Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Unlocked New Samsung Galaxy A71 $469.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 12:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1625 posts
2069 upvotes

[Staples] Unlocked New Samsung Galaxy A71 $469.99

I've been looking for a new budget smartphone and came across this. I'm not entirely sure how much of a deal this is but it seems like a good price compared to what I've seen for this phone online.
21 replies
Newbie
Jan 29, 2017
88 posts
92 upvotes
Not so great. I suspect many people got this exact phone from Zoomer on promo/renewal, as I did. Mine is sitting in my closet in a sealed box and I doubt I'll get even $400 for it.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14034 posts
4127 upvotes
VANCOUVER
InDogWeTrust wrote: Not so great. I suspect many people got this exact phone from Zoomer on promo/renewal, as I did. Mine is sitting in my closet in a sealed box and I doubt I'll get even $400 for it.
Use it for a travel phone.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 20, 2009
1391 posts
940 upvotes
Mississauga
It is about 430 in kijiji for NIB.
That is about 380 before tax.
PM $13/30 days, 250MB with unlimited incoming/30d
Member
Oct 22, 2008
352 posts
283 upvotes
Gatineau, qc
Have this phone from the aformentionned zoomer deal.

Performance is decent so is the photo experience. Screen is HUGE, coming from an s10e (with a functional but severely cracked screen), took me a few days to get used to it. Battery life is not as great as one would expect for the advertised battery size, but hat may have to do with the huge screen. I get through a day, not two, and the phone has not yet been activated for 2 months. Plug in charge is quick due to the oversized block, but suspect slower trickle chargers may leave you wanting more.

All in all, it's a decent phone for "home workers" or those who want a big screen, but not that great if it spends a lot of time in your pockets or if you are not diligeant about charging it.

Agree with those commenting that the deal in itself is likely around real market price vs the inflated ones circulated by carriers.
Newbie
Jan 29, 2017
88 posts
92 upvotes
Rogido wrote: Use it for a travel phone.
I actually travel quite a lot (prior to COVID anyway), but my iPhone 12 is dual SIM and no question as to which has the better camera.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14034 posts
4127 upvotes
VANCOUVER
InDogWeTrust wrote: I actually travel quite a lot (prior to COVID anyway), but my iPhone 12 is dual SIM and no question as to which has the better camera.
No question the Iphone 12 is the better device, but I just don't like to travel with my primary phone. I like to use something with less of my vital contents onboard, and something that wouldn't hurt so much if I lost it, or damaged it.
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1209 posts
2350 upvotes
Not that great of a price, with tax it's about $530, for about $100 more you can get a used S20+. I got my S20+ in great condition for $650 all in and it's a much better phone than an A71.
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1625 posts
2069 upvotes
aomous wrote: Not that great of a price, with tax it's about $530, for about $100 more you can get a used S20+. I got my S20+ in great condition for $650 all in and it's a much better phone than an A71.
I fail to see how paying $100+ more for a used phone makes it a better deal than a brand new phone over $100 cheaper
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 19, 2005
4515 posts
1433 upvotes
User381785 wrote: I fail to see how paying $100+ more for a used phone makes it a better deal than a brand new phone over $100 cheaper
If the used phone is much better, than it's worth it for many ppl. Anyway, a new phone becomes "used" once it's turned on. "used" can be as good as new or as bad that it can only be used for parts. I paid $200 for my "used" (mint) S10+.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
12486 posts
3671 upvotes
GTA
User381785 wrote: I fail to see how paying $100+ more for a used phone makes it a better deal than a brand new phone over $100 cheaper
Like a two year old BMW vs. a brand new Corolla.
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1209 posts
2350 upvotes
User381785 wrote: I fail to see how paying $100+ more for a used phone makes it a better deal than a brand new phone over $100 cheaper
Because you're getting a phone that once was over $1500 for $650 and for $650 you're getting a MUCHHH better phone than that A71. An A71 is a mid-tier phone while an S20+ is a flagship. Also $530 for an A71 isn't even that great of a deal.
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1209 posts
2350 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Like a two year old BMW vs. a brand new Corolla.
More like a Used 2020 BMW vs a new 2020 corolla, both A71 and S20+ came out in 2020, just some months apart
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
22501 posts
172646 upvotes
GTA
No time machine, I know, but I think many people also got this from the Perkopolis/SPC deal for $400 (perhaps a bit less) I believe, PLUS free Galaxy buds, many months ago.

People never want to pay more than they have to, but it's especially true when it comes to tech stuff like mobile phones that become outdated in no time. It's hard to pay a higher price, especially when so much time has passed, and while it's a decent phone I'm sure, it doesn't have anything particularly remarkable about it.
Member
Jul 1, 2010
434 posts
217 upvotes
Got tje phone for my kid last year for the same price plus ear bud.

Great phone for teenager.

Worth to note that the phone does not support dex, not even android 10 stock desktop mode. Most ppl doesn't care I guess.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
12486 posts
3671 upvotes
GTA
chovan wrote:

Worth to note that the phone does not support dex, not even android 10 stock desktop mode. Most ppl doesn't care I guess.
I have this phone and have no idea what you just said, so your point is proven Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Member
Jul 1, 2010
434 posts
217 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: I have this phone and have no idea what you just said, so your point is proven Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Yep.

Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
12486 posts
3671 upvotes
GTA
chovan wrote: Yep.
No point in me looking at that, as my phone doesnt have it lol
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jr. Member
May 26, 2020
106 posts
64 upvotes
Might as well wait for the new A52 to come on sale. It will probably be $100 off soon.
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1209 posts
2350 upvotes
PaulJ156 wrote: Might as well wait for the new A52 to come on sale. It will probably be $100 off soon.
A52 is almost $700 now before tax which is pretty crazy
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan

Top