• Oct 1st, 2020 11:38 pm
[OP]
Nov 21, 2010
491 posts
314 upvotes
Surrey

[Starbucks] Triple Stars Day 2020-10-01

TripleStars.png

I know Starbucks is over expensive coffee, but some of us enjoy drinking over priced coffee.

Triple stars should be 6 stars per dollar. $67 would get you enough stars for a 400 point take home merchandise (i.e.: ~$20 tumbler).

We got an espresso machine during COVID, so I am thinking about getting some beans. What other kind of deals does RFD have in mind?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3095 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
chiisana wrote: We got an espresso machine during COVID, so I am thinking about getting some beans. What other kind of deals does RFD have in mind?
Buy a decent burr grinder before you worry about beans.

FYI when Pilot or De Mello roasters has a deal (20% off), I will order 1-2lbs. Otherwise I purchase whatever is available and tasty at my local roaster.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2010
491 posts
314 upvotes
Surrey
trane0 wrote: Buy a decent burr grinder before you worry about beans.

FYI when Pilot or De Mello roasters has a deal (20% off), I will order 1-2lbs. Otherwise I purchase whatever is available and tasty at my local roaster.
Thanks for the tip on burr grinder; there's an integrated one with our Breville Barista Express, might be a bit off topic, but do you think that is "good enough" for the time being?
Nov 2, 2011
64 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
I bought the same machine and I've discovered that the grinder on the BE stiiinnnkkks, more so with the consistency in the amount of grind than the quality of the grind. However it's serviceable, you just have to do a little manual dosing, so I'd say it's good enough.

Also Kirkland Espresso beans (Roasted by Starbucks!) has been a surprisingly great find @ $14 for 2lbs. Extremely tasty beans. Might not be as fresh as going to a local roaster more often, but I find I get more consistency with my shots with these beans, whereas the local ones need a little tweaking here and there occasionally. Also I don't have to pay $16-$18/lb! The classic Crema e Aroma is sold at Costco too.

Also I'm getting a PSL later because I'm basic so thanks for the heads up OP!
Jul 3, 2016
290 posts
213 upvotes
Are there actually any $20 tumbler that I can redeem for? I’ve tried looking for some but came up with nothing last time I tried
Nov 23, 2018
10 posts
20 upvotes
HankLeTank wrote: Are there actually any $20 tumbler that I can redeem for? I’ve tried looking for some but came up with nothing last time I tried
I believe they've changed it so that instead of having to select tumblers that are $20 and under (there are very few imo), you can redeem 400 stars for $20 off any tumbler and pay the remaining balance.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2010
491 posts
314 upvotes
Surrey
HankLeTank wrote: Are there actually any $20 tumbler that I can redeem for? I’ve tried looking for some but came up with nothing last time I tried
getsugatenshou wrote: I believe they've changed it so that instead of having to select tumblers that are $20 and under (there are very few imo), you can redeem 400 stars for $20 off any tumbler and pay the remaining balance.
YMMV I guess. I was able to see (haven't gone out to the store yet) $30+ tumbler that I could redeem with 400 stars.

https://imgur.com/b9wqJUe
Jul 3, 2016
290 posts
213 upvotes
getsugatenshou wrote: I believe they've changed it so that instead of having to select tumblers that are $20 and under (there are very few imo), you can redeem 400 stars for $20 off any tumbler and pay the remaining balance.
This is fantastic if true, I will have to ask
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3095 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
chiisana wrote: Thanks for the tip on burr grinder; there's an integrated one with our Breville Barista Express, might be a bit off topic, but do you think that is "good enough" for the time being?
Yes, that's good enough.
Feb 13, 2008
601 posts
273 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
My favourite Starbucks closed because of increasing crime in Old Strathcona, Edmonton. Sadly, I have to pass. Crying Face
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1058 posts
606 upvotes
Robidas Island
40 bonus pts / purchase >>> triple stars