Ongoing Deal Discussion

Starlink

Starlink beta is live shipping in CANADA! (rural broadband internet, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2023 9:32 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays
b166er1337 wrote: Actually it did work.

More than a year ago, I was watching the second or third 60-satellite train passing overhead. The train was bright and frankly a sight to be held. It was over Lake Louise and others tourists had the same awe reaction.

Now there are so many more Starlink satellites in orbit and they are very difficult to be seen now. The Vox article was published a year ago and a lot have changed.
Correct. This time last year, we would use this site and have 5-10 timings each night that we could watch the train. https://findstarlink.com/#50.51,North,116.03,West;3
I would alert the guests at our resort (if it was clear) and they would be gobsmacked. Now, we never see them, which is a good thing really, because we're fans of our terrific night sky. (Our dog was barking at Orion a couple of nights ago!)
Sep 24, 2012
38 posts
23 upvotes
Alberta
how is $129/month for internet a hot deal? How?

I know that speed must be drastically faster, but $130 when you can pay $55 and have great interenet speed?!! What's the rush?
Jan 26, 2011
730 posts
635 upvotes
Gatineau
ngadhno2000 wrote: how is $129/month for internet a hot deal? How?

I know that speed must be drastically faster, but $130 when you can pay $55 and have great interenet speed?!! What's the rush?
It's for the 45% of people who live in rural areas and do not have access to what you and I are paying. Like $100+/month for 5 Mbps and a 30 GB limit.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays

You really should read at least some of the thread before commenting.
Aug 5, 2008
300 posts
132 upvotes
Rawdon
I've had my fingers crossed for this deal for months now. Buying a new house in an area where my best Internet connection option will be for a 6mb DSL that will actually over between 2/4mb with spotty reliability at best. I registered for Starlkink beta since the early days where we could.
-------------------
“All depends on how determined we are to be successful.” – Robert Kiyosaki
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
One has to wonder if Nortel was a better run organization, why Canada could not have been a world leader instead of StarLink which may be using a few Nortel's patents?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10228 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
pauldryan wrote: My understanding was that these small low orbit satellites have limited capacity to manage multiple connections simultaneously, hence the geographic restrictions imposed by Starlink. It's doubtful that they will ever allow unmanaged relocations of the terrestrial receiving equipment by subscribers because of the possibility of overwhelming the capacity of a single satellite node.
Well, unless of course that node has capacity.

Each satellite only can handle so many customers, if you miss out on the "early beta", you'll be stuck with $100 for 5 Mbps or SLOWER, a WORSE ping and a 30-40 gigabyte download limit with Bell/Telus/Rogers. So YES, it's a BURNING HOT DEAL for a rural person to sign up before the satellite is full.
Banned
Apr 8, 2015
345 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver, ON
So what happens when the satellite train is on the other side of the world and you get no internet access?
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
pongster wrote: Hot because you can give a big FU :facepalm: to Rogers and Bell
Cheers to that man!
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
jamesdavid3 wrote: So what happens when the satellite train is on the other side of the world and you get no internet access?
You launch many more satellites into orbit so the train stretches across the planet? Winking Face
Banned
Apr 8, 2015
345 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver, ON
b166er1337 wrote: You launch many more satellites into orbit so the train stretches across the planet? Winking Face
So at the moment, you do get times of no internet access at all due to this?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10228 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
smacd wrote: Correct. This time last year, we would use this site and have 5-10 timings each night that we could watch the train. https://findstarlink.com/#50.51,North,116.03,West;3
I would alert the guests at our resort (if it was clear) and they would be gobsmacked. Now, we never see them, which is a good thing really, because we're fans of our terrific night sky. (Our dog was barking at Orion a couple of nights ago!)
Amazon is coming with their Rural Internet satellites too :)
jamesdavid3 wrote: So at the moment, you do get times of no internet access at all due to this?
So I picked a DARK PURPLE zone (which has less coverage than a lighter purple):

This cell is covered on average 1401 minutes of 1440 for the day.
This is approximately 97.3% of the day.

https://sebsebmc.github.io/starlink-coverage/index.html
Last edited by yuprules on Jan 25th, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
jamesdavid3 wrote: So at the moment, you do get times of no internet access at all due to this?
There are occasional drop offs but there is a reason why beta is only open to those in certain latitudes.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
Come on baby I’m looking for this I signed up a few months back but still not available in bowmanville.

The way that the thread is going this will bring in more money than Tesla cars for ELON hahahahhaha who knew that most of us has shit internet lol. So Rogers and bell going to drop prices now lol
Jan 26, 2020
220 posts
176 upvotes
I placed an order for this as well, just wanted to get rid of f’n bell , $80 for garbage internet in Muskoka area. Alternatively, we have Lakeland available as well providing gigabit internet
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
torontotim wrote: When I can get Starlink (locations about 2KM east and a small bit north of me can get it now) I'll be running an ethernet cable 200 ft. to my neighbor's place and we'll split the cost.
Don't forget to setup QOS so that you get priority Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4995 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how tight Starlink controls the geo-locking of the service. I expect if I ordered it with a long/lat a couple KM away, my service wouldn't work.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2010
1255 posts
814 upvotes
Canada
jamesdavid3 wrote: So what happens when the satellite train is on the other side of the world and you get no internet access?
1 satellite will orbit the earth about every 90 minutes. That is why hundreds or thousands of these low earth orbit satellites are needed because you can only get signal from 1 satellite for a few minutes then it's gone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes

Must be living in a concrete skybox.

This deal is for the cabin in the woods folks.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1363 posts
336 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
torontotim wrote: I wonder how tight Starlink controls the geo-locking of the service. I expect if I ordered it with a long/lat a couple KM away, my service wouldn't work.
Apparently cells are about 15 miles / 24 kms apart. Not all cells are populated for service even if they lie in an serviced latitude. If your desired location is in the same cell area as your service location, it should work though there are issues with locations very near cell boundaries.