Entertainment

Star Trek: Sisko (Rumoured, not confirmed)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 9:21 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10111 posts
8245 upvotes
Toronto

Star Trek: Sisko (Rumoured, not confirmed)

The whispers seem to be growing.... Fingers crossed!!!

Star-trek-sisko-in-the-works-at-cbs-not-a-deep-space-nine-revival.
Earlier this week rumors started circulating indicating that CBS is considering resurrecting Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for a new series. I’ve done some digging to discover the full breadth of their plans and have learned that it’s not a Deep Space Nine revival, at least not exactly. Instead they’re planning a new series based entirely around one specific character from that show: Deep Space Nine’s Captain Benjamin Sisko played by the now mostly retired actor Avery Brooks.

According to my source (the same source that was first to break the news that Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was happening), the series would follow the pattern already established by Star Trek: Picard and basically be Star Trek: Sisko. Cirroc Lofton, who played Ben Sisko’s son Jake on DS9, would co-star in the show along with Avery Brooks back as Sisko. No one else from the original Star Trek: Deep Space Nine cast is expected to be involved at all, at least not in the show’s first season. It’s worth noting that our source says: “CBS does not want Lofton to be part of it, yet Brooks is adamant that he will not do the show without him.”
Fans of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine will remember that series ended with Captain Sisko leaving the mortal world and going to live with the wormhole aliens, The Prophets, in their non-linear plane of existence called the Celestial Temple. It wasn’t clear then if he would ever return. The new show would begin with the wormhole opening and Sisko emerging from the Celestial Temple on a mission to set something right that the wormhole aliens see as going wrong.

CBS is still in early, early development on Star Trek: Sisko and there are a couple of big obstacles in the way of making it a reality. Our source tells us the biggest is Avery Brooks who is 72-years-old, long since retired, and not really interested in acting anymore. The suits at CBS are talking to him anyway and they believe that by making the show about racial injustice and the relationship between Star Trek’s first black Captain and his now grown son, they can get Brooks involved. These are themes Avery Brooks cares deeply about and making the show dedicated to pushing a specific message about racial inequality is really the only way they believe can get Brooks involved.
If it does happen, I hope they have learned from the mistakes with Picard. As great an actor as Stewart is, his ideas seem to really really suck. Best example is with Nemesis, where the Dune Buggy scene was a Stewart demand.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15194 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Hmm, a series about racial injustice doesn't sound like my bag. I loved that DS9 episode when Sisko imagines that he was a black science-fiction writer in the 50s, but I don't want a whole series like that ... unless it was a series that continues in that 1950s storyline.

Jake Sisko? The show was supposed to revolve around him and Ben Sisko, and Jake ended up being an extra, with characters like Nog overshadowing him. And despite the great stories of DS9, the best thing about it were the characters. Take that away and you might as well just invent a completely new series.

Mind you, another great episode was when Ben was lost in another dimension or something, and Jake spent the rest of his life trying to get Ben back.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1340 posts
322 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
If these are the types of ideas that CBS and Kurtzman are coming up with than Star Trek is doomed. This is a terrible idea. DS9 is done and ended in a satisfying way. There is no need to bring it back. I don't know why its so difficult for CBS to come up with great ideas for Star Trek shows that fans actually want. This is nothing more than a sad attempt to rip off past successes.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10732 posts
7891 upvotes
Global Village
If it happens I hope it's less fast paced than Picard, more cerebral but with a nice dose of shapeshifting.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10111 posts
8245 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote: Hmm, a series about racial injustice doesn't sound like my bag. I loved that DS9 episode when Sisko imagines that he was a black science-fiction writer in the 50s, but I don't want a whole series like that ... unless it was a series that continues in that 1950s storyline.

Jake Sisko? The show was supposed to revolve around him and Ben Sisko, and Jake ended up being an extra, with characters like Nog overshadowing him. And despite the great stories of DS9, the best thing about it were the characters. Take that away and you might as well just invent a completely new series.

Mind you, another great episode was when Ben was lost in another dimension or something, and Jake spent the rest of his life trying to get Ben back.
DS9 spent lots of time and detail with the Ben - Jake relationship.
From what I recall - the major thing explored was Ben's support and encouragement of Jake as he became a man, with not following his father's footsteps with Starfleet. With Jake staying a civilian (journalist), not sure what the writers could do. The idea seemed to be to keep his life and experiences peaceful compared to the regular adventures on the station. Not sure what the process was in figuring out Jake's arc as he grew up.

With any story that brings Sisko back to the real world, I would think finding Jake is the most believable tangent.
I imagine Brooks would find it impossible to believe Sisko would not find him no matter what.
Friends and acquaintances are nowhere on par with family.

Old man Sisko travelling back in time to experience BLM would be terrible.
I think a series that has racial justice at its core would have varrying possibilities.
The beauty of Star Trek is the wide range of ways they have explored such themes through different species, stories, etc. With good writing, I'm confident they could make it work. With this said, they could also very easily stink things up very badly.

Looking at Picard, all I can think of is how prior to seeing the show, all the interviews with Stewart were focused on the desire for something new and relevant for the times we are in, and his constant boasting on how this was needed to bring the character back. I'm still basically completely dumbfounded by what they did with that series, especially the end. I can't help but wonder how much appeasing Stewart played with what we got, so obvious worry is similar things could play out with Brooks.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15194 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
shikotee wrote: Old man Sisko travelling back in time to experience BLM would be terrible. I think a series that has racial justice at its core would have varrying possibilities.
Oh, I didn't mean Sisko travelling back in time; I meant that the whole setting of him in the past is the real timeline :) .

Regarding your second sentence, coincidently, I've been watching modern Doctor Who, season 11, and there's some racial/prejudice stuff in it. I found episode 6 to be the highlight so far.

But yeah, I think bringing him back would tarnish the legend (of DS9), seeing as it's most likely going to be done poorly.

What about doing a series that takes the perspective of one of the other races?
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17378 posts
12715 upvotes
Toronto
I find this hard to believe 'cause I don't feel Brooks/Sisko was all that popular out of all the DS9 characters

They already have three (10-13 episode season) shows with a fourth on the way and when they're all in full swing of production that's new Trek content every week

They don't need another show ATM, as Discovery and Picard reach their ends maybe spin offs from those shows characters

Maybe it's time to move beyond legacy characters OTOH Riker is enjoying a renaissance of sorts ... USS Titan animated?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18129 posts
1728 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
rabbit wrote:
What about doing a series that takes the perspective of one of the other races?
Star Trek: WORF please

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)