• Oct 22nd, 2013 7:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes

Starbucks ran out of sugar!

So I visited a Starbucks over the weekend and bought my usual Venti Pike coffee but I was flabbergasted to find out there were no sugar packets (white or raw) available for me to use.

When I mentioned this to the Barrista that they were out of sugar, they told me without much of an apology that the entire store was out of sugar and there wasn't anything they could do about it.

I quickly suggested to them they should warn other patrons of the lack of sugar in the store and for them to walk over to the Sobey's next door and buy some sugar supplies.

I noticed I wasn't the only one that was visibly upset and I figured that it just made sense to get some more sugar for your customers.

Am I wrong for suggesting this? I got very little response from the Barristas and was told 'it is what it is'.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
Not at all. You paid hefty premium price for a java and should get premium service. It I were you, I would simply return the coffee and demand your $ back.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Email head office, they will give you a few vouchers for free coffee.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
xwar wrote: there were no sugar packets (white or raw) available for me to use.
<snip>
I noticed I wasn't the only one that was visibly upset and I figured that it just made sense to get some more sugar for your customers.
Visibly upset over a coffee purchase??
:shakeshead: Starbucks customers... :shakehead:

I'm with 'booblehead' above, if you paid for your coffee with the expectation that sugar would be available (which is a reasonable expectation) and no sugar was available to you, ask for your money back.

Suggesting they go to the nearby supermarket to buy some sugar is fair game. Better yet, to "maintain consistent product quality and customer expectations" as soon as they realized they were running low (before they ran out) they should have taken the initiative to send someone to another Starbucks location to borrow some sugar until they could get resupplied properly.

As they hadn't done that and hadn't warned you before you placed your order, and as their staff's attitude sucked and their plan of action was to do nothing, smells like FAIL all around there at that location - it sounds like not having sugar was just a symptom of bigger problem. For sure, let head office know.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Starbucks is so strong, I can't imagine it without any sugar. I agree with the others, get a refund...Someone really dropped the ball...how the heck can a big business run out of supplies? And to tell the customer they aren't doing anything to fix it?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
Last week I went to the Weston/ 7 one and they were out of lactose free milk. The barista looked at me funny when I was debating whether or not I should get my drink or not. My intolerance is not joke lol
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
Really surprised they didn't take your suggestion and take some money out of petty cash and buy some sugar from a retail store.
But I guess that's how the food service industry is these days, no one cares really. Overall, sounds like a mismanaged location. which one was it?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
that will cut into their profit margin by 0.000001%. Not a joking matter. :D

stealth wrote: Really surprised they didn't take your suggestion and take some money out of petty cash and buy some sugar from a retail store.
But I guess that's how the food service industry is these days, no one cares really. Overall, sounds like a mismanaged location. which one was it?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
stealth wrote: Really surprised they didn't take your suggestion and take some money out of petty cash and buy some sugar from a retail store.
Most large restaurant chains have exclusivity contracts with their suppliers and are prohibited from going to other places for products (e.g. going to Sobey's for sugar).

That being said, there's no reason Starbucks can't call up another Starbucks and ask to borrow some sugar.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
dgnr8 wrote: Email head office, they will give you a few vouchers for free coffee.
+2.....given that Starbucks positions themselves as a premium coffee retailer complete for the entire experience (and you pay for that premium)....definitely tell corporate about your experience...they aim to make it right!
toeknee89 wrote: Last week I went to the Weston/ 7 one and they were out of lactose free milk. The barista looked at me funny when I was debating whether or not I should get my drink or not. My intolerance is not joke lol
wow.....that is crazy.....reminds me of the time that my wifey asked for lactose free milk and the barista used regular milk...

My wife wasn't laughing while on the toilet most of the day.....
Mar 12, 2007
38 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
toeknee89 wrote: Last week I went to the Weston/ 7 one and they were out of lactose free milk. The barista looked at me funny when I was debating whether or not I should get my drink or not. My intolerance is not joke lol
Wow, that's pretty inconsiderate of them to treat your lactose intolerance like that. But on the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen lactose free milk offered at any coffee shop including Balzac's (only has organic milk) which is a bit more hipster.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote: Email head office, they will give you a few vouchers for free coffee.
Thanks. I did this and they were very responsive (within the hour of emailing) ... they offered me a few free drink coupons in the mail and they are going to follow up with the store manager to make sure something like this never happens again.

Very impressed by the response time and good will showed afterwards.

I am just not happy the way things were handled in the store. Ah well, mistakes happen and hopefully it won't happen again.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12875 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
wowow mcdonalds actually goes to a different store or nearest place if they run out of something. I would expect Starbucks also
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
Mentochew wrote: Wow, that's pretty inconsiderate of them to treat your lactose intolerance like that. But on the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen lactose free milk offered at any coffee shop including Balzac's (only has organic milk) which is a bit more hipster.
The only reason I go to starbucks in the first place is because they offer lactose free milk. I'd much rather get a cheaper alternative if it didn't hurt my stomach to drink.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
xwar wrote: I noticed I wasn't the only one that was visibly upset and I figured that it just made sense to get some more sugar for your customers.

Am I wrong for suggesting this? I got very little response from the Barristas and was told 'it is what it is'.
Getting "visibly upset" makes you a baby. Stop acting like a baby.

Anyways, how Starbucks stores works is that they have to get everything from their supplier. A store that runs out of sugar isn't allowed to just go to Loblaws or wherever to buy sugar. The same goes with any of their supplies and it makes sense if they want to maintain consistency in their products.

The second part is that the Manager and Assistant Managers order the supplies for most (but not all) products in the store. They should've noticed that the store was running low on sugar packets and ordered more. However, it could just as well be that the supplier didn't have stock or wasn't able to deliver.

And third, the employees don't care. I imagine that any employee working at any other retail store would feel the same. It's just a job to them. They could pretend to care which seems to be what you were hoping for but let's be honest here, they're not going to care. It's out of the barista's control and up to the managers and the baristas can't exactly blame management while they're working.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1726 posts
723 upvotes
Im surprised they didnt run to a store nearby.

The place where I work has 3 Starbucks within 5 minutes walk of each other.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
If the store cannot or allow to source the sugar on a temporary base, then the shop should simply close down and send everyone home until the operation deficiency has been corrected. No ? That's the proper protocol, I say since you have put it this way.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
I have had that happen many times at Starbucks. Utterly clueless employees.
Nov 5, 2005
337 posts
10 upvotes
Markham
I've been to the one at Front and York and they were running out of 2% milk so the poor kid had to trek to the Longo's at Maple Leaf Square. He must of had to carry at least 14-15 bags in his hands and his back back. Had to give his manager a receipt and everything. So there definitely can go to stores to pick up supplies if it's necessary, and I think sugar is necessary.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
kevthewiz wrote: I've been to the one at Front and York and they were running out of 2% milk so the poor kid had to trek to the Longo's at Maple Leaf Square. He must of had to carry at least 14-15 bags in his hands and his back back. Had to give his manager a receipt and everything. So there definitely can go to stores to pick up supplies if it's necessary, and I think sugar is necessary.
I agree.