• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2023 3:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2021
632 posts
2483 upvotes

[Staples] Verbatim Seaglass 128 GB USB 3.2 Gen 1 Flash Drive - Grey $15.99

Product Details

Data storage made stylish! The Verbatim SeaGlass USB drive offers secure, reliable data storage in a fun and stylish frosted housing. And the cap-less design with retractable housing protects the USB connector without a separate cap. The USB 3.2 Gen 1 interface offers faster data transfer speeds versus USB 2.0 making it easy to transfer multiple files at once or larger files without error. No USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports? No worries! This is drive is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports. These Verbatim USB drives include built-in Microban antimicrobial product protection. This antimicrobial technology helps prevent the growth of bacteria, keeping your USB drives cleaner!

128 GB capacity

USB 3.2 Gen 1 interface is up to 10X faster than USB 2.0 while still compatible with USB 2.0 ports

Built-in Microban antimicrobial product protection helps fight bacteria growth

Unique frosted design with retractable USB connector means no cap to lose

Password protection software available for download (Windows only)

Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and higher, Mac OS X 10.1 and higher, Linux kernel 2.6 and higher

Colour: Grey

2.2"L x 0.8"H x 0.4"D

Limited Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty
13 replies
Apr 19, 2020
30 posts
27 upvotes
I have one of these and write speeds are slow as hell. Could be useful for a USB full of bootable ISOs, but honestly just go buy a better one for a few bucks more.
Dec 4, 2017
399 posts
508 upvotes
Whitby
That was the last time I was in touch with anything from Verbatim.

Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26829 posts
11283 upvotes
Socially Distanced
MrMello wrote: That was the last time I was in touch with anything from Verbatim.

You young whippersnappers and your fancy floppy discs.
Punch cards are the epitome of technology.

Before you know it your discs will be infected with viruses.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Dec 15, 2014
461 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Quentin5 wrote: You young whippersnappers and your fancy floppy discs.
Punch cards are the epitome of technology.

Before you know it your discs will be infected with viruses.
Crap dropped all my cards again...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4389 posts
1434 upvotes
There's no mention of read/write speeds anywhere. USB 3.1 don't mean anything. For 128GB its good from staples. But I rather order something that shows the speeds.
Also, check the manufacture's website... nothing about speeds.
it's
https://www.verbatim.com/prod/usb-drive ... sku-49189/.

Seems that at the price nothing that can beat the price, but I bet its like 10mb write/read.

EDIT I found on Amazon:
Patriot Supersonic Rage Lite USB 3.2 Gen 1 Flash Drive - 128GB - PEF128GRLB32U
$2 cheaper now, and can see the speeds... IMO..
https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Supersoni ... r=1-9&th=1

-The "real world" write speed is OK. Large transfers in Windows start fast then cycles fast/slow a few times depending on file size. CrystalDiskMark benchmark shows 138 Mb/sec read and 80 Mb/sec write, but in Windows use, the read speed is 120 Mb/sec and write speed peeks at times to 50 Mb/sec then slows to 10 Mb/sec.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26829 posts
11283 upvotes
Socially Distanced
LuckBox wrote: Crap dropped all my cards again...
Unlike dropping your portable hard drive, your data is not lost :)
And since the storage capacity is lower you will have to optimize your software instead of today's bloatware Winking Face
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24775 posts
32481 upvotes
I can't wait until ChatGPT becomes a regular on RFD.

I want to ask him (confirmed his pronoun already) deep specification questions.

Meanwhile, I'll have to look for specs and benches on my own.

Thank you, gents.
Dec 27, 2007
587 posts
346 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Patriot Supersonic Rage Lite USB 3.2 Gen 1 Flash Drive - 128GB - PEF128GRLB32U
$2 cheaper now, and can see the speeds... IMO..
https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Supersoni ... r=1-9&th=1

-The "real world" write speed is OK. Large transfers in Windows start fast then cycles fast/slow a few times depending on file size. CrystalDiskMark benchmark shows 138 Mb/sec read and 80 Mb/sec write, but in Windows use, the read speed is 120 Mb/sec and write speed peeks at times to 50 Mb/sec then slows to 10 Mb/sec.
The real world speeds are nowhere close to 120 read /10 write MB/s:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... #p37186274
Last edited by kkostadinof on Jan 25th, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4389 posts
1434 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Unlike dropping your portable hard drive, your data is not lost :)
And since the storage capacity is lower you will have to optimize your software instead of today's bloatware Winking Face
Solid state drives can also just die for no reason whats so ever. Just like spinning drives being dropped. They won't die if you drop but can die for other reasons. If you care about your data need 3-2-1 backup plan.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4389 posts
1434 upvotes
kkostadinof wrote: The real world speeds are nowhere close to 120 read /10 read MB/s:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... #p37186274
Also depends on the drive revision, not sure if you guys remember how ssd makers were switch chips on the fly. the review version would look amazing and later they switched to different flash media...

"It seems that the world of technology has stopped with allegations that some SSD companies are pulling the old ‘bait and switch’ routine in their SSDs by switching off components that many had recognized through initial SSD reviews. We have read several reports and forums, most of which simply repeat the original information, and finally have decided to clarify things just a bit from our perspective. Get ready though as many may not like our viewpoint; it goes against the grain somewhat."

https://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news ... run-flash/
Dec 27, 2007
587 posts
346 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: Cant complain for $15 128gb, personally it would just piss me off, take forever to copy files from it to it. I love my Samsungs but double in price these days. unless goes on sale.
I don't know if Verbatim drive is as slow as the Patriot one I was referring to.
I do complain because I paid $24+tax for the Sandisk and $20+tax for the Patriot (both on sale) so the latter one is a raw deal from that perspective.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2001
1539 posts
312 upvotes
GTA
I read that the Built-in Microban antimicrobial product protection affects transfer speeds - can we have an expert weigh in on this!!