Hot Deals

[Staples] Various Routers On Sale

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2021 2:52 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
966 posts
1000 upvotes

[Staples] Various Routers On Sale

Someone posted the deal for Linksys WRT32X earlier but the post was deleted for unknown reason. I thought the sale is pretty good. Check it out.

Some examples:
Linksys WRT32X AC3200 - $170 (same hardware as WRT3200ACM)
TP-Link Archer A9 AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Router - $93

If you can use staples coupons, this would be even better.
Thread Summary
Linksys EA8300 with extra 25% off with code 93205 for in-store pickup, $75 + tax
Check stock near you: https://stocktrack.ca/?s=st&sku=2707797
Image
178 replies
Member
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
217 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Is the Linksys router compatible with Velop?
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
809 posts
345 upvotes
London, ON
If you're willing to learn the basics of networking and want a superior device for $70 I'd suggest a Mikrotik hAP ac2. You can find it on eBay for $70
Public Mobile
$38 month
5GB Data
Unlimited international texting
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14598 posts
27391 upvotes
Scarborough
Keny wrote: Someone posted the deal for Linksys WRT32X earlier but the post was deleted for unknown reason. I thought the sale is pretty good. Check it out.
I did a search and it looks they like deleted it themselves (no reason provided). Not sure what the reason was but thanks for re-sharing it!
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Newbie
Jan 26, 2009
23 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
Oh, nice... I'm shopping for a replacement for my venerable Archer C7, which seems to be struggling under the combined load of WFH and Online Learning. I was looking at the Linksys EA7500 AC1900 yesterday. Now I'm seeing the Linksys WRT32X AC3200 for just $20 more.

Any networking experts want to weigh in on one or the other? We're a 3 person household, often running simultaneous Zoom and Webex web conferences. The only gaming we do, per se is Zwift, but we do run two bikes side by side and have experienced wifi drops. My thought with the tri-band was to assign each person in the house their own radio on the router so they are only competing with themselves for wifi, but perhaps that's misguided. Maybe the better prioritization engine and speedier CPU is the way to go.

So what's better for my application the dual band "gaming router" or a mainstream tri-band?
Newbie
Oct 25, 2011
19 posts
8 upvotes
NORTH YORK
WRT32X doesnt have updated firmware as of 2018. So unless you want to play with openwrt/ddwrt; might be best to go with EA7500..

As for WFH / browsing / video conferencing - c7 should be enough.... Its range and capabilities arn't too far off from EA7500.
Newbie
Oct 25, 2011
19 posts
8 upvotes
NORTH YORK
C7 is more supported by other 3rd party firmware. A9 won't get that and you probably wont see AC1900 benefits vs AC1700
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2969 posts
681 upvotes
If your home isn't overly large, go for the tri-band and put whoever is the furthest away on the 2.4GHz, and whoever needs to be closer to the router( and not able to be wired directly) on the 5Ghz channels (name all 3 differently).

I'd say go for the Linksys EA8300 if you don't need mesh to cover a vast area with dead zones. It's been on for 99.97 for a while now (most recent firmware update was in 2020, whereas the wrt32x and ea9500 haven't gotten anything since 2018 I believe).

The EA8300 was cleared out at Walmart in the fall for $30-$50 but no time machine.

EA8300 also supports open-wrt.

If you're in Ontario right now this is a bit tougher to get because even though they may be in stock in store, the site won't let you add then but they are out there on some upper shelves. Perhaps if you call a store that has it in stock, they'll pull it for you for curbside orders?
review


EA8300 at Staples
umbria27 wrote: Oh, nice... I'm shopping for a replacement for my venerable Archer C7, which seems to be struggling under the combined load of WFH and Online Learning. I was looking at the Linksys EA7500 AC1900 yesterday. Now I'm seeing the Linksys WRT32X AC3200 for just $20 more.

Any networking experts want to weigh in on one or the other? We're a 3 person household, often running simultaneous Zoom and Webex web conferences. The only gaming we do, per se is Zwift, but we do run two bikes side by side and have experienced wifi drops. My thought with the tri-band was to assign each person in the house their own radio on the router so they are only competing with themselves for wifi, but perhaps that's misguided. Maybe the better prioritization engine and speedier CPU is the way to go.

So what's better for my application the dual band "gaming router" or a mainstream tri-band?
Newbie
Oct 25, 2011
19 posts
8 upvotes
NORTH YORK
which staples in ontario have ea8300? i couldn't find any locally and not sure if there is stock finder on their site?
Newbie
Jan 26, 2009
23 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
mangoman wrote: If your home isn't overly large, go for the tri-band and put whoever is the furthest away on the 2.4GHz, and whoever needs to be closer to the router( and not able to be wired directly) on the 5Ghz channels (name all 3 differently).

I'd say go for the Linksys EA8300 if you don't need mesh to cover a vast area with dead zones. It's been on for 99.97 for a while now (most recent firmware update was in 2020, whereas the wrt32x and ea9500 haven't gotten anything since 2018 I believe).
Fantastic advice and inline with my initial thoughts. House is small enough and the router central enough that we don't need mesh. Furthest away - me gets the 2.4GHz. I'll search for the EA8300
Newbie
Aug 30, 2009
99 posts
61 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I'd second suggestion of EA8300 from that list. The CPU is a bit slower than that of WRT32X/WRT3200ACM, but wireless driver is way more mature.

OpenWrt support is huge because when Linksys eventually stops posting firmware updates for this model, you can flash OpenWrt and stay up to date with security patches (not to mention having OpenWrt on your router is like having a smart phone where you can install additional apps/services, whereas vendor-provided firmware is more like a feature-phone, where you're limited to what apps/services vendor provides).
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2969 posts
681 upvotes
Btw, technically .97 signifies clearance pricing, so you might be able to apply the extra 25% coupon to your in-store purchase YMMV.

$75 makes this even more attractive!


"Staples Clearance Centre

Save an additional 25% on lowest Clearance price. Use coupon code 93205"
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2969 posts
681 upvotes
Oh also, for $11.99, you can also get that staples replacement plan where when it's obsolete, they'll give you a credit in the second year which you can use towards another router (possibly a 2 year old wifi 6 router at that time).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 5, 2007
5526 posts
1288 upvotes
416
How accurate is the site? I have an Archer C7 but signal is dropping like crazy.....just want to pick something up as a backup/replacement so I'm not running around when it does die on me! EA3800 seems like it would work.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
1183 posts
991 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
umbria27 wrote: Oh, nice... I'm shopping for a replacement for my venerable Archer C7, which seems to be struggling under the combined load of WFH and Online Learning. I was looking at the Linksys EA7500 AC1900 yesterday. Now I'm seeing the Linksys WRT32X AC3200 for just $20 more.

Any networking experts want to weigh in on one or the other? We're a 3 person household, often running simultaneous Zoom and Webex web conferences. The only gaming we do, per se is Zwift, but we do run two bikes side by side and have experienced wifi drops. My thought with the tri-band was to assign each person in the house their own radio on the router so they are only competing with themselves for wifi, but perhaps that's misguided. Maybe the better prioritization engine and speedier CPU is the way to go.

So what's better for my application the dual band "gaming router" or a mainstream tri-band?
We had a C7 for several years, flashed with the DD-WRT router firmware, and it was quite decent. I can see how it would potentially cause issues in today's environment though and you'll benefit from an upgrade. That being said, one of the best things you can do to help your Wi-Fi performance is to get everything that doesn't need to move - PCs, TVs, consoles, even laptops that spend most of their time on the same desk - on Ethernet instead of competing for the Wi-Fi bandwidth. If you do upgrade the router, you can also consider setting the C7 as an access point (disabling the router functions) and putting it at the other side of the house. If you set the SSID to the same name on both units, devices will roam to the stronger signal as you move through the house.
Newbie
Feb 28, 2017
27 posts
46 upvotes
MrBanks321 wrote: If you're willing to learn the basics of networking and want a superior device for $70 I'd suggest a Mikrotik hAP ac2. You can find it on eBay for $70
What this guy said... Once you go Mikrotik, you will never go back to a pro-sumer grade router. Mikrotik + Unifi winning combination.
Jr. Member
Dec 14, 2007
145 posts
155 upvotes
Brossard
mangoman wrote: If your home isn't overly large, go for the tri-band and put whoever is the furthest away on the 2.4GHz, and whoever needs to be closer to the router( and not able to be wired directly) on the 5Ghz channels (name all 3 differently).
What is overly large? Are separate floors consider far?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)