonton
So I went into Staples first thing this morning excited to buy this chair for my wife's home office, but was a little disappointed with it in-store. Aesthetically, it's pleasing with it's slim modern design and silver accents on the vertical beam of the armrest. However, I found that the mesh seat sagged a fair bit and I'm only 140 lbs. Granted it was a display model and who knows how long it's been sitting there. However, as someone mentioned over time, the weak point in the chair is the mesh seat in that the edges can/will separate/tear. I saw signs of this on the demo on the edges of the seat. Next, I've got a slim/athletic build, yet I still felt the seat was quite narrow, so I can only imagine what it would be like for a bigger person. Also at 5'9", with the headrest in the highest position, my shoulders were hitting it when I sat flat against the back of the chair (I expected this, and was willing to try the recommended mod if need be). So while the chair appears to get mostly positive reviews with a lot of comparisons to the Herman Miller chair, and because of this, I'm wondering if most people are buying based mostly appearance versus functionality?

For the factors mentioned above, I decided to try out all the other chairs to see if I was being overly critical in my first impressions of the Hyken. In doing so, I came across the Berwood mesh back chair (https://www.staples.ca/en/staples-berwood-mesh-and-fabric-task-chair/product_2837129_1-CA_1_20001) which is selling for $100 off at $129.99 - so $20 cheaper than the Hyken. With a mesh fabric covered padded seat (no need to buy gel seat cushion which was suggested with the Hyken), and a mesh back with no headrest, I found this chair to be way more comfortable. It was slightly wider (but not as wide and bulky as the big executive leather chairs) with the arm rests at a good distance to comfortably rest both arms on at once without stretching. It has the three adjustments for the seat - height, seat tilt and recline. The arm heights are adjustable as is the seat back which might be a concern for those with longer torsos like me.

I thought I would share this with those that haven't already had any experience with the Hyken, and that might blindly order online. As I said earlier, I was ready to go in and buy the Hyken till I went into the store and sat on all the chairs, and in the end, I think I came out with a more comfortable chair saving $31.50 after tax to boot vs the Hyken. ($125.99 after taxes in AB using the $10 off newsletter sign up coupon).

Anyways, that's my $0.02 and hope it might be helpful to some. The Hyken does seem to be a good buy if it fits your body well, but if it doesn't, maybe take a look at the Berwood.
Last edited by canukeneh on May 15th, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6648 posts
6943 upvotes
systemdude wrote:
May 15th, 2019 1:45 pm
Lol so our office ordered about 50 of these. I knew something was up we had been complaining about the chairs for the last 5 years.
They should've bought 50 gel seat cushions, the staff here have the chair and the gel cushion. No complaints.
Mar 3, 2015
197 posts
228 upvotes
King City
Bought it for my mom last week for $200. She loves it but do you think they'll price match this?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2497 posts
714 upvotes
Da boot
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 15th, 2019 1:38 pm
There are also third party arm rest covers.

To be fair, I like the harder nature of the Hyken, super comfort makes me slothy and lethargic.
Show me a few that are reasonably priced? This fix is cheap if you have an old gel wrist rest lying around, and looks about the same too.
Sep 2, 2017
328 posts
153 upvotes
Anyone own the grey colour? is the mesh still black? from the tiny pics looks like the chrome metal parts are grey is the only difference
Jun 17, 2013
190 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbo67 wrote:
May 15th, 2019 2:41 pm
Anyone own the grey colour? is the mesh still black? from the tiny pics looks like the chrome metal parts are grey is the only difference
I got 2 of black models
Mesh is black
--Bell 1 gb Fibe Internet + TV + Home Phone $75 + tax
--- 2 Fido 3 gb data plan $0 for 12 months Using with Fongo App
Jun 17, 2013
190 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone still debating, I bought one due to neck and back issues. It was so good that I bought another one for my house. Paid $100 each on kijiji. Its still great at $149 but not $299
--Bell 1 gb Fibe Internet + TV + Home Phone $75 + tax
--- 2 Fido 3 gb data plan $0 for 12 months Using with Fongo App
Sep 2, 2017
328 posts
153 upvotes
nanubains wrote:
May 15th, 2019 2:44 pm
I got 2 of black models
Mesh is black
I know the mesh is black on the black, asking about the grey model... the mesh is still black instead of grey in the images
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6648 posts
6943 upvotes
nanubains wrote:
May 15th, 2019 2:46 pm
If anyone still debating, I bought one due to neck and back issues. It was so good that I bought another one for my house. Paid $100 each on kijiji. Its still great at $149 but not $299
I'm in my early 30s with mild infrequent back pain, when I sit in my Hyken, the posture it forces me to adopt relieves that pain.

It's beautiful.

This chair is suited for a certain kind of lifestyle. It's definitely work-oriented, task-focused, with the right level of comfort for getting-the-job-done.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1330 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Upvoted!

Great chair! I've had mine for over 2.5 yrs now. I'm quite heavy too, around 120KGs. Chair still doesn't wobble when you spin it freely. Mesh fabric seating surface hasn't stretched yet, and I sit in it around 5hrs a day.
redflagdeals... buy now, think later.
May 25, 2009
286 posts
79 upvotes
unionville
Ordered early this morning, got the confirmation email but the order hasn't appeared on my staples account.

Is that normal? Haven't ordered from there in some time so I forget how they usually operate.
ye.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2002
2438 posts
276 upvotes
Durham Region
Bought this chair the last time it was on sale and absolutely love it. I went from a pleather office chair and the difference is night and day. No more sweaty bums and farting just feels natural :)
Mar 23, 2017
203 posts
84 upvotes
Canada
wirestyle wrote:
May 15th, 2019 3:54 pm
Ordered early this morning, got the confirmation email but the order hasn't appeared on my staples account.

Is that normal? Haven't ordered from there in some time so I forget how they usually operate.
Same here. Ordered last night. Still no order details on my staples account

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

stillmatic11, firegarden