Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, 2 Pack ($119 or less)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 3:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3429 posts
708 upvotes
GTA

[Staples] TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, 2 Pack ($119 or less)

TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, 2 Pack $129.99 at Staples, down from $179.99.

Sign up for the staples newsletter for $10 off $100 down to $119.99. Or if you have a better coupon, you can get it for even lower.

On par from a previous deal at $119 for a 2-pack

My refurb AC66U just crapped out after 6 years so was in the market for a mesh kit. I think this is an okay deal for those who don't want to splurge for the M5 (past amazon deals) or the Orbi set at Walmart/dell
59 replies
May 23, 2011
8 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought it a weeks ago, very disappointed, it only can reach half or less of WIFI speed of Rogers Modem/Router, I even connected all 3 notes with Ethernet back-haul...

One of the worst thing is that: You can not choose or tell if you are on 5.0G or 2.4G when you are using WIFI, you will be "blinded", it will assign you to 2.4G even if you want to use 5G, and no software update for this on M4.

I will return mine.
Dec 28, 2006
532 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
bought a 3 nodes pack 1 month back. easy to set up and great coverage for a 3 stories house and also covers the backyard.
Oct 12, 2015
300 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
two comments, drastically different experience. anyone else chime in? thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2002
1103 posts
110 upvotes
sajjad365 wrote: two comments, drastically different experience. anyone else chime in? thanks!
I bought one a month or so ago to replace an old Asus RTAC66U. This one is way better and has been rock solid so far. No regrets. I have a 1000 square foot townhouse and got the 2 pack and while it may lack some admin/config options (like setting different SSIDs for 2.4 vs 5), it gets the job done and has been very stable. The signal coverage has been great too.
Last edited by rhainman on Jun 3rd, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 6, 2019
72 posts
198 upvotes
M4 3 pack owner since last summer. I am in 2 story house with basement with a device in each floor. This is perfectly fine for general use with multiple devices on the network. It may not reach the network speed of my connection (300Mbps vs ~ 50 - 80Mbps) but then again my household consists of myself and my wife with about 8 devices connected most of the time.

If you want to have a mesh network set up easily this is a well priced wifi system.

Edit: also want to mention that the system will try to connect you through 5GHz connection every time. If you're on 2.4GHz connection, then either 5GHz signal isn't strong enough (which means you have not so great coverage in your home) or you've disabled 5GHz connection through the app.
Dec 26, 2017
291 posts
185 upvotes
Pickering
You should update this as after update it gives option in wifi setting for 2.4 and 5 g. You can easily turn off 2.4

And stay on 5G
Koodo 9 GB = $40
Fido 75u = $32.5
Mar 28, 2008
405 posts
215 upvotes
FYI 3 pack is available for $170 at lots of places e.g. Canada Computers.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14310 posts
2354 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
DON231 wrote: I bought it a weeks ago, very disappointed, it only can reach half or less of WIFI speed of Rogers Modem/Router, I even connected all 3 notes with Ethernet back-haul...

One of the worst thing is that: You can not choose or tell if you are on 5.0G or 2.4G when you are using WIFI, you will be "blinded", it will assign you to 2.4G even if you want to use 5G, and no software update for this on M4.

I will return mine.
Hmm.

I have a set of three running at my parents place, and they have 500mbit connection. It works optimally without any issues.

The band issue is common with most mesh systems but most newer devices end up picking 5ghz.
Oct 12, 2015
300 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
gizmokrap wrote: I am in 2 story house with basement with a device in each floor. It may not reach the network speed of my connection (300Mbps vs ~ 50 - 80Mbps) but then again my household consists of myself and my wife with about 8 devices connected most of the time.
That's what I was afraid of. To me, that's lack luster performance.

I am getting that type of performance (20-80mbps on a 100mbps FTTH) with an AP on the 2nd floor (1700 sq ft home, excluding basement).
Aug 15, 2017
59 posts
45 upvotes
The ethernet ports on these don't support gigabit. I don't recommend picking them up if you ever plan on using them with an internet subscription faster than 100 mbps.

Edit: it has been pointed out that E4 units have this issue, and these are M4. Sorry for getting this one wrong.
Last edited by Forristal on Jun 5th, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 6, 2019
72 posts
198 upvotes
sajjad365 wrote: That's what I was afraid of. To me, that's lack luster performance.

I am getting that type of performance (20-80mbps on a 100mbps FTTH) with an AP on the 2nd floor (1700 sq ft home, excluding basement).
If you're streaming 4K on 5 or 6 devices hours at a time, yes that's not enough, but for most people, who stream on 2 or 3 devices at most and download here and there needing at most 10 to 15Mbps, it’s fine.

But I suppose if you absolutely need the full speed ISPs advertise for, this isn't the wifi APs you are looking for.
Oct 12, 2015
300 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
Forristal wrote: The ethernet ports on these don't support gigabit. I don't recommend picking them up if you ever plan on using them with an internet subscription faster than 100 mbps.
Gah! So irrelevant of internet speed, you can't exceed file transfer speeds in excess of 100mbps either on LAN - correct?
Mar 28, 2008
405 posts
215 upvotes
Forristal wrote: The ethernet ports on these don't support gigabit. I don't recommend picking them up if you ever plan on using them with an internet subscription faster than 100 mbps.
You're talking about Deco E4. M4 has gigabit Ethernet.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1731 posts
1348 upvotes
Waterloo
DON231 wrote: I bought it a weeks ago, very disappointed, it only can reach half or less of WIFI speed of Rogers Modem/Router, I even connected all 3 notes with Ethernet back-haul...

I will return mine.
I have 3 pack. gigabit ethernet with ethernet backhaul. I can be anywhere in the house and get 400mbps down on my phone.