Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Wacom Intuos Creative Pen Tablet, Small, Black - with coupon code: $45 (Cyber Monday only)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2019 9:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1700 posts
1739 upvotes
Toronto

[Staples] Wacom Intuos Creative Pen Tablet, Small, Black - with coupon code: $45 (Cyber Monday only)

Great deal, cheaper than Amazon's lowest ever ($59). I have an older version of this and it works pretty well!

Ontario taxes added comes out to be $50.85

Code: 25CMP

https://www.staples.ca/products/2888190 ... mall-black
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6522 posts
5688 upvotes
I've been looking for one to use with Lightroom and Photoshop at this price it's a no brainer.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2017
402 posts
969 upvotes
Amazing price, trash product. DO NOT BUY THE SMALL VERSION. If you're cheap, get a HUION or XP-PEN. This tablet is only suitable to play OSU.

General rules
Never take a small size tablet as it may lead to carpal tunnel/arthritis. If you can’t afford a medium sized Wacom, go off-brand. Non-Wacom tablets are cheaper and bigger, yet usually have driver issues. Wireless options are buggy and useless. The buttons on the tablet are useless as people use their keyboard.

Wacom
By default, most professionals own a Wacom because of their better build and their patented batteryless pens. Their products have the best drivers and are universally supported (MAC/PC). Their patent has given them a stranglehold on the industry for 15 years which they use to justify their high prices. Website

Wacom Intuos vs Intuos Pro
The main difference between the intuos and intuos pro is the pen it comes with. Not only does the pro pen feel better to hold, has a better stand and better nibs, it can also detect the angle at which you are drawing the line which helps in creating thickness. However, it’s not that accurate in general so some people deactivate the feature.

Intuos Pro vs Intuos Pro 2
The newest generation of intuos pro has wireless disappearing strokes issues, issues with nibs eroding too quickly and a new sheet gimmick where you can buy sheets to put on your tablet to change the surface texture. The drivers work very poorly and it somehow has a 3.5 star review on Amazon (compared to 4.5 for previous generation). In essence, the new version is a bad product. However, it has better pen tilt and pressure sensitivity than the previous generation.

Touch vs no touch
In general, the touch option is a tad more expensive. For regular models, let it be known that the touch feature will consistently register your palm as being your hand and that your off hand should be on your keyboard for shortcuts anyway. It is doubtful that there is an actual use-case for this feature. If you’re purchasing a Cintiq tablet, get the touch option as it is essential and increases the resale value.

Wireless vs Wired
As it currently stands, unless you have a very good reason to go wireless, don’t. It’s an added level of complexity that corrects a non-issue. This features will only cause frustration.

Huion
Huion has the best quality ratio tablet, and due to their recent gain in popularity, troubleshooting is easier than ever. HuionTablet.com
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2557 posts
1654 upvotes
montreal
[quote=nUseBro post_id=31813116 time=1575275730
Huion
Huion has the best quality ratio tablet, and due to their recent gain in popularity, troubleshooting is easier than ever. HuionTablet.com[/quote]

Thanks UseBro.
My son was looking for one and weve decided to go with that brand.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
4745 posts
1403 upvotes
Kitchener
nUseBro wrote: Huion
Huion has the best quality ratio tablet, and due to their recent gain in popularity, troubleshooting is easier than ever. HuionTablet.com
any specific models you recommend? Would the $22 usd HUION H430P be sufficient for mouse replacement, doodling, and occasional gaming? Or would the $54 USD 1060 plus be better?
This space is intentionally left blank.
Jul 5, 2011
214 posts
99 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Huion tablets are really good now. I've used the Intuos pro professionally but recently switched to a Huion since my old wacom tablet is on it's way out. Use it in Zbrush, photoshop and maya.

the model I'm on now is the Inspiroy Q11K v2 (make sure to get the v2, the pens are no longer battery powered which is better).
Last edited by davyJones33 on Dec 2nd, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 23, 2017
410 posts
278 upvotes
Canada
nUseBro wrote: Amazing price, trash product. DO NOT BUY THE SMALL VERSION. If you're cheap, get a HUION or XP-PEN. This tablet is only suitable to play OSU.

General rules
Never take a small size tablet as it may lead to carpal tunnel/arthritis. If you can’t afford a medium sized Wacom, go off-brand. Non-Wacom tablets are cheaper and bigger, yet usually have driver issues. Wireless options are buggy and useless. The buttons on the tablet are useless as people use their keyboard.

Wacom
By default, most professionals own a Wacom because of their better build and their patented batteryless pens. Their products have the best drivers and are universally supported (MAC/PC). Their patent has given them a stranglehold on the industry for 15 years which they use to justify their high prices. Website

Wacom Intuos vs Intuos Pro
The main difference between the intuos and intuos pro is the pen it comes with. Not only does the pro pen feel better to hold, has a better stand and better nibs, it can also detect the angle at which you are drawing the line which helps in creating thickness. However, it’s not that accurate in general so some people deactivate the feature.

Intuos Pro vs Intuos Pro 2
The newest generation of intuos pro has wireless disappearing strokes issues, issues with nibs eroding too quickly and a new sheet gimmick where you can buy sheets to put on your tablet to change the surface texture. The drivers work very poorly and it somehow has a 3.5 star review on Amazon (compared to 4.5 for previous generation). In essence, the new version is a bad product. However, it has better pen tilt and pressure sensitivity than the previous generation.

Touch vs no touch
In general, the touch option is a tad more expensive. For regular models, let it be known that the touch feature will consistently register your palm as being your hand and that your off hand should be on your keyboard for shortcuts anyway. It is doubtful that there is an actual use-case for this feature. If you’re purchasing a Cintiq tablet, get the touch option as it is essential and increases the resale value.

Wireless vs Wired
As it currently stands, unless you have a very good reason to go wireless, don’t. It’s an added level of complexity that corrects a non-issue. This features will only cause frustration.

Huion
U dont need medium or large tablets if you are just editing photos. even on small tablet you should be using a very small area for editing.
Jul 28, 2010
765 posts
398 upvotes
@nUseBro , thanks for the info. I bought this Veikk A15 for $50 for my son who is an absolute beginner. Was scouring the internet for a comparison with similar products but couldn't find any definitive answers. There were a few others for a touch more that I was contemplating including the Huion New 1060Plus. Any thoughts, was I better off with something else? Saw a few reviews and they were decent and specs-wise it seemed good for $50.
Dec 29, 2009
572 posts
192 upvotes
I use a small for photoshop and lightroom of photos. That said, I don't spend hours a week doing it. I don't have a problem with it.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2017
402 posts
969 upvotes
As long as its not the small version, nearly any tablet will do. The most obscure and the more chinese the brand you are buying from, the more driver issues you can expect. If your son is a beginner itd actually be okay to buy him the small because roughly 95% of people end up giving up on art which is why the resale market on kijiji is so good for cintiqs (screen drawing tablets) and intuos pro tablets. Most of my friends are recommending XP-pen nowadays, as for pricing, I'm not really sure whats fair and would recommend you use camel camel camel.

I'm honestly really glad you're giving him the tools to succeed. But I want to make it very clear, do not let him go to art school unless he spends at least 2 hours of his time drawing every day and has at least 500 followers (very easy to get). Nearly everyone who gets a tablet to draw is wasting their time and should quit. It's better for people to learn things with a lower skill ceiling like guitar or some such other.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2017
402 posts
969 upvotes
iherald wrote: I use a small for photoshop and lightroom of photos. That said, I don't spend hours a week doing it. I don't have a problem with it.
The ergonomics of a mid size tablet are better just in general. You want something roughly the size of a sheet of paper or a tad larger optimally. It allows you for more precision and the opportunity to choose between moving your wrist or moving your arm depending on the type of control you need.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2017
402 posts
969 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote: any specific models you recommend? Would the $22 usd HUION H430P be sufficient for mouse replacement, doodling, and occasional gaming? Or would the $54 USD 1060 plus be better?
if gaming means OSU then yes, if gaming means anything else than osu, ive tried it and it doesnt work (so dont expect it for fps)
A tablet is not a good mouse replacement, that is not its purpose, a mouse is better at its job of browsing.
doodling is a good use case, but again, only because i expect you to quickly give up or never really put the effort. If you're a serious artist (1hour+ a day) get a old medium intuos pro (on kijiji) as price shouldn't be a barrier if you're actually planning on making a career or achieving great skill.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6522 posts
5688 upvotes
nUseBro wrote: As long as its not the small version, nearly any tablet will do. The most obscure and the more chinese the brand you are buying from, the more driver issues you can expect. If your son is a beginner itd actually be okay to buy him the small because roughly 95% of people end up giving up on art which is why the resale market on kijiji is so good for cintiqs (screen drawing tablets) and intuos pro tablets. Most of my friends are recommending XP-pen nowadays, as for pricing, I'm not really sure whats fair and would recommend you use camel camel camel.

I'm honestly really glad you're giving him the tools to succeed. But I want to make it very clear, do not let him go to art school unless he spends at least 2 hours of his time drawing every day and has at least 500 followers (very easy to get). Nearly everyone who gets a tablet to draw is wasting their time and should quit. It's better for people to learn things with a lower skill ceiling like guitar or some such other.
Damn I didn't know we can get life coaching for free through RFD, where's the sign up form?
Sep 9, 2003
722 posts
529 upvotes
Tablet size is very subjective.

I've been a commercial retoucher for many years and use a small Intuos Pro. On top of that, I run dual monitors so my speeds are much faster (sometimes I even remap my tablet to use a business card sized area). Most retouchers I know prefer small over medium/large.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2017
402 posts
969 upvotes
If you get medium you can remap to small or as a professional illustrator you can alternate between very small detail with your wrist and large smooth strokes with your arm without having to remap.
Have you ever tried intuos pro medium? It's honestly such a large jump in build quality over the traditional Intuos Small Classic
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2017
402 posts
969 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: Damn I didn't know we can get life coaching for free through RFD, where's the sign up form?
If i could give people forms to quit art school id go to the campus myself.