Shopping Discussion

Starbucks limiting rewards at Reserve Stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 7:22 pm
[OP]
Jun 9, 2018
35 posts
33 upvotes

Starbucks limiting rewards at Reserve Stores?

We went to the Starbucks Reserve Store on Main & 14th Avenue in Vancouver. We ordered a tall nitro brewed malt and asked for a reward to be applied. The barista told us it was a premium item and that rewards cannot be applied.

Has anyone else been denied a reward? The only limit I've heard about is that there's a $10 limit on the reward, no alcohol and no muti-items.

Strange thing is my buddy used a reward to get a nitro brew float a couple of weeks ago and that item is more expensive.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2159 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
I redeemed a reward at a reserve store with no problems about a month ago.

Did you actually try and redeem the reward? Or just leave it because of what they said?
[OP]
Jun 9, 2018
35 posts
33 upvotes
Strangely the cashier said that the drink was ineligible for the reward and refused to accept the redemption.

Very odd.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9313 posts
7697 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I constantly redeem for drinks over $10, so I doubt that's the limit.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1464 posts
1073 upvotes
Mississauga
Sam1969 wrote: We went to the Starbucks Reserve Store on Main & 14th Avenue in Vancouver. We ordered a tall nitro brewed malt and asked for a reward to be applied. The barista told us it was a premium item and that rewards cannot be applied.

Has anyone else been denied a reward? The only limit I've heard about is that there's a $10 limit on the reward, no alcohol and no muti-items.

Strange thing is my buddy used a reward to get a nitro brew float a couple of weeks ago and that item is more expensive.
never ordered that but used it on food which was over 10$ without issues. Try ordering in the app next time it shouldn't matter what the person behind the counter says.
May 28, 2017
70 posts
26 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The employee is new & he/she doesn't know what they're talking about, you should call Starbucks 1-800 # Re: Store episode they usually give you extra Stars back or go back speak to Store Mgr for a Recovery Drink Coupon or Save $4 on Next Drink on us cards. The only Starbucks Stores you can't redeem rewards are Airport locations (Private) or US Starbucks in Vegas Hotels. (ex-employee)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
4149 posts
4038 upvotes
Toronto
duderaf wrote: never ordered that but used it on food which was over 10$ without issues. Try ordering in the app next time it shouldn't matter what the person behind the counter says.
You must have ordered like 10 shots in ur drink...
To the moon
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4395 upvotes
Sam1969 wrote: We went to the Starbucks Reserve Store on Main & 14th Avenue in Vancouver. We ordered a tall nitro brewed malt and asked for a reward to be applied. The barista told us it was a premium item and that rewards cannot be applied.
If you're denied a reward that you know is legit, use the customer service form on the website and complain (make sure to enter your Starbucks Rewards card number and full name/address etc). Invariably within 24 hours you'll get a form letter apology and a free drink (125 stars) added to your account.

The rules are clear (as per their terms and conditions) - as long as the drink fits in a venti cup it's allowed for a reward.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2018
35 posts
33 upvotes
My wife actually sent an email to Starbucks the same day. They blew us off and said that they will advise the Starbucks.

I am thinking Starbucks is starting to be less responsive to their customer base.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2382 posts
1488 upvotes
Ottawa
Colashock wrote: The employee is new & he/she doesn't know what they're talking about, you should call Starbucks 1-800 # Re: Store episode they usually give you extra Stars back or go back speak to Store Mgr for a Recovery Drink Coupon or Save $4 on Next Drink on us cards. The only Starbucks Stores you can't redeem rewards are Airport locations (Private) or US Starbucks in Vegas Hotels. (ex-employee)
It seems like most kiosks in grocery stores are also private. My mom tried to redeem a reward at a Save-On-Foods recently but it wasn't possible.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2159 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If you're denied a reward that you know is legit, use the customer service form on the website and complain (make sure to enter your Starbucks Rewards card number and full name/address etc). Invariably within 24 hours you'll get a form letter apology and a free drink (125 stars) added to your account.

The rules are clear (as per their terms and conditions) - as long as the drink fits in a venti cup it's allowed for a reward.
You can have it in a trenta cup if it is iced coffee, iced tea or refreshers. I normally have a pink drink if they have the ingredients.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2159 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
Sam1969 wrote: My wife actually sent an email to Starbucks the same day. They blew us off and said that they will advise the Starbucks.

I am thinking Starbucks is starting to be less responsive to their customer base.
If that was me, I would try e-mailing again. You normally get 125 stars or $5 with a complaint like that.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4395 upvotes
cardle wrote: You can have it in a trenta cup if it is iced coffee, iced tea or refreshers. I normally have a pink drink if they have the ingredients.
I have several freebie "hacks" if I'm not at the Reserve Bar.
If I feel like "coffee ice cream" I'll have them make me a venti vanilla bean Frappuccino using heavy cream instead of milk and 6 scoops of vanilla bean powder then 6 ristretto shots affogato (poured overtop). This is the ONLY Frappuccino I ever order (and it packs a caffeine punch), Unicorns and the rest of them are candy in a cup for high school girls.
My other favorite is 36 ristretto shots (which is how many will fit in a Venti cup -- note you must specify ristretto or else only 20 shots will fit). That is a $30 drink. Always fun ordering this with a new barista who suddenly has that "deer in headlights" look!
If I'm at a store that has Reserve coffees and they have a particularly expensive bean for sale (like Jamaica Blue Mountain) I'll order a venti Clover-brew of that, double strength. That uses up at least 1/3 of the bag, thus increasing the value of the order....

At the Reserve Bar, I'll get the house affogato but have them make it with 4 hand-pulled ristretto shots (on the Black Eagle) of the most expensive coffee bean they have in stock.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4395 upvotes
cardle wrote: If that was me, I would try e-mailing again. You normally get 125 stars or $5 with a complaint like that.
I had one store manager try to deny me my 36-shot order (see previous post). I emailed a complaint and got 125 stars... which I promptly used to order another 36 shots from his store....
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4395 upvotes
Bunyak wrote: It seems like most kiosks in grocery stores are also private. My mom tried to redeem a reward at a Save-On-Foods recently but it wasn't possible.
When we used to have Target you couldn't redeem freebies at the Starbucks in those stores, but you could use your Starbucks Card and collect stars.

Starbucks at Pearson International Airport in Toronto, despite being franchises owned by HMS Host, redeem freebies. Wife (who travels more than me) has redeemed freebies at various airport locations without hassle.

The biggest gotcha is the one just inside the front gate at Canada's Wonderland - that store does not accept Starbucks Card at all! So you cannot collect stars nor redeem freebies there.