Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Staples/TheSource/WM/BB/Costco] HP Inkjet wireless 3-in-One Instant-Ink Eligible Printers from $40

Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
aasoror wrote: If the ink that comes with the printer is marked as "instant ink" then you will lose it once you register the printer, check your cartridges, if that is the case then its better to use up the ink first.
I see. Thx for the info. So sre print heads still part of cartridge for HP these days. One benefit of HP when colour inkjets first came out was that you essentially get a new print head with every new cartridge.

When the cartridge clogs, does the free 15 ppm program also allow a free replacement? Inkjets will clog and dry out sooner or later with minimal use.
Oct 3, 2009
154 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP, can't seem to give you an up vote though, and thanks ecobuilder. Just ordered the 3830.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
bowmah wrote: I see. Thx for the info. So sre print heads still part of cartridge for HP these days. One benefit of HP when colour inkjets first came out was that you essentially get a new print head with every new cartridge.
Yup, at least in the few on the OP.
When the cartridge clogs, does the free 15 ppm program also allow a free replacement? Inkjets will clog and dry out sooner or later with minimal use.
Since clogged head would be an "ink" issue I am guessing they would replace the cartridge any way.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
3798 posts
4014 upvotes
Toronto
Grabbed an HP OfficeJet 3830 but it is printing like shit, lots of streaks in prints.. terrible on black.

its like lines of dull shading vs dark colour ... just over and over, clogged print head?

I should return and get new I presume? Otherwise for $30 this thing seems great.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
krn905 wrote: Grabbed an HP OfficeJet 3830 but it is printing like shit, lots of streaks in prints.. terrible on black.

its like lines of dull shading vs dark colour ... just over and over, clogged print head?

I should return and get new I presume? Otherwise for $30 this thing seems great.
The print heads are part of the cartridge not the printer (for 62/63 inks that all these instant ink printers use), doesn't hurt doing a cleaning print (or whatever its called in the maintenance software) before getting it exchanged.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1101 posts
551 upvotes
Calgary, AB
aasoror wrote: Not any worse than the other $30 ones and you get a fax on top of it :)
Well put.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
krn905 wrote: Grabbed an HP OfficeJet 3830 but it is printing like shit, lots of streaks in prints.. terrible on black.

Did the unit come with regular ink or the instant ink cartridges?

I read an HP support thread where the rep asked users to clean the head up to 3 times and then do it again 30 minutes later. So 6 times. Worth a try? Would love to know if this fixes your problem. I am about to purchase the same unit.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
3798 posts
4014 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: The print heads are part of the cartridge not the printer (for 62/63 inks that all these instant ink printers use), doesn't hurt doing a cleaning print (or whatever its called in the maintenance software) before getting it exchanged.
did 3 of those + 3 deep cleaning cycles stage 2, terrible quality.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
krn905 wrote: did 3 of those + 3 deep cleaning cycles stage 2, terrible quality.
time to take it back then I guess.
Aug 4, 2018
92 posts
165 upvotes
Not sure what I need it for, but for $30 I now own a fax machine
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
This sounds strictly like a home-based consumer solution, @aasoror, am I correct in assuming this isn't suitable for an office environment?
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
redflagdealsguy wrote: This sounds strictly like a home-based consumer solution, @aasoror, am I correct in assuming this isn't suitable for an office environment?
Correct, personally I would say its a steal deal for full page photo printing, color brochures and every now and then coupons. But for any volume printing I would stay away, a $75 brother monochrome laser printer with $25 high yield toner replacement ($20 on sale) from 123ink.ca will last you ages for fraction of the cost.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
I agree with @aasoror . This unit is best used for photos and full colour printing and if you can stay within the limit of the 15 pages per month, you should get good use out of the free ink program. Use this as your secondary printer if you already have a laser printer for heavy duty text printing. Photos printed on the 3830 (on HP photo 4x6 glossy photo paper) are pretty darn good for a home printer. 5 stars in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
3798 posts
4014 upvotes
Toronto
bowmah wrote: I agree with @aasoror . This unit is best used for photos and full colour printing and if you can stay within the limit of the 15 pages per month, you should get good use out of the free ink program. Use this as your secondary printer if you already have a laser printer for heavy duty text printing. Photos printed on the 3830 (on HP photo 4x6 glossy photo paper) are pretty darn good for a home printer. 5 stars in my opinion.
I got it for the occassional photo print, occassional text print, but mostly for the document feeder scanner.

i need me one of those, i hate using flatbeds.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
krn905 wrote: I got it for the occassional photo print, occassional text print, but mostly for the document feeder scanner.

i need me one of those, i hate using flatbeds.
That is another great use of this unit. So you create PDF's using the feeder?

There will be lots of photographers, wait...., I guess lots is relative. ... lots of photographers who will buy this printer and enroll in Instant Ink to print hard copies of their photos. Not sure how many people still do it but I bet if they knew about the Instant Ink program, they would be all over it. Photo paper is not too expensive these days. The premium, thicker HP ohoto paper is about $30 for 50 sheets of 8.5x11. This coupled with Instant Ink is much cheaper than any printing place for a letter size photo. HP is lucky they do not have printers that can print larger than 8.5x11 that works with Instant Ink! lol
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1825 posts
625 upvotes
Sorry to bump, but I was interested in the 3830 and had a question regarding Instant Ink and using it for printing PayPal shipping labels.

Does anyone know if you can prepay and print multiple at a time? I sell a pretty low volume of stuff so I'd rather not waste 1 page per label. They are low cost items so I'd probably do it without tracking, can PayPal even do just stamp cost? Would it just be easier to use some label template to get multiple from 1 page and get a roll of stamps for what I'm doing?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135818 upvotes
888888 upvotes
16.JPG
Printer set up by HP =

If you are not printing that much, this is your best option.
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Oct 31st, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Nov 26, 2014
80 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The main attraction with these cheap wireless printers is that they offer Instant Ink, which is an ink subscription service. For occasional users, that isn't by itself very attractive. However, HP specifically offers a free, 15 page a month plan on Instant Ink, which you can use to print anything from regular paperwork to letter size full colour photos, all for free. (Overages are $1.25 for 10 pages on the "free" plan.) The free printing is what makes this a hot deal, because otherwise the cartridges cost a ton of money for very few prints - and since the target audience of this printer is the occasional user, signing up is a no brainer.

Since this model in particular does not have a proper display, printing status pages doesn't count against the page limit. I always print a status report before printing photos if the printer hasn't been used for a while (in order to "clean" the printheads, which are on the cartridges themselves). So far I've gone through a pack of letter size photo paper and haven't paid a penny for ink. The pictures turn out decently enough and I can't really complain about the price (I paid about $1 for mine after redeeming some eBay bucks I had).

Do note that according to the terms and conditions, any page with ink on it counts against your allotment, and that includes print errors. The terms technically also say that HP could print out advertisements on the free plan, but if that happens the pages printed won't count. For what it's worth, I haven't had that happen (yet).
:facepalm: Common fallacies! Canadian pricing is the same as US pricing with FX and tax. Ink is more expensive than a new printer. LTE is 4G. Macs are more secure.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
2918 posts
3133 upvotes
Markham
chickenortheegg wrote: The main attraction with these cheap wireless printers is that they offer Instant Ink, which is an ink subscription service. For occasional users, that isn't by itself very attractive. However, HP specifically offers a free, 15 page a month plan on Instant Ink, which you can use to print anything from regular paperwork to letter size full colour photos, all for free. (Overages are $1.25 for 10 pages on the "free" plan.) The free printing is what makes this a hot deal, because otherwise the cartridges cost a ton of money for very few prints - and since the target audience of this printer is the occasional user, signing up is a no brainer.

Since this model in particular does not have a proper display, printing status pages doesn't count against the page limit. I always print a status report before printing photos if the printer hasn't been used for a while (in order to "clean" the printheads, which are on the cartridges themselves). So far I've gone through a pack of letter size photo paper and haven't paid a penny for ink. The pictures turn out decently enough and I can't really complain about the price (I paid about $1 for mine after redeeming some eBay bucks I had).

Do note that according to the terms and conditions, any page with ink on it counts against your allotment, and that includes print errors. The terms technically also say that HP could print out advertisements on the free plan, but if that happens the pages printed won't count. For what it's worth, I haven't had that happen (yet).
Amazing post - Thank you.
-------
Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2018
9970 posts
40832 upvotes
Can you just buy ink for this thing?

If so what type does it use?
hi :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)