Ongoing Deal Discussion

Starlink

Starlink beta is live shipping in CANADA! (rural broadband internet, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2023 9:32 pm
Apr 5, 2010
93 posts
42 upvotes
Winnipeg
I signed up back when it was announced cause I was curious don't really need it. Got an email couple days ago apparently its available in Winnipeg now R2V post.
Dec 30, 2004
303 posts
87 upvotes
Ontario
Noobzilla wrote: How much do rain and snow affect performance?
Still faster than Bell WTTH 25/5.

I have no complaints at this point in time after using for almost 4 weeks in the snow the entire time. I have mounted temporary until I can get up on the roof.
F6EF452B-C309-4414-B622-7AE82D38F099.jpeg
62910601-9F98-43E7-B93D-E2AEEDBAA7F6.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2019
1041 posts
1292 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…
Discounts for Starlink Customers or anyone excited about Neuralink, Musk's company wanting to put microchips in people's brains?
ALSO
What is the possibility of something similar to Negative Billing with no protection from Canadian Laws?

You still have to pay for goods or services you agreed to — even if you did so only unconsciously.
Credit card companies have a zero liability guarantee for unauthorized transactions. But you may be accused of giving your authorization, since you didn't read the pages and pages of terms and conditions that flew by online.
In a Visa Canada survey of web shoppers, just one in four said they read all the online text. Almost half said they skimmed it and 27 per cent read nothing at all before accepting a tainted offer.
Other Rights
If you are a resident of California, our CCPA Privacy Policy also applies to you. If you are located in the European Economic Area, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland (collectively “EEA+”), our EEA+ Privacy Policy also applies to you
Changes and Cancellation to Services.
Changes. SpaceX may change or discontinue Services plans, prices, these Terms, and Starlink Specifications from time to time. SpaceX will seek your consent before making any such change where required by the CRTC’s Internet Code. Otherwise, we will provide you with at least 60 days’ notice of these changes in writing before they come into effect and, by continuing to use the Service after the changes come into effect, you agree to them.
Agreement to Arbitrate.
The following shall not apply if and to the extent that you are located in any jurisdiction in which laws prohibit parties from entering into an agreement to exclusively arbitrate their disputes or to waive their right to bring a claim as part of a class proceeding within the context of a contract such as this Agreement.
Please carefully read Section 11 (Agreement to Arbitrate), which applies to any Disputes between you and SpaceX if SpaceX and the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (“CCTS”) are unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction.
Under these Terms, you and SpaceX each waive any and all rights to have a court or jury hear or decide any Disputes. Rather, Disputes will be settled by a single arbitrator in a binding arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) in accordance with the United States Commercial Arbitration Rules of the AAA with the seat of arbitration being held in the Toronto Metropolitan Region. To learn more about the rules and how to begin an arbitration, you may call any AAA office or go to www.adr.org.
Notice of Dispute. If you have a Dispute, before initiating arbitration, you must send a Notice of Dispute to starlinkresolutions@spacex.com describing your issue and your desired resolution. If your Dispute has not been resolved within 60 days of submitting a notice, you may initiate arbitration as described above.
Arbitration Costs and Fees. If you commence an arbitration against SpaceX pursuant to this binding arbitration clause, SpaceX will pay the arbitration fees and expenses imposed by the AAA directly. However, if the arbitrator finds your claim is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose, then SpaceX may seek reimbursement of any or all fees and expenses paid to AAA for the arbitration.
PROHIBITION ON CLASS ARBITRATION. YOU AND SPACEX AGREE THAT NO DISPUTE OR CLAIM MAY BE BROUGHT OR MAINTAINED AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION OR CLASS ARBITRATION OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR ARBITRATION, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE APPLICABLE ARBITRATION RULES WOULD OTHERWISE PERMIT CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDINGS. ACCORDINGLY, YOU AND SPACEX MAY ONLY PURSUE A CLAIM AGAINST THE OTHER IN AN INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND MAY NOT PURSUE A CLAIM AGAINST THE OTHER ON BEHALF OF ANY OTHER PERSON, AND NO OTHER PERSON MAY PURSUE A CLAIM ON BEHALF OF YOU OR SPACEX AGAINST THE OTHER. AN ARBITRATOR MAY ENTER AN AWARD ONLY IN FAVOR OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTY SEEKING RELIEF AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO PROVIDE RELIEF WARRANTED BY THAT PARTY’S INDIVIDUAL CLAIM.
U still have to pay for goods/services U agreed to — even if U did so only unconsciously.
A Visa Canada survey of web shoppers, 1 in 4 said they read all the online text. 50% skimmed it & 27% Read Nothing at all before accepting a tainted offer.
Dec 30, 2004
303 posts
87 upvotes
Ontario
Intense wrote: Still faster than Bell WTTH 25/5.

I have no complaints at this point in time after using for almost 4 weeks in the snow the entire time. I have mounted temporary until I can get up on the roof.
Real world Speedtest results
030CA521-8864-4877-A830-678857BDD0E7.jpeg
Banned
Feb 18, 2021
67 posts
228 upvotes
Too expensive for me. We are lucky to get great rural internet using Telus hub, which is much cheaper. For people with no better option this will be welcome, but it's on the expensive side for sure so I would try the alternatives first (there are lots of bad stories about them but for some people they work well).
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4912 posts
4932 upvotes
Ontario
Wormwhole wrote: Too expensive for me. We are lucky to get great rural internet using Telus hub, which is much cheaper. For people with no better option this will be welcome, but it's on the expensive side for sure so I would try the alternatives first (there are lots of bad stories about them but for some people they work well).
Most of the True Rural / Out of City locations have much more expensive usage, unless your an old man just checking forwards in the email once every couple of days lol.
---
Banned
Feb 18, 2021
67 posts
228 upvotes
kanechart wrote: Most of the True Rural / Out of City locations have much more expensive usage, unless your an old man just checking forwards in the email once every couple of days lol.
If you have cell service you can likely try Telus hub. If by true rural you mean people living without cell service starlink will be their only option, but that's a tiny amount of people.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3135 posts
1133 upvotes
Winnipeg
pberry wrote: I signed up back when it was announced cause I was curious don't really need it. Got an email couple days ago apparently its available in Winnipeg now R2V post.
Well hello neighbour! R2W also available- just got the email :)
Feb 15, 2021
244 posts
276 upvotes
MB-Formerly GTA
Wormwhole wrote: If you have cell service you can likely try Telus hub. If by true rural you mean people living without cell service starlink will be their only option, but that's a tiny amount of people.
Many true rural people like myself so have access to Xplornet. I cannot get their LTE service (too many obstacles between house and tower), so I have their satellite service which is painfully slow at times. All signed up for Starlink, cannot wait for it to get here. It’s a a little more expensive, but if the reviews are correct, it will be worth it..
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4912 posts
4932 upvotes
Ontario
Wormwhole wrote: If you have cell service you can likely try Telus hub. If by true rural you mean people living without cell service starlink will be their only option, but that's a tiny amount of people.
I guess depending on peoples usage. Their highest is 1TB at $115 then half of that at $80 so quite expensive especially now people moving into 4k. Starlink will let people finally move into the 4k and be rural at the same time. The real cost is the up front hardware not so much the $120 a Month. Most people are use to upfront costs rural anyways.

It's really a massive day and night diff. So unless someone offering something other then LTE like 5Ghz WISP I can't see people going LTE besides those with low usage.
---
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5639 upvotes
Muskoka
Fun fact while waiting for Starlink to arrive

I noticed on https://satellitemap.space/ ( the one with all the circles showing coverage) that Hawthorne Calf was one of the Ground Stations. This also happened to be the origin of the FedEx delivery for Starlink. This link shows a Google Map of the building. But if you scroll one block north there is another SpaceX building and it is covered in Solar Panels and the panels mark out a big "X" on the roof. Kind of fun

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9175,-1 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I've had Starlink for almost a month. No complaints, I get the odd Netflix freeze and service outage but at most that lasts for a minute (Usually less then 5-10 seconds). It's just sitting in my backyard on the grass, waiting for the spring to properly mount it to the roof with their pipe adapter. I see anywhere from 20Mb-75Mb but that speed really differs between Fast.com and Speedtest.net. It sure does beat 5Mb DSl which was the only option for me.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2019
1041 posts
1292 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…
Use DSL Reports much more informative
mxthor3 wrote: I've had Starlink for almost a month. I see anywhere from 20Mb-75Mb but that speed really differs between Fast.com and Speedtest.net.
U still have to pay for goods/services U agreed to — even if U did so only unconsciously.
A Visa Canada survey of web shoppers, 1 in 4 said they read all the online text. 50% skimmed it & 27% Read Nothing at all before accepting a tainted offer.
Feb 11, 2014
61 posts
41 upvotes
Haliburton
Had the Starlink for 3 weeks now.... super happy with it so far. Getting down speeds of from 30 mps to 160 mbps, depending on the device, fastest being a new laptop hooked up via Ethernet. Actually cancelled the BHell crappy 10/1 internet as of today. The BHell agent I spoke with was astonished and excited when i told him that i was using Starlink as it was his 1st re Starlink.
Next step for us will be to drop the BHell satellite tv which we've had for 21 years. PVR receivers are aging and have some issues so will need replacement eventually, at significant cost. No other options in our rural Haliburton locale.
Want to wait get into more streaming/IPTV services (legal of course) for the Starlink to be over with the BETA, as there still are some momentary glitches for a few seconds here and there due to obstructions, no satellite or BETA downtime. Most noticeable with Ooma when the line goes silent for a few seconds.
Currently using a mibox3 and another cheapo android tv box for kodi addons and livenettv. Not much memory on these boxes.
Looking for any advice on best IPTV services devices to get for streaming with PVR capability.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Parents finally received the box from Starlink. They're bringing in a pro to install it properly on the roof so probably will happen some time this week. Excited to try it out.

They don't trust their dogs to set it up temporarily with the tripod in the backyard. They'll either pee on it, chew it up, or both haha.
mxthor3 wrote: I've had Starlink for almost a month. No complaints, I get the odd Netflix freeze and service outage but at most that lasts for a minute (Usually less then 5-10 seconds). It's just sitting in my backyard on the grass, waiting for the spring to properly mount it to the roof with their pipe adapter. I see anywhere from 20Mb-75Mb but that speed really differs between Fast.com and Speedtest.net. It sure does beat 5Mb DSl which was the only option for me.
Nice thing about starlink is you know they're going to keep pushing the limits to increase the speed and decrease the latency, so this is really the floor speed-wise.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2019
1041 posts
1292 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…
repatch wrote: Hehe, I think that site needs to be updated!
I clicked 'satellite' and it reported my ping was below 54ms, so that can't be satellite! :)
What do you feel is more representational and accurate? Seems sites never get similar results
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2019
1041 posts
1292 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…
LOL This is the Regulatory Body that Granted Starlink Access to Canada.
Realize Almost no one has your back unless in their Sights/ Sites

Even after the Federal Court of Appeal's complete rejection of the incumbents appeals, the CRTC issued a new decision declining to implement its own order. The CRTC instead allowed the large carriers to continue charging grossly inflated rates until the CRTC decides on Bell and Rogers' further requests to raise prices and keep the overcharged amounts. TekSavvy is challenging the CRTC's stay decision, calling it "flawed and unreasonable".
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/i ... 84209.html
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11275 upvotes
HalfTrack wrote: What do you feel is more representational and accurate? Seems sites never get similar results
You misunderstand, I'm not saying that site isn't 'representational and accurate', I'm simply pointing out that assuming a connection with a ping of less than 54ms isn't satellite is no longer valid. Elon has broken that mold.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)