• Mar 18th, 2011 4:50 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON

Starbucks wants to leave slow selling Tassimo

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-0 ... sales.html

FYI for those looking into buying a single serve Coffee Machine. Tassimo's days are numbered, Keurig is the winner. Reminds me of the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray war.

Everyone that I know whose bought a Tassimo has sold it and bought a Keurig. Keurig has several hundred different types of Coffee and Beverages available and it tastes way better and machine is more practical.

Update - Starbucks is now changing their logo, could this mean a future merger.....
http://www.starbucks.com/preview

UPDATE FEBRUARY 2011
Stock up on Starbucks for your Tassimo, they will be gone as of March 1st, 2011. They will likely be heading to Keurig with Green Mountain.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11007526 ... en=GOOGLEN
http://www.tickerspy.com/newswire/?p=4039

FINAL UPDATE - DONE DEAL - Starbucks on Keurig, goodbye Tassimo
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-1 ... ystem.html
62 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6385 posts
1743 upvotes
^ Kudos to Post #3000

I think it is still too early to call a winner. Without Sbx, tassimo is definitely losing its ace, which could spell the beginning of the end.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6738 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
tomtomtom wrote: ^ Kudos to Post #3000

I think it is still too early to call a winner. Without Sbx, tassimo is definitely losing its ace, which could spell the beginning of the end.

If the article is accurate in Keurig having 71% of the market and Tassimo 2.6%, I think the end's pretty much here...
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Manatus wrote: If the article is accurate in Keurig having 71% of the market and Tassimo 2.6%, I think the end's pretty much here...

Those market share numbers are from the States where that is definitely the case, I think in Canada they'd be higher for Tassimo, but I don't see a bright future for them.

ps. TomTom, thanks for the comments, didn't even realize it!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6367 posts
245 upvotes
I just bought the Keurig Platinum at Costco (USA) for $139 and it has 60 K-cups. Figured it's a good price. They didn't have them in stock until a couple of days ago as they sold out at Xmas. They had several of the other ones though. Has anyone used the Dolce Gusto? We have that one and it's great for the foamy drinks. Bought the Keurig as an added one but figure we'll use it more than the Dolce Gusto.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6738 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
sixer wrote: Those market share numbers are from the States where that is definitely the case, I think in Canada they'd be higher for Tassimo, but I don't see a bright future for them.

ps. TomTom, thanks for the comments, didn't even realize it!

I think if it fails in the States, it'll disappear in Canada just as fast. These things are so dependent on the refills, and once it looks like American producers aren't going to keep making them, no one's going to risk getting stuck with an expensive, useless machine. I don't even drink Starbucks and I'd never buy the machine now that it looks like Starbucks wants out, just because of the message it sends.
Jan 4, 2011
100 posts
76 upvotes
deltone wrote: I just bought the Keurig Platinum at Costco (USA) for $139 and it has 60 K-cups. Figured it's a good price. They didn't have them in stock until a couple of days ago as they sold out at Xmas. They had several of the other ones though. Has anyone used the Dolce Gusto? We have that one and it's great for the foamy drinks. Bought the Keurig as an added one but figure we'll use it more than the Dolce Gusto.

We bought the Keurig, and are happy with it.

The K-cups are pricey, though: 18 for $13, which is about 72 cents a cup. Is there a cheaper place to get them?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6738 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
DavidLeR wrote: We bought the Keurig, and are happy with it.

The K-cups are pricey, though: 18 for $13, which is about 72 cents a cup. Is there a cheaper place to get them?

Costco has them for $24.99 for 48, but only a couple of flavours per store (Van Houtte House Blend and Colombian seem popular in GTA stores). Futureshop often has sales on them (there was a buy 3 get 1 free a week or so ago). There are also some online stores like http://www.singlecup.ca/.

If you like the teas, I've found that most of them are good for at least 2 runs through the k-cup, which helps.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
DavidLeR wrote: We bought the Keurig, and are happy with it.

Hey David, these guys have the best prices and selection of K-Cups in Canada.

http://www.ecscoffee.com/
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Manatus wrote: I think if it fails in the States, it'll disappear in Canada just as fast. These things are so dependent on the refills, and once it looks like American producers aren't going to keep making them, no one's going to risk getting stuck with an expensive, useless machine. I don't even drink Starbucks and I'd never buy the machine now that it looks like Starbucks wants out, just because of the message it sends.

I agree, I think in several years we might not even see the Tassimo in the majority of stores. Keurig is just that much better.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6385 posts
1743 upvotes
sixer wrote: I agree, I think in several years we might not even see the Tassimo in the majority of stores. Keurig is just that much better.

I have just looked at the brand of T disc offered. I was surprised at the selection aside from Starbucks and Tazo Tea. Nabob? Maxwell house? That's really low.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11979 posts
3170 upvotes
Edmonton
My wife and I have never understood the fascination with these machines. I don't drink coffee at all.

She's a die hard Tim Hortons fan - I buy large cans of Tim Horton's grounds and French Vanilla mix to keep her happy, and to save money.

I can't fathom spending 25 cents a cup for home brewed coffee, let alone 72+ cents, on top of spending $100+ for the machine.

If the Tassimo fails as it looks like it's going to, I'd expect the K-cups to follow within 3-5 years imoh. Too expensive and gimmicky.
May 17, 2007
166 posts
32 upvotes
We have both Keurig and Tassimo and we like them both very much. We use Keurig to make regular coffee and Tassimo for other kinds. My fave is Chai Tea Latte (yum!) and my husband's is Cafe Crema which are both made with Tassimo. I don't really care for Starbucks's T-disc coffee so I'm ok if Starbucks stop making them... unless of course, everyone else stops too.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote: My wife and I have never understood the fascination with these machines. I don't drink coffee at all.

She's a die hard Tim Hortons fan - I buy large cans of Tim Horton's grounds and French Vanilla mix to keep her happy, and to save money.

I can't fathom spending 25 cents a cup for home brewed coffee, let alone 72+ cents, on top of spending $100+ for the machine.

If the Tassimo fails as it looks like it's going to, I'd expect the K-cups to follow within 3-5 years imoh. Too expensive and gimmicky.

For me it is an enviromental issue. Those plastic K-Cups are *NOT* recyclable nor are they biodegradable. Using them daily generates huge amounts of useless garbage.

This is compared to grounds and filters, which are actually great compost.

I have this single-serve brewer and honestly do not understand what the fuss is with K-cups. I grind my own coffee ever morning from two scoops of beans, throw it in the machine with a filter, and hit go. Brews right into my mug and takes all of 30 seconds to prepare, tops. If I was using pre-ground, it would be just as quick and instant as K-cups, but without all the garbage, and a fraction of the cost.

Oh and I have the side benefit of having the ability of making a pot when people come over instead of everyone wasting their time making their own.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2022 posts
41 upvotes
This is unfortunate news, I actually like my Tassimo and if Starbucks bails guess I'll be using it to make hot water for teas. Looking forward to Keurig deals the next holiday season.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1542 posts
986 upvotes
Vancouver
blainehamilton wrote: I can't fathom spending 25 cents a cup for home brewed coffee, let alone 72+ cents, on top of spending $100+ for the machine.

Doubtful.

I'm not a coffee drinker either, so while I can't imagine getting one of these for home use, these are very popular in the office. They're simple and convenient. So as long as lazy people exist, these will too. Cost rarely matters since they're paid for by the company anyways.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
For the posters saying on here they don't understand these machines is because you don't own one.

Bottom line is a Freshly Brewed Cup of Coffee on a Keurig in less then 2 minutes for around 50 to 60 cents that tastes waaaaay better then Tim Hortons! The machine can also be used for just plain hot water in making Tea and offers over several hundred different types of coffees and other beverages. Don't hate on the machine if you don't own one.

Anyways, back to this thread, Starbucks is now changing their logo, wonder if a merger is on the way.....
http://www.starbucks.com/preview
Jan 4, 2011
100 posts
76 upvotes
The big advantage with the K-cups, is there's never any stale coffee to throw out - you only make what you will drink, and it's fast to just brew up another one.

Also, you can have lots of different kinds on hand, without having to buy a bunch of different tins or bags, that get more stale each day.

If you have people with different tastes, you don't have to take a vote on whether to make decaf or caf.

The price sure is steep though (get it? "steep"?), but we have the little basket you can put your own grounds in. It looks like a pain to clean after each cup, though, and we've never used it.
brunes wrote: For me it is an enviromental issue.
Agreed. Our kids are opposed to it for that reason.
brunes wrote: I have this single-serve brewer and honestly do not understand what the fuss is with K-cups.
I found more at http://www.coffee-maker-review.net/hami ... maker.html

Some people gave it poor reviews, but I see your point. Maybe I can talk my wife into something like this, for our next coffee maker.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)