• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 8:49 pm
[OP]
Aug 11, 2008
23 posts
114 upvotes
Markham

[Staples] Universal Hard-Floor Casters - $19.97 for 5

A good deal to replace the casters for my original Hyken chair (or any other computer chairs for hardwood floors). Currently the laminate floor under my chair is fine, but as I WFH full-time for the foreseeable future I can see these as being useful.

Free Shipping. Comes out to $22.57 in Ontario. I live in Markham (L6G) and the stores near me don't have it available for pickup in store. Targeted shipping date is July 14, 2020 at the time of this post.

The previous sale for this item I could dig up was back in January 2020 from here. It was the same sale price but was $16 with a coupon at that time (I tried the same code for fun and it didn't work).

From that thread, a few tips were given that I thought would be useful repeated here:
- no need for tools to remove the wheels, just turn the chair over and pull hard
- mats are not a good alternative as small debris can be trapped under the mat and damage your flooring as your move your chair (and the mat with it)
- these wheels are not recommended for those with pets as it is prone to catching pet hair
-- for those with pets, an alternative to these wheels are roller-blade style wheels which can be found here (for example)
- slightly worse than the original wheels on thick carpet
21 replies
Mar 29, 2017
15 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I found these at kw surplus in Kitchener for $2.50 each.
Apr 23, 2016
83 posts
60 upvotes
Port Severn, ON
Thanks OP. Needed these and this deal made it a no brainer.
Feb 22, 2009
812 posts
457 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP, I thought these went discontinued when I checked for them last but I guess not.

Will pick up a set for my Hyken and another for the wife's Aeron. Will save the $20 and deal with the cat hair ;)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17778 posts
10308 upvotes
Ottawa
can somebody confirm if this works on chairs like the Herman Miller. Never tried pulling them off an Aeron chair but the pictures of the OEM casters looks universal
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
May 18, 2009
469 posts
414 upvotes
Richmond
I put these on a Haworth Fern right away. Surprisingly smooth, well worth the $20 if you have hard floors.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2555 posts
3616 upvotes
GTA
warpdrive wrote: can somebody confirm if this works on chairs like the Herman Miller. Never tried pulling them off an Aeron chair but the pictures of the OEM casters looks universal
They fit. Turn chair over. Pull out existing wheels. Push these in. Return chair to normal position. Takes less than 5 minutes.

They do not fit IKEA or European chairs as those have a small diameter shaft.
Mar 15, 2008
531 posts
121 upvotes
Montreal
Great timing, I was just looking for these and having a hard time finding something half decent on Amazon.
Dec 20, 2014
365 posts
113 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Rakuten is 1% for a few dimes too :)
Jun 16, 2020
58 posts
150 upvotes
Be careful with these on hardwood floors, if you get any dirt on the wheels or floor you'll still end up marking the floor. Could be fine if you're careful about keeping everything clean, but don't throw them on and forget about them.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2996 posts
1969 upvotes
Toronto
Is the urethane on these wheels somewhat pliable and withstand time?

My 10 year old Ikea casters have become brittle and started to crumble.

Edit: Never mind, OOS.
Feb 3, 2019
232 posts
117 upvotes
Brampton,ON, Canada
How do they compare to the Apple's USD700 wheels? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2555 posts
3616 upvotes
GTA
blindemboss wrote: Is the urethane on these wheels somewhat pliable and withstand time?

My 10 year old Ikea casters have become brittle and started to crumble.

Edit: Never mind, OOS.
Yes they are, but they do not fit Ikea chairs. Ikea uses 10mm, most chairs here are 7/16" (11mm), which these fit.
I find them better than stock ones on the chairs we have.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1197 posts
263 upvotes
OTTAWA
warpdrive wrote: can somebody confirm if this works on chairs like the Herman Miller. Never tried pulling them off an Aeron chair but the pictures of the OEM casters looks universal
I can confirm these casters work with Herman Miller. I have been using them for 3 years. No problem seen on my new wood floor.
Jan 2, 2014
838 posts
578 upvotes
I changed out my Hyken wheels for these bck in June, I got them for the same price back then
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5636 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto
I use rollerblade ones for my hardwood floor. Very good so far. Been almost 2 years and no scratching I can perceive. I wipe them every 6 months or so though.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1256 posts
876 upvotes
starwitness wrote: Be careful with these on hardwood floors, if you get any dirt on the wheels or floor you'll still end up marking the floor. Could be fine if you're careful about keeping everything clean, but don't throw them on and forget about them.
Thanks, I was wondering about this!
Oct 25, 2001
901 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
killoverme wrote: I use rollerblade ones for my hardwood floor. Very good so far. Been almost 2 years and no scratching I can perceive. I wipe them every 6 months or so though.
Yeah wanted to know how these compare to the rollerblade type.