Food & Drink

Starbucks stars expiring

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:34 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
So my stars did end up expiring anyway, more than 1600 stars gone.

Even after I confirmed with a rep that my stars would not expire.

I emailed them yesterday and a woman, Heavenly W., said she was sorry and would add 225 stars my account and didn't see any stars expiring in November (well not now you idiot!, they already expired).

I was furious and sent them another e-mail with a lot of capitalized letters pointing out that the stars shouldn't expire and that an earlier representative had already confirmed it for me.

I also now have another email saying I'm losing another 100 stars in December.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
^^
Were you planning on retiring on the stars? I don’t want to be victim blaming but what was the game plan?
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote: ^^
Were you planning on retiring on the stars? I don’t want to be victim blaming but what was the game plan?
I always forget to use the freebies and my goal was to only use them for custom mobile orders, so I can add like triple shots and extra syrup, soy milk etc. easily.

I just always forget to do so.

I initially thought I'll use them for fraps in the summer but I never got any fraps this summer because the building I was working in ran A/C like crazy.

I used to buy the sandwiches/food because of the dollar value, but I don't like them, too much bread and filler.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
komal wrote: I used to buy the sandwiches/food because of the dollar value, but I don't like them.
Starbucks sandwiches are brutally bad. They have few vegetables presumably so they can keep them longer. Their dark roasted coffee doesn’t exactly enhance the taste, but even drinking water, I don’t think you can come away happy unless you hate vegetables. They are making me re-evaluate the value I had assigned to the stars. A Starbucks sandwich isn’t really worth $8 unless you are starving in an American airport.

A frap is just instant coffee added to milk and ice. Most work places don’t have blenders, but if you have ice and the energy to mix vigorously, you can imitate a Frappuccino for pennies.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
This whole stars thing where they expire, etc. seems like a disappointment. Why punish loyal Starbucks customers by forcing their stars to expire? It leads to an emptiness and a feeling like something was taken from us when in reality the loss probably SEEMS greater than what it is but it still leaves you with a negative feeling towards the Starbucks company.
Dec 28, 2008
139 posts
160 upvotes
choclover wrote: This whole stars thing where they expire, etc. seems like a disappointment. Why punish loyal Starbucks customers by forcing their stars to expire? It leads to an emptiness and a feeling like something was taken from us when in reality the loss probably SEEMS greater than what it is but it still leaves you with a negative feeling towards the Starbucks company.
I've been thinking the same thing: Starbucks is "handling" this star expiry business all wrong. The actual cost or value to Starbucks of a redeemed reward is very little, but the potential loss in customer loyalty is more significant.

To compare and contrast, I got an email from Second Cup the other day apologizing from some technical issues with the app. As part of the apology, they threw a free 150 points on my account. I hadn't noticed the app glitch or complained, but the fact that Second Cup took the initiative to offer a small "compensation" gives me feelings of goodwill towards the company. I have no such feelings toward Starbucks right now.