Food & Drink

Starbucks to halt personal, in-store cups in U.S. and Canada due to rise of covid19 cases (news article 3/4/2020)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2020 12:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1187 posts
1744 upvotes
Toronto

Starbucks to halt personal, in-store cups in U.S. and Canada due to rise of covid19 cases (news article 3/4/2020)

Starbucks has announced it will stop accepting personal, refillable coffee cups from Canadian and U.S. customers in an effort to halt the spread of the new coronavirus.

In an open letter posted on the company’s website Wednesday, executive vice president Rossann Williams said stores in both countries will also stop using “for here” cups.

Customers who ask for those cups or bring in their own mugs will still get a 10-cent discount, but will be given single-use cups instead.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6632889/ coronavirus-starbucks-personal-cups/
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
3855 posts
47 upvotes
The signs are posted in store today...i had my reusable with me but was given a separate cup

I then asked why are not stir sticks and stoppers removed as well. As they are put out in bulk and everyone touches them
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3343 posts
2613 upvotes
rogue wrote: The signs are posted in store today...i had my reusable with me but was given a separate cup

I then asked why are not stir sticks and stoppers removed as well. As they are put out in bulk and everyone touches them
That's a good point same with the milk/creamer canteens. Everyone touches those too even more so than the stirsticks
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3343 posts
2613 upvotes
Should edit title to say they are also stop using mugs and plates in locations that offer in store dining/consumption

Wonder if timmirs will do the same but what about other restaurants? They use resuable dishes and utensils
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8800 posts
10079 upvotes
Vancouver
Both customers' own travel mugs, and the in-store-use ceramic mugs are no longer allowed? Is there any evidence that either is a transmission vector for COVID-19? The no in-store-use ceramic mugs policy really gets my goat. What do they think restaurants will do? Serve everything on paper plates? This sounds more like an excuse to switch to time-saving disposable paper cups and stop wasting valuable labour on washing dishes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7176 posts
3347 upvotes
I think this announcement is hilarious after all of the commentary in another thread about Mcdonalds and the reusable cup. The world just came full circle for me.
Mar 16, 2009
175 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Good. About time people realize all these re-useable cups, bags etc. are unsanitary and we bring back widespread use of one of the greatest inventions of modern society and a core part of North American life and convenience - plastic and disposable products.

These environmental extremists trying to destroy our modern way of life should be ignored. Hopefully refusal of using unsanitary BYO mugs becomes a permanent thing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7176 posts
3347 upvotes
jflex wrote: Good. About time people realize all these re-useable cups, bags etc. are unsanitary and we bring back widespread use of one of the greatest inventions of modern society and a core part of North American life and convenience - plastic and disposable products.

These environmental extremists trying to destroy our modern way of life should be ignored. Hopefully refusal of using unsanitary BYO mugs becomes a permanent thing.
You couldn't have said it better. It seems as if now WE REALLY DO HAVE something to worry about.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3587 posts
700 upvotes
Are they removing their door handles also???? If not, this whole thing makes no sense
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7176 posts
3347 upvotes
Engi-Nir wrote: Are they removing their door handles also???? If not, this whole thing makes no sense
Could it be because the cup touches your mouth, but the door handle not so much.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2254 posts
1544 upvotes
choclover wrote: Could it be because the cup touches your mouth, but the door handle not so much.
You touch the door handle then touch your mouth. Not much different. This measure is more about signaling "hey please still come and spend money, it's safe here!".