Tags:
[OP]
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2635 posts
4162 upvotes
Toronto

[Starbucks] Make a Single Purchase Before May 12 for Gold Membership

Today is the first day of the new Starbucks Rewards System and they have a pretty good offer to get it kicked off -- make any purchase before May 12 and you'll get Gold Membership. Under the new program rules, you have to earn 300 points in 12 months for Gold Membership so this is actually a really big savings! If you already have a Gold Membership, your membership will be extended for one year.

As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between the Green and Gold membership levels in the new program is that you can get free food/drink when you redeem 125 stars and you'll get random Monthly Double-Star Days.

There were A LOT of complaints when the new changes were announced (it really does favour customers who buy expensive drinks/pastries versus people who are just buying a quick black coffee) but this seems like a pretty solid effort to ease the transition.

I missed this initially, but as RestIsHistory points out, any Stars you accumulated at Green level will reset to zero when you receive Gold Status.
239 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10806 posts
677 upvotes
Scarborough
It's a transition but still a costly one.

Extending the gold membership doesn't really help much because the 12 days a year of double stars barely helps you reach the 300 when it was so much easier to just make 30 purchases in a year ($2 coffee) thats only $60 for gold membership.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6120 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
If everyone is gold, is anyone gold? :)
Nov 27, 2014
5 posts
23 upvotes
Haha I was just about to post this deal but you beat me to it! :razz: Anyways, here are the details (in case people can't find it):

Oct 25, 2015
51 posts
12 upvotes
Aurora
I go everyday for my black coffee so the new system sucks for me. Oh well, corporate trying to push them 10 dollar breakfast sammies.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6120 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
artsncrafts wrote: I go everyday for my black coffee so the new system sucks for me. Oh well, corporate trying to push them 10 dollar breakfast sammies.
Well they're more like $4.50
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2680 posts
1558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Been going to Starbucks for over 15 years since high school, in the past couple of years, I've grown to dislike their burned coffee and prefer local coffee roasters instead. Aside from summer months, I am almost never there. This new system won't make any differences for me.
Oct 12, 2011
473 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
I drink tea, nothing for me but thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1007 posts
231 upvotes
Mississauga
Gold is the new green.

Stars you accumulated at Green level will reset to zero when you receive Gold Status
Phone: Koodo LG G3
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
3069 posts
3030 upvotes
Oakville, ON
This is complete nonsense buh bye starbucks... so what did I get out of having gold prior to this...complaint and time to boycott starbucks for good..absolutely no perks getting to gold before this...starbucks getting ridiculous
Aug 26, 2004
331 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
This new star reward system actually cost us more money...
I used to be 12 purchases, and you get a reward drink, regardless of cost of the drinks purchased.

Now, you need to spend $63 bucks before you get a reward drink.

Yeah, we get "more" stars, but these stars are worth significantly less.
[OP]
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2635 posts
4162 upvotes
Toronto
RestIsHistory wrote: Stars you accumulated at Green level will reset to zero when you receive Gold Status
I missed that, thanks! I'll add it to my post.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4300 posts
411 upvotes
GTA
what happens to existing rewards? i had 2 yesterday and cant see anything now, did they expire?
Mar 4, 2006
493 posts
34 upvotes
They should have a separate star program for just coffee drinkers...
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
3069 posts
3030 upvotes
Oakville, ON
So let's get this straight

1. Reward system have to spend about 10x than normal to get a reward now.

2. No diffirence between gold and green.

3. If you were a loyal gold member prior you get screwed with absolutely zero incentive accumulating gold status before.

4. 2x "gold member days" really mean nothing seeing as everyones a gold member.

What a joke
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24876 posts
2013 upvotes
Markham, ON
lockec wrote: They should have a separate star program for just coffee drinkers...
starbucks dont want these customers ;)
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2046 posts
462 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
You have to spend $63 to get a reward now. $150 to remain gold. This will also cause those people with multiple orders to have just a single order which in theory will save time. This benefits me as I only go about once a month (typically only when they'd offer bonus stars on certain purchases) and typically spend about 12-15 per transaction. Now instead of getting 1-2 stars I'll get 24-30.