FREE COFFEE at Starbucks this Wednesday Sept 29

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2021 11:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7838 posts
2222 upvotes
Toronto
KanataKG wrote: Has very little to do with CRB. Most people who are collecting CRB are not going back to shitty fast food jobs even if it ends.
But I bet, if you need money, what/where will you go/do?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6490 posts
6395 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: But I bet, if you need money, what/where will you go/do?
Anywhere else... jobs are plentiful basically everywhere right now.. even retail is better than fast food.

Would you take a restaurant / fast food job right now for low pay and crappy/unstable hours when you can easily find work elsewhere? With the current state of restaurants, I'd be scared of the restaurant closing randomly or shutting down permanently.
Jun 8, 2019
476 posts
568 upvotes
Everyone is forgetting we are still in a PANDEMIC. Very irresponsible for businesses to create such deals that encourage line-ups and crowding.
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2539 posts
1304 upvotes
roedoe wrote: Everyone is forgetting we are still in a PANDEMIC. Very irresponsible for businesses to create such deals that encourage line-ups and crowding.
Most on the board is commenting very low foot traffic including myself, walk in and out in less than a minute. unless your experience is different then i’d understand your rant.
PSN: Sakaban
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2004
1104 posts
520 upvotes
roedoe wrote: Everyone is forgetting we are still in a PANDEMIC. Very irresponsible for businesses to create such deals that encourage line-ups and crowding.
blah blah

I didn't see any lineups or crowding. Just stay home for another year.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3468 posts
3584 upvotes
Montreal, QC
KanataKG wrote: Has very little to do with CRB. Most people who are collecting CRB are not going back to shitty fast food jobs even if it ends.
I would not be so quick to say that.

Some have taken the opportunity to get some sort of additional education/training to be able to get something better coming out of this, and I commend them for that. It was the perfect opportunity and I wish them all the best.

With the exception of many students who do this for some summer jobs to pay for education/rent/etc.., Others are just abusing the system and will go back to begging for a job when the money train hits the terminus.

The lady running a bistro next to my office is having a hard time finding help. She offers a pretty decent salary (more than mw) and respects her employees by giving them as many hours as she can, while respecting their constraints of hour availability. However many just don't want to work, and many even tell her "pay me cash, and I'll gladly come work, otherwise, I'd rather stay home and get paid".

And if you think retail is going to be any better, I'd be surprised. When ALL of these people start looking for a job again, it will be the exact same issues in retail as there are/were in restaurants. You think retail is not at risk of closing down at any time, with crazy rent hikes, and low volume of sales ? They are just as vulnerable. And in order to work in retail you do need to have the character/personality for it. Some have none.

So I agree, that all this "help:" has gone on long enough. With so many openings out there, there is no reason to pay them to sit at home any more. Let them go out there, get a job, and choose to help out the employers "they consider" to be fair.
Jul 22, 2006
592 posts
1114 upvotes
It would be irresponsible if Starbucks put a big sign up in store saying FREE COFFEE (with "bring your own mug" in fine print) but they haven't. It also wasn't advertised with any type of commercial. As most have reflected there haven't been much for line-ups or crowding. It just seemed like a normal day at Starbucks.

So in conclusion, quite a responsible way to run a free coffee promotion in a pandemic, very low key.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6490 posts
6395 upvotes
Emporium wrote: So I agree, that all this "help:" has gone on long enough. With so many openings out there, there is no reason to pay them to sit at home any more. Let them go out there, get a job, and choose to help out the employers "they consider" to be fair.
The "help" is barely enough to pay rent lmao. There are very few former restaurant/fast food workers that are just sitting back and doing nothing while collecting CRB. Those who are, have no intention of going back. Sure, a small number of people will be forced to accept crap job once CRB ends, but that is not going to solve the "labour shortage", not even close.

Restaurants could barely keep their staff and had hiring issues long before covid
Jul 16, 2019
241 posts
405 upvotes
Thanks OP, this couldn’t have been easier. Regretted not going earlier in the day and getting more than one.
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 30th, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Nov 9, 2020
256 posts
454 upvotes
Maple
Thanks OP - Just grabbed one at Major Mac and Weston.
Do you need it or do you want it?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3468 posts
3584 upvotes
Montreal, QC
KanataKG wrote: The "help" is barely enough to pay rent lmao. There are very few former restaurant/fast food workers that are just sitting back and doing nothing while collecting CRB. Those who are, have no intention of going back. Sure, a small number of people will be forced to accept crap job once CRB ends, but that is not going to solve the "labour shortage", not even close.

Restaurants could barely keep their staff and had hiring issues long before covid
I guess it all depends on what part of the Country you live in. And not everyone lives in a large home, and many times, not even alone, so many are sharing rent. Not saying they are living in luxury, but there are more than you think that are sitting back and doing nothing.

I know the restaurant business quite well. I worked in many of the busiest restaurants in Montreal for nearly 15 years, and I finally got out. It is no fun, agreed. And you have some old school owners who abuse workers, sure. But the truth is, it is very consumer driven. Many of the smaller restaurant owners BARELY make a semi decent salary, and often work 90+hrs a week. Customers always complain that prices are too high, employees complain that salary is too low, and you need to find a compromise somewhere in between. If the employee gets a $5/hr raise, well guess what, the cost will be passed onto the consumers. Eventually consumers will find prices too high, and will no longer go to the restaurant or less frequently, and then restaurant will have to let go some workers due to lack of work. It is a viscous circle.

Bottom line however, restaurant or not, since there are SO many available jobs (and there is no debate about that), there is NO need to continue paying this to workers. Go out and get the job you like/want. And if you fail at that, get the job that you CAN get and are qualified for. When there is a shortage of workers across the country, why are we paying them to stay home ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8704 posts
4596 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Emporium wrote: I guess it all depends on what part of the Country you live in. And not everyone lives in a large home, and many times, not even alone, so many are sharing rent. Not saying they are living in luxury, but there are more than you think that are sitting back and doing nothing.

I know the restaurant business quite well. I worked in many of the busiest restaurants in Montreal for nearly 15 years, and I finally got out. It is no fun, agreed. And you have some old school owners who abuse workers, sure. But the truth is, it is very consumer driven. Many of the smaller restaurant owners BARELY make a semi decent salary, and often work 90+hrs a week. Customers always complain that prices are too high, employees complain that salary is too low, and you need to find a compromise somewhere in between. If the employee gets a $5/hr raise, well guess what, the cost will be passed onto the consumers. Eventually consumers will find prices too high, and will no longer go to the restaurant or less frequently, and then restaurant will have to let go some workers due to lack of work. It is a viscous circle.

Bottom line however, restaurant or not, since there are SO many available jobs (and there is no debate about that), there is NO need to continue paying this to workers. Go out and get the job you like/want. And if you fail at that, get the job that you CAN get and are qualified for. When there is a shortage of workers across the country, why are we paying them to stay home ?
It is a common wealth system and the whole system in Canada train professional victims. Why we want to be victims? Because we can then blame everyone else for our misery. It is silly to be productive as we run common wealth system. As a victim, you have more power with zero responsibility.
We do bare minimum when we work because there is no reward to be productive and the more you do, the higher chance you make a mistake and get blamed.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Jun 22, 2016
429 posts
319 upvotes
Not important
canlabman wrote: It would be irresponsible if Starbucks put a big sign up in store saying FREE COFFEE (with "bring your own mug" in fine print) but they haven't. It also wasn't advertised with any type of commercial. As most have reflected there haven't been much for line-ups or crowding. It just seemed like a normal day at Starbucks.

So in conclusion, quite a responsible way to run a free coffee promotion in a pandemic, very low key.
Apparently so low key that I had no idea this happened and I’m quite up to date with promotions. I have no idea how I missed this.
Mar 8, 2019
6 posts
Have Starbucks resume free refill for purchases made with Starbucks card or app yet?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)