[Staples] Victrola Bluetooth Portable Suitcase Record Player [$39.99]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2019 7:18 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2018
38 posts
19 upvotes

[Staples] Victrola Bluetooth Portable Suitcase Record Player [$39.99]

Handy record player down 40% right before Christmas. Ordered one and got confirmation.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.25.19 AM.png
8 replies
Apr 21, 2015
351 posts
383 upvotes
Calgary, AB
IMO if you value your vinyl you wouldn't use this piece of ... equipment..
[OP]
Nov 17, 2018
38 posts
19 upvotes
towers229 wrote: IMO if you value your vinyl you wouldn't use this piece of ... equipment..
Why is that?
Apr 19, 2004
866 posts
302 upvotes
Earth
Thanks OP for sharing a deal. I tried using the same model last week for sh_ts and giggles just to see how it works. It stopped working on first song with a 45 single. The autostop feature that stops the play after hits the end is junk. It stops before the song actually ends. Is it worth $39 in raw materials, shipping and profit. (maybe yes) Is it worth listening too? = no. If its for a child = maybe. To me its a toy. Read this link

I've been looking for a turntable for my daughter for 2 weeks. The reality is.... engineering a turntable worth listening too to get half decent sound out of it is going to be expensive. $200 and up min this day and age. A good needle (aka cartridge) is $50

Im going to end up giving her my old 1980's Dual Turntable with a preamp box to convert Photo to line so she can hook it up to the line input on a JBL BT speaker. . Way better.

There are quite a few things to get right in turntables to get good sound..
Images
  • 2019-12-18 13_12_48-mickey mouse record player. - Google Search.png
Apr 21, 2015
351 posts
383 upvotes
Calgary, AB
NiHaoLeo wrote: Why is that?
If your turntable is cheaper than some of the vinyl you're putting on it...
Jan 11, 2012
303 posts
142 upvotes
PORT ALBERNI
The needle is running on the surface of the record. These cheap units are like dragging a spike in your hand across your drywall - not going to have a good outcome. Basically every single time the unit is used it is taking another layer off the groove that holds the audio track on the surface of the record. The low price units doom the records longevity from day one. Basically the better the player (and cartridge) is the more plays you get before you have destroyed the record (acoustical properties). Probably better things to spend $40 on than this.
NiHaoLeo wrote: Why is that?
Oct 24, 2015
140 posts
51 upvotes
Sooke, BC
Thanks OP... kiddo picks up all kinds of nasty looking vinyl at the thrift shops that I do not want near the Pro-Ject Debut turntable, so happy to let her play them on one of these.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1284 posts
299 upvotes
Ottawa
The idea that cheap record players will destroy records has been greatly exaggerated. It takes hundreds of plays to cause any noticeable degradation. I doubt this player would not last long enough.

Anyone serious about vinyl should not be looking at sub-$100 players.