Ongoing Deal Discussion

Starlink

Starlink beta is live shipping in CANADA! (rural broadband internet, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2023 9:32 pm
Mar 26, 2013
336 posts
280 upvotes
Twin Peaks
WL1980 wrote: Must be living in a concrete skybox.

This deal is for the cabin in the woods folks.
It is for ANYONE that would like to virtue signal support for the kingpin of technocracy and all of its trappings. Keep in mind Grandpa Musk was militant technocrat and the Canadian Govt was after him big time, and we wont even talk about Daddy Musk, that is inappropriate for this forum.

Please do not assume why people buy things.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5380 posts
4995 upvotes
Toronto
Ctrl-Z wrote: Apparently cells are about 15 miles / 24 kms apart. Not all cells are populated for service even if they lie in an serviced latitude. If your desired location is in the same cell area as your service location, it should work though there are issues with locations very near cell boundaries.
This is what has me confused. There is a spot I can use to get signed up that is 1KM North and 2KM East of my actual location. If I'm near the boundary of a cell, so is that location but they're accepting it. And these are at 44.7 degrees or higher latitude, so well within the range people seem to think are working for the beta.

Will keep trying and hope for the best.

If it wasn't the dead of winter I'd order it and get up there to try it out, so worst case I could send it back within the 30 day money-back window.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
torontotim wrote: I wonder how tight Starlink controls the geo-locking of the service. I expect if I ordered it with a long/lat a couple KM away, my service wouldn't work.
Supposedly people have tried ordering it to different addresses and moving it and they didn't get service. I believe for the beta it is locked down but they have said they have plans to allow you to move your service around (ie. on an RV or people with multiple properties). I'm guessing this is going to be an additional charge/fee to have this feature. If you're only moving it a KM or two it might work, as the other poster said it depends whether that second location is still within your original "cell" area.
HuoShing wrote: It is for ANYONE that would like to virtue signal support for the kingpin of technocracy and all of its trappings. Keep in mind Grandpa Musk was militant technocrat and the Canadian Govt was after him big time, and we wont even talk about Daddy Musk, that is inappropriate for this forum.

Please do not post your incoherent ramblings.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
HuoShing wrote: It is for ANYONE that would like to virtue signal support for the kingpin of technocracy and all of its trappings. Keep in mind Grandpa Musk was militant technocrat and the Canadian Govt was after him big time, and we wont even talk about Daddy Musk, that is inappropriate for this forum.

Keep calm

and

Soak in hot spring under auora borealis.

White Horse and Anchorage were amazing. Will be back.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10228 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal

Can someone translate this into English? He thinks Musk is evil?
Jan 22, 2015
601 posts
671 upvotes
N/A
Got the notification that my Starlink order has shipped...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeee......

*sigh* :)
Deal Addict
May 26, 2010
1798 posts
1184 upvotes
Eastern Canada
Sarlink's got a faq page.
About moving you Sarlink dish to a different address..

https://www.starlink.com/faq
Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?
Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210126-010117.png
. . . .
Be Nice...
. . . .
Apr 1, 2008
304 posts
518 upvotes
ElDealioSupremo wrote: Got the notification that my Starlink order has shipped...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeee......

*sigh* :)
Same. Shipped from California on Saturday, arrived in Memphis on Sunday and was in Winnipeg this morning. Says Wednesday delivery, but I'm hoping we get it tomorrow (only live 30 min outside the city).
Nov 18, 2006
384 posts
27 upvotes
fonzy35 wrote: About moving you Sarlink dish to a different address..
Was hoping to use it to go back-and-forth to the cottage 120km away. Here's hoping the cells are large-ish.... Nobody's seen a map of those have they? I'm kind of going by how big the satellite radius of coverage seems to be on their dynamic map.
Last edited by jnmontario on Jan 26th, 2021 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jun 28, 2013
50 posts
80 upvotes
RICHARDS LANDING
jnmontario wrote: Was hoping to use it to go back-and-forth to the cottage 120km away. Here's hoping the cells are large-ish.... Nobody's seen a map of those have they? I'm kind of going by how big the satellite radius of coverage seems to be on their dynamic map.
Cells are about 15-20km wide. Unfortunately the 120km distance would not work :(
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
repatch wrote: FWIW, people should remember this is a beta, very beta, and coverage isn't perfect. Expect connection dropouts for seconds to minutes at any time of day.

Have a look here to see what satellites are in range for you:
https://satellitemap.space/?fbclid=IwAR ... oEPD6TGxUY
This is actually really cool. Given the first Starlink satellite was launched less than 2 years ago, the pace of innovation is astounding.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11269 upvotes
stvnsv wrote: Cells are about 15-20km wide. Unfortunately the 120km distance would not work :(
Do you have a source?

I've seen youtubers who brought their dish 30 miles from home and it still worked fine?
Mar 11, 2020
550 posts
229 upvotes
what's this? $125/month for home internet? whats so special about this and why so expensive
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays
cream4389 wrote: what's this? $125/month for home internet? whats so special about this and why so expensive
Please read some of the first few pages, even the title, which says rural broadband internet.
Jan 31, 2015
17 posts
8 upvotes
London, ON
Yeah but...it's internet from satellites in space. I think the price is justified given the R&D involved with this product.

My friends in rural areas tell me they pay a lot for garbage internet.
Jul 14, 2012
33 posts
13 upvotes
Bracebridge
nucats wrote: I placed an order for this as well, just wanted to get rid of f’n bell , $80 for garbage internet in Muskoka area. Alternatively, we have Lakeland available as well providing gigabit internet
If you have access to Lakeland Fibre why would you not go with that? I would jump on that in a heartbeat if it was available in my little corner of Muskoka.
Mar 25, 2012
211 posts
503 upvotes
NB
Some people in New Brunswick have access? I'm in rural SE NB and currently sitting on 3Mbps so I'd like to hop on this as soon as it's available. I'm surprised that anywhere in NB has it already!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)