Shopping Discussion

Starbucks Canada closes all cafes. Ordering is available only by drive-through and delivery. March 20, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2020 3:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3960 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge

Starbucks Canada closes all cafes. Ordering is available only by drive-through and delivery. March 20, 2020

17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2044 posts
706 upvotes
Edmonton
Opened up my store locator after seeing this message in the Starbucks app. Some locations that have drive-thrus are closed for some reason as well. One of the stores I noticed that were closed is a very high traffic area as well-- wonder why.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7074 posts
8967 upvotes
The NORTH
Didn't even know they delivered....
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1192 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote: Didn't even know they delivered....
me too. Seems only with UberEats tho
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
Saw this on the app today. Went to the Oakridges location and the lineup for the drive thru was huge. Also they finally are using gloves. Yesterday, the one barista didn't. *Angry face* lol.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12476 posts
15629 upvotes
BC Medical Officer ordered all restaurants closed in BC except for takeout.
Have a nice day!

Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12700 posts
7845 upvotes
Markham
9thGenCivicSi wrote: Starbucks to close up to 200 of its Canadian locations as part of the fallout from covid-19.
It would mean 17% of its total outlets in Canada closing up shop in 18 months.
They will experiment with new pick-up only locations in Toronto.

https://www.cp24.com/news/starbucks-pla ... -1.4977787
Good for them. Should be more pick up stores though
Sep 19, 2012
4 posts
Cambridge, On
I took the plunge and bought a decent Espresso Machine, I can make some pretty decent Latte And such now. I loved Starbucks Vanilla Latte but now i make them at home and am learning new and interesting ways to make a Brew!
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5703 upvotes
If Starbucks ever closes all the stores in Canada ... or in a city like Winnipeg (where I am at), hypothetically speaking only of course .... - what would happen to people who have $$$ balance in their Stabucks account ... - say $200 - $300 balance, for example.

I wouldn't think those money will just go "belly up" / bye bye .... so you figure they would return $$$ to the Canadian people with balances in their account?
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12700 posts
7845 upvotes
Markham
Darkman wrote: If Starbucks ever closes all the stores in Canada ... or in a city like Winnipeg (where I am at), hypothetically speaking only of course .... - what would happen to people who have $$$ balance in their Stabucks account ... - say $200 - $300 balance, for example.

I wouldn't think those money will just go "belly up" / bye bye .... so you figure they would return $$$ to the Canadian people with balances in their account?
I'd expect they mail a cheque to me

Hopefully not Tim Hortons coupons lol
Feb 16, 2014
871 posts
258 upvotes
London
200 out of almost 1200,meaning one out of six.Well,this is very smart move and real grading strategy works here.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13687 posts
4078 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Darkman wrote: If Starbucks ever closes all the stores in Canada ... or in a city like Winnipeg (where I am at), hypothetically speaking only of course .... - what would happen to people who have $$$ balance in their Stabucks account ... - say $200 - $300 balance, for example.

smartie wrote: I'd expect they mail a cheque to me
Maybe they will just add the amount to the credits people have with airlines from covid-cancelled flights.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5703 upvotes
I called them on this yesterday ..,some supervisor told me that if there won't be any Starbucks in your city (which is very doubtful in my case, cuz I am in Winnipeg - Capital of province Manitoba) ... they WILL issue you a check for the amount that is on your gift card ... ($298 CAD or so in my case) ... She did see it happen before, so it won't be the first time they'd be doing something like that... Nice to know in any case.

But in order for them to do it ... you'd have to have NO starbucks around you :)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2769 posts
4518 upvotes
Toronto
I had already noticed them consolidating quite a few locations in downtown Toronto, not surprising since there was one almost every block. Even now, they could make do with less locations.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7400 posts
1575 upvotes
Scarborough
Use that balance or risk using it
Why still holding on to it despite the risk
Use it or lose it
Jan 20, 2013
415 posts
226 upvotes
So I'm guessing ordering through the Starbucks app and picking it up is no longer available? Has to be delivered through one of SkipTheDishes or UberEats' absurd rates?

If so, that's disappointing. There was a 16-20 car lineup at one Starbucks recently in my suburb, and I saved myself the long wait by ordering through Starbucks' app and picking it up at the entrance. Only 1 person was ahead of me (1 person in-store at a time). You could only step about 4-5 feet into the store before there were barriers from going further. Only criticism would be that the entrance door had to be touched in order to pull it open.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1569 posts
781 upvotes
Toronto
onquest wrote: So I'm guessing ordering through the Starbucks app and picking it up is no longer available? Has to be delivered through one of SkipTheDishes or UberEats' absurd rates?

If so, that's disappointing. There was a 16-20 car lineup at one Starbucks recently in my suburb, and I saved myself the long wait by ordering through Starbucks' app and picking it up at the entrance. Only 1 person was ahead of me (1 person in-store at a time). You could only step about 4-5 feet into the store before there were barriers from going further. Only criticism would be that the entrance door had to be touched in order to pull it open.
The original post is outdated and is a response during early days (March) of the pandemic. Many Starbucks locations are now opened for walk ins: https://stories.starbucks.ca/en/stories ... -covid-19/
Updated as of 8 a.m. May 28

STARBUCKS CANADA WELCOMES CUSTOMERS BACK IN STORES WITH GRAB-AND-GO SERVICE
With partner (employee) and customer safety top of mind, Starbucks Canada is set to open its cafe doors and welcome customers for walk-in take-out orders. By this weekend, two-thirds of stores across Canada will offer grab-and-go service, which means customers can go inside a cafe to place their order to go, but all in-cafe and patio seating will remain closed.

The grab-and-go model continues to prioritize safety. When a customer walks into a cafe to order at the counter, they will notice floor markers and signage directing them where to stand to remain physically distant. There will also be a plexi-shield at the POS as an added barrier to protect partners and customers. Partners will wear facial coverings and adhere to Starbucks safety measures.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)