Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

TurboTax Standard $27.99 - Saturday, February 15th Only

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 12:55 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7007 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
speezy wrote: Will not work on Windows 7
Good. Windows 7 is no longer a supported OS.
Aug 12, 2018
212 posts
198 upvotes
Try studio tax, get the job done and its free.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1579 posts
1541 upvotes
If you use an online service such as Ufile or TurboTax, is your data accessible to you say 3 years later? One of the disadvantages of using Ufile packages software is that you need to kept the disk. If you get audited at a later date and don't have the disk, you need to buy the software again!
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2691 posts
1741 upvotes
Home
zickvon wrote: I switched from studio tax to turbo tax a few years ago and had no regret.
I usually but mine from shoppers on their 20x pts day.
what was the functional improvement?
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB
Aug 23, 2019
577 posts
738 upvotes
Used to do my taxes through the accountant. This year started looking into tax software. Tried out Simple Tax and WOAH!, everything pre loaded and I had only implement the documents from 2019.
Why would an average peasant pay for such thing as TurboTax?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1579 posts
1541 upvotes
UnderKitten wrote: Used to do my taxes through the accountant. This year started looking into tax software. Tried out Simple Tax and WOAH!, everything pre loaded and I had only implement the documents from 2019.
Because just like everyone else on RFD, we are all making $100k and can afford to splurge. Booyah.
Mar 12, 2011
271 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
SavingsNow wrote: Turbo Tax Standard Online is only $19.99.
I believe the online version for $19.99 is for only 1 return. I need the boxed version to do many peoples taxes. The boxed version allows you to file 20 returns. 8 returns over 25k, 12 returns under 25k. It brings down the cost per person to under $2 each if you use all 20 returns. If you only need it for one person, then I guess $19.99 is OK.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
UnderKitten wrote: Used to do my taxes through the accountant. This year started looking into tax software. Tried out Simple Tax and WOAH!, everything pre loaded and I had only implement the documents from 2019.
Short answer, Turbotax has financial motives to improve and ensure their software is solid and convenient.
Shorter answer. It's 30$ of software that will return 30K+ in tax refunds.
Longish answer. When I tried Studio Tax years ago it didn't handle my CDN/US investments appropriately. I'm sure it's fixed now (hopefully) but TurboTax worked from the get go.
Mar 12, 2011
271 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
Keep in mind that you used to pay for an accountant, which is much more expensive than turbotax. Glad you at least made the switch to doing it yourself. There are many that don't want to attempt it and paying someone $$$ so they don't have to think about it. The funny thing is that accountants use pretty much similar software. If you only have a few forms then doing it yourself is much easier. Eventually if you are self-employed (sole-proprietor) and can keep track of your expenses then you could eventually use the forms to do your own businesses taxes. It might be a stretch if you're incorporated (contractor) to do your taxes if you're not familiar with balance sheets and income statements. An accountant would cost you $800 to $2,000 if you were incorporated.

I pay for turbotax and it's much cheaper than an accountant. I do the taxes for a lot of seniors (family) that are low / fixed income earners. They used to pay an accountant $100 to $150 a year per person just to enter a few numbers from a few forms. With the 20 returns that turbotax standard allows it works out to less than $2 each for a filed return. That saves them a $98 to $148 per year that they definitely could use. I could switch to a free tax program, but it took a lot of effort to get them to trust a computer program instead of an accountant. That generation doesn't trust anything that's free, so I count it as a win that a few years of arm twisting saves them money.
Jul 8, 2009
115 posts
40 upvotes
Montreal
Can we keep the conversation about free vs paid software in the casual sections of the forum please ? Yes we know there are free options. I am not here to debate, I'm here to find a deal on my favorite software.

When there is a Timmie deal on coffee, people don't mention the fact that you can get it cheaper at home or for free if I walk into a TD bank. Same here.
--
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sparkaction wrote: If you use an online service such as Ufile or TurboTax, is your data accessible to you say 3 years later? One of the disadvantages of using Ufile packages software is that you need to kept the disk. If you get audited at a later date and don't have the disk, you need to buy the software again!
Simple... Print a copy to a PDF file, and file that away somewhere.
Mine are done by my accountant (either way his services are declared as a business expense - and he stands behind them), and even then, I ask him to send me a PDF copy after he files them. I do my parents and in-laws, and even when I used ufile (last year I switched to studio tax) and I always print at least a PDF copy and put it away somewhere. So even if I can't find the original CD/download and original files, they are all available in PDF format, which can be printed in case of audit. I never use the online versions (I hate other peoples clouds), I will only use the ones you install physically on your machine. And I got into the habit of scanning all my slips, and including them with the PDF files. I have a copy of the PDF files on my NAS server, on a USB stick at my place, and on a USB stick for each of them, and they have a copy at their place.

Also, the PDF files are encrypted with password, and then 7zipped with a strong password also. Yes, it is probably excessive for some, but I am a paranoid about my personal info.

The free options are there, but they are not for everyone. I switched to the free option, simply because the situation got a lot simpler when all the old folks retired, and the situation was super simple. For simple tax situation, the free options are perfect. For the more complex ones, with businesses, investments, CCA, and other stuff, the commercial ones are a small price to pay to get the nicer interface, and flags for stuff you may have forgotten/missed. On the free ones, you can also do the more complicated ones, but you do need to know what you are doing, since they are not as refined for those situations. Either way, if you have any income property or business, the cost can easily be deducted as an expense, so the TCO is even lower :)
Feb 2, 2020
8 posts
13 upvotes
Is the 8/12 submission PER year, or total? I.e. 1 tax submission for 8 years?
Dec 8, 2014
369 posts
298 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I have been using turbo tax free, anyone that has tried both free and paid version can comment on the difference?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Joesup88 wrote: Is the 8/12 submission PER year, or total? I.e. 1 tax submission for 8 years?
The 8/12 is Per year. You need to buy the software every tax year.

Ufile for windows is also on sale right now. And still supports win7 for those who care. This is the one I used to use, and I liked it. Their ONLINE offering is free for students, and a few other low income households, or first time filers. And from what they say, "UFile keeps a copy of your tax return for the last 9 years".
Aug 23, 2019
577 posts
738 upvotes
takemetothebridge wrote: Keep in mind that you used to pay for an accountant, which is much more expensive than turbotax. Glad you at least made the switch to doing it yourself. There are many that don't want to attempt it and paying someone $$$ so they don't have to think about it. The funny thing is that accountants use pretty much similar software. If you only have a few forms then doing it yourself is much easier. Eventually if you are self-employed (sole-proprietor) and can keep track of your expenses then you could eventually use the forms to do your own businesses taxes. It might be a stretch if you're incorporated (contractor) to do your taxes if you're not familiar with balance sheets and income statements. An accountant would cost you $800 to $2,000 if you were incorporated.

I pay for turbotax and it's much cheaper than an accountant. I do the taxes for a lot of seniors (family) that are low / fixed income earners. They used to pay an accountant $100 to $150 a year per person just to enter a few numbers from a few forms. With the 20 returns that turbotax standard allows it works out to less than $2 each for a filed return. That saves them a $98 to $148 per year that they definitely could use. I could switch to a free tax program, but it took a lot of effort to get them to trust a computer program instead of an accountant. That generation doesn't trust anything that's free, so I count it as a win that a few years of arm twisting saves them money.
Note: I payed this accountant 30. Friend of a friend of a friend.
But still, at this point I am not sure if I want to try it because with SimpleTax everything seems pretty straight forward.
Aug 23, 2019
577 posts
738 upvotes
lleb13 wrote: Short answer, Turbotax has financial motives to improve and ensure their software is solid and convenient.
Shorter answer. It's 30$ of software that will return 30K+ in tax refunds.
Longish answer. When I tried Studio Tax years ago it didn't handle my CDN/US investments appropriately. I'm sure it's fixed now (hopefully) but TurboTax worked from the get go.
Holy, 30k+ returns... That's like 2/3 of my salary.
I guess makes sense for some people. I only have a T4, and rent...
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
UnderKitten wrote: Holy, 30k+ returns... That's like 2/3 of my salary.
I guess makes sense for some people. I only have a T4, and rent...
Sorry no I don't earn that much. I meant more that it can do up to 8 returns and I share it with family and friends so it barely costs anything anyways..

Worth mentioning if you only have a T4 go for the free service. I doubt you would receive any benefits from using Turbotax over the alternative.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)