Shopping Discussion

Starbucks joins growing list of Canadian retailers requesting customers wear masks

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 11:02 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes

Starbucks joins growing list of Canadian retailers requesting customers wear masks

https://biv.com/article/2020/05/starbuc ... wear-masks

Starbucks joins a number of Canadian retailers, including T&T Grocery and Whole Foods that are asking customers to wear face masks.

Starbucks Canada is on track to resume operations in 65% of its stores by the end of this week and 85% of its stores by the end of May.

Starbucks press release:
https://stories.starbucks.ca/en/stories ... perations/
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 13th, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed "mandatory" to "requesting" in title
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2798 posts
2603 upvotes
GTA
If it's mandatory then it should say 'required to wear' rather than 'requested to wear'.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3479 upvotes
The NORTH
Its NOT mandatory. From the article:
Additionally, to protect our partners and our community, Starbucks Canada now respectfully requests customers follow physical distancing and safety protocols recommended by public health officials, including wearing a facial covering when visiting our stores. Although customers do not typically come in prolonged contact with partners or each other in Starbucks current modified operations, this additional step serves as an added layer of protection for our customers and partners.
They can request all they want but: 1. Damned if I can find a mask to buy that not over inflated in price and 2. I use the drive thru anyway and will not wear a mask when I drive.
Jun 3, 2010
971 posts
434 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kr0zet wrote: Its NOT mandatory. From the article:

They can request all they want but: 1. Damned if I can find a mask to buy that not over inflated in price and 2. I use the drive thru anyway and will not wear a mask when I drive.
It is not easy to buy the disposable masks...so I bought a few of the cloth ones and just wash them after I use them. It's not N95, but it is just a layer more than nothing.
Jul 17, 2006
201 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Yikes, this is going to be a long haul with attitudes like this.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3479 upvotes
The NORTH
Leafs_sundin wrote: Yikes, this is going to be a long haul with attitudes like this.
Really, you think it'll be helpful if I wear a mask while I drive my car? :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8569 posts
3959 upvotes
Markham
But why you go to Starbucks? Didn't we just bought KH or pilot coffee?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8569 posts
3959 upvotes
Markham

Request sounds mandatory for me
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1001 posts
793 upvotes
GTA

It seems curiously selective to be concerned about the cost of one mask but apparently not about the cost of repeated purchases at Starbucks.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2798 posts
2603 upvotes
GTA
I called Starbucks and they said it's a request not a requirement. They would like you to wear a face covering but it's not mandatory. Looks like another case of the internet spreading incorrect information. Whoever this person at Biv is should have clarified with Starbucks before posting.

Edit: The biv article has remove the word 'mandatory' from the article. I don't know if they realized the mistake themselves or somebody told them. Thank you OP or Mod for removing 'mandatory' from the title.
Last edited by tew on May 13th, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15121 posts
12203 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: Isn't it kinda hard to sip coffee while wearing a face mask?
Lol, not really ... when it’s a case of NO LOITERING

As it should be, during Crazy Covid

They want you in & out ASAP.

No drinking coffee. Get it AND GO / BE GONE ALREADY
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3479 upvotes
The NORTH
Jonric wrote: It seems curiously selective to be concerned about the cost of one mask but apparently not about the cost of repeated purchases at Starbucks.
Imma guess you don't go to Starbucks... I get a Tall Black Blonde which costs $1.85, the same coffee at McDonald's is $1.8 and the same swill at tim hortons is $1.80 so yea I do pay a nickel 'premium' for my Starbucks.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5795 posts
2918 upvotes
Mississauga
Not sure where your Starbucks is but around here a tall brewed coffee is $2.25.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8569 posts
3959 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: Isn't it kinda hard to sip coffee while wearing a face mask?
Probably for those who run small business in Starbucks