Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] YMMV Staples in store Microsoft Surface Laptop 1st gen $599.97

Feb 21, 2015
50 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 5:28 pm
Isn't the first gen like an unmitigated disaster or am I thinking of something else.
You're probably thinking of the original Surface RT.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1556 posts
444 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I would get that if I didn't already own a Surface Book. I never use it in tablet mode.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1812 posts
205 upvotes
NB
What is the product number for the English version? I’d like to call around to see if I can find one.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
5554 posts
374 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone seen this in Vancouver's Staple?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8094 posts
1543 upvotes
Toronto
I can live with 8gb ram, but 128GB storage isn't a lot considering how much space you have to reserve for the OS, and there is no sd card slot to help expand that.

Also this comes with Window 10S. You can upgrade to Windows 10 pro but it will cost an extra $50 to do so. The upgrade used to be free but that offer expired end of 2017.
Sep 23, 2014
398 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto, ON
appleb wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 6:41 am
I can live with 8gb ram, but 128GB storage isn't a lot considering how much space you have to reserve for the OS, and there is no sd card slot to help expand that.

Also this comes with Window 10S. You can upgrade to Windows 10 pro but it will cost an extra $50 to do so. The upgrade used to be free but that offer expired end of 2017.
Or you can buy a Windows key on eBay for $5, problem solved. If you want to be even more frugal, get the key from your local PC recycling service, for $5 i can get 3.
Feb 18, 2013
11 posts
7 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I picked up one of these in March from a Staples clearance. It was over $800 at the time, so this price is fantastic. I'm pretty sure the free upgrade to Windows 10 still worked.

Just took the laptop to Europe. It was exactly what I needed. A device to play back some movies, surf the web and research travel. Was also able to back up photos and do some basic photo editing. Painful seeing it this much cheaper, but it's a solid computer. Just remember you are paying for the low weight and form factor, not the performance specs.
Jun 1, 2018
23 posts
14 upvotes
What completely turned me off from this device is watching a teardown video, its completely destructive. Its impossible to change the battery on this device, in 3 years it will only be good for the landfill.
Aug 17, 2016
124 posts
8 upvotes
WilliamDank wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 7:38 am
I picked up one of these in March from a Staples clearance. It was over $800 at the time, so this price is fantastic. I'm pretty sure the free upgrade to Windows 10 still worked.

Just took the laptop to Europe. It was exactly what I needed. A device to play back some movies, surf the web and research travel. Was also able to back up photos and do some basic photo editing. Painful seeing it this much cheaper, but it's a solid computer. Just remember you are paying for the low weight and form factor, not the performance specs.
How is the battery?
May 23, 2008
618 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Sallient wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 9:11 am
What completely turned me off from this device is watching a teardown video, its completely destructive. Its impossible to change the battery on this device, in 3 years it will only be good for the landfill.
Isn't that pretty much true of all the current slim light devices, including the Surface Pro/Go?
Jun 1, 2018
23 posts
14 upvotes
Avignon wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 9:21 am
Isn't that pretty much true of all the current slim light devices, including the Surface Pro/Go?
Yes on the surface pro and go but not on all ultrabooks. Also the surface laptop is especially egregious since the internals are in the keyboard like a regular clamshell laptop and to open it you have to rip apart the fabric finish.
Oct 18, 2012
146 posts
90 upvotes
Montréal
just came back from the staples, it's out of stock in all quebec stores
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1703 posts
125 upvotes
They are supposed to open at 10h00
[OP]