Home & Garden

starphire (ultra clear) shower doors... Worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2020 1:07 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1120 posts
480 upvotes
MTL/TO

starphire (ultra clear) shower doors... Worth it?

I have redone two bathrooms

Went with no bathtub, just large showers in both.

Tile is that fake white marble look with black finishings. Reno cost for each bathroom 15k each.. so not those 100k bathroom...if it were, i would just go with the more $

all is done, Just missing the shower doors.

Option 1:

Standard clear for 2 bathrooms = 4500$ with tax

Option 2

Starphire (ultra clear style) = 5700$

I haven't seen the glass style in person..it's for a duplex in Montreal but I live in Toronto.. is it worth the extra $$$? It's for rentals
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to imagine. I have Starphire glass shelves in our kitchen, because it eliminates the 'green' you see on the cut edge of a thick normal glass shelf.

We have a thick glass shower enclosure in the basement, and I've never looked at it and thought it could be more clear. The edges are all covered by one thing or another, and even if they weren't.

For a rental? Yeesh - save your money. $4,500 sounds high for 2 showers. I paid under $2,000 for a neo-angle 36"x36" corner shower.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3098 posts
4574 upvotes
West GTA
This is a rental. Unless it's a seriously luxury rental, you won't get an additional dollar in rent for the installation of a premium glass door over a standard one. Go with the cheapest one that is sturdy and looks reasonably good.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
When we did our shower we had the same option too. The regular green tint glass and the clear one however I think they also said that the clear glass has a coating on it that keeps it cleaner and easier to clean. We still went for the cheaper one and I just applied a glass Ceramic Coating to it (just like on a car windshield) and its been great, keeps it cleaner and much easier to clean compared to not having anything on it.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1120 posts
480 upvotes
MTL/TO
torontotim wrote: Hard to imagine. I have Starphire glass shelves in our kitchen, because it eliminates the 'green' you see on the cut edge of a thick normal glass shelf.

We have a thick glass shower enclosure in the basement, and I've never looked at it and thought it could be more clear. The edges are all covered by one thing or another, and even if they weren't.

For a rental? Yeesh - save your money. $4,500 sounds high for 2 showers. I paid under $2,000 for a neo-angle 36"x36" corner shower.
We have two showers 82 x 88 .. very large, pivots and hardware will be in black as per bathroom finishings..

Shopped around, it's the best price we found as of yet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5379 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sorry, the showers are 82 x 88 inches in terms of foot print? 7 x 7 feet?

Or is the shower 82 inches wide and the glass is 88 inches high? Hope you can find a bit of a better deal, but either way, don't waste your money on Starphire glass.

I also thought Starphire glass wasn't tempered... something in the back of my mind is telling me this. But if they're using it for shower enclosures, it must be.

If it was my house, and the shower was a real showcase in the bath, then I might do it. But never for a rental or a house I was flipping. You'll never see the return on the investment, and that's all this is - an investment. Invest the $1,000 difference and earn 5% on it.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1120 posts
480 upvotes
MTL/TO
torontotim wrote: I'm sorry, the showers are 82 x 88 inches in terms of foot print? 7 x 7 feet?

Or is the shower 82 inches wide and the glass is 88 inches high? Hope you can find a bit of a better deal, but either way, don't waste your money on Starphire glass.

I also thought Starphire glass wasn't tempered... something in the back of my mind is telling me this. But if they're using it for shower enclosures, it must be.

If it was my house, and the shower was a real showcase in the bath, then I might do it. But never for a rental or a house I was flipping. You'll never see the return on the investment, and that's all this is - an investment. Invest the $1,000 difference and earn 5% on it.
The entire glass product is 82 high and 88 wide. I'm not too involved in the details. Someone from the glass company came and did measurements and contractor was there.
Sep 1, 2014
524 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
Save your money, not worth it for a shower installation. I use it for saltwater fish tanks but obviously your viewing it for long periods of time. You will not notice it in a shower application.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)