Start.ca Price Increase

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2020 3:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2005
866 posts
57 upvotes

Start.ca Price Increase

Did you guys get the same email from your provider? I don't have the words, the big three are again controlling the market and winning the battle to make the internet affordable for everyone. Guess this will be the beginning to yearly internet price increases

-------------- Start.ca Email NOTICE: An upcoming change to your internet rate -----------------
Last year, after an exhaustive investigation, the CRTC announced it would be lowering the rates that internet providers like Start.ca pay to access internet infrastructure in Canada. As a result of this decision, we improved the speeds and prices on many of our internet plans.

Unfortunately, the big phone and cable companies in Canada challenged the decision in court and have effectively delayed the lower access rates from being rolled out. While we waited for the court's decision, we continued honouring our new plans to shield our customers from any increased costs.

Now, after a year of delays, the federal government has seemingly given in to the lobbying of the major networks, publicly stating their concern regarding the lower rates. This move has opened the door to further delays and challenges that will ultimately result in consumers across Canada paying more for internet services.

With no end in sight, after 25 years of business without ever raising prices, we have regretfully been forced to make adjustments to some of our pricing while we wait for the CRTC's decision to be enforced.

We are providing you with 60 days notice that on November 1st, your internet service plan will be increasing from $60/month to $70/month.

We're still optimistic that the Federal Court of Appeal will ultimately rule to enforce the CRTC's decision and that we will be able to reduce fees in the future.

If pursuing fairer internet rates in Canada is something that you feel passionately about too, we recommend reaching out to your area MP to let them know. Every voice matters.

If you'd like to explore different plans or if you have any questions, we're here for you. You can reach us by phone (1-866-434-5888), email (sales@start.ca), or live chat through our website.

Thank you for being with Start.ca. We appreciate your support.

Sincerely,
The Start.ca Customer Experience Group.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9545 posts
2161 upvotes
Somewhere
yes

understandable

all my hate goes to rogers bell telus, not start.ca

if anything, makes me feel even better giving my business to start.ca
:confused:
[OP]
Aug 23, 2005
866 posts
57 upvotes
yes totally agree, I have been with Start for 10+yrs for exactly the same reason
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5736 posts
3563 upvotes
I’m with Teksavvy and my price has increased twice in the past 4 months. The latest just sent notification a few days ago.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3148 posts
1699 upvotes
Mississauga
I got the same email from start.ca
Jan 8, 2009
807 posts
486 upvotes
GTA
We got the same email as well. It sucks but we've been with start.ca for over 3 years and this is our first increase ever. At one point they upgraded our internet package but left us at the same rate which was wonderful. I certainly don't miss having to call and haggle with Rogers every frickin year to get them to give a decent rate so I'm more than happy to give a small increase to start.ca and I don't think it /will/ mean constant increases.
Jun 1, 2017
664 posts
547 upvotes
Mississauga
I believe current customers will get a "break" and see a $10 increase as apposed to the $20 increase stated on their site for new customers.

Even though i am probably paying more for internet and TV with start than with robbers, i will continue to support them.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1219 posts
663 upvotes
Longueuil
iEyeCaptain wrote: yes

understandable

all my hate goes to rogers bell telus, not start.ca

if anything, makes me feel even better giving my business to start.ca
Our hate should also got toward the federal government with their latest public position siding with the big providers. This is likely what will make the big providers win in the end.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10024 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
I got the notification too I blame the big 3 trying to control internet pricing
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Dec 1, 2017
257 posts
206 upvotes
RaptorsLeafsBlueJays…
projectman44 wrote: I believe current customers will get a "break" and see a $10 increase as apposed to the $20 increase stated on their site for new customers.

Even though i am probably paying more for internet and TV with start than with robbers, i will continue to support them.
How's Start TV? Lag? Sports okay?
Do or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Triumph starts with a "try" and ends with an... "OOMPH!" --Memphis and Mumble
Dec 1, 2017
257 posts
206 upvotes
RaptorsLeafsBlueJays…
I got a different message since I was on a capped-data plan. Increase of $10. >.<
Jun 1, 2017
664 posts
547 upvotes
Mississauga
MercHuntIsle wrote: How's Start TV? Lag? Sports okay?
Its getting better with every software upgrade, mind you i don't use their STB. My daily driver is the Shield, or 4k Firestick. I don't get the complains from the other people in my house hold about freezing, and error messages that i did like 6 months ago.

Sports still seem to be suffering from lower frame rate. Hockey can be tough to watch, and I have both a lower end LCD 4k and a higher end plasma TV.
Dec 1, 2017
257 posts
206 upvotes
RaptorsLeafsBlueJays…
projectman44 wrote: I believe current customers will get a "break" and see a $10 increase as apposed to the $20 increase stated on their site for new customers.
CSR told me those on 30/5 paying $50 will get bumped to $55 with no other changes. Anyone here in that boat? How is that a "$10 increase as opposed to $20" (or in essence, a discount to existing customers over new? $55 for 30/5 is exactly the price point for new customers) I'm on legacy $40 plan with a data cap, being bumped to $50, hoping I'd get a bump in speeds as well, but CSR said no dice. >;{
Jun 1, 2017
664 posts
547 upvotes
Mississauga
MercHuntIsle wrote: CSR told me those on 30/5 paying $50 will get bumped to $55 with no other changes. Anyone here in that boat? How is that a "$10 increase as opposed to $20" (or in essence, a discount to existing customers over new? $55 for 30/5 is exactly the price point for new customers) I'm on legacy $40 plan with a data cap, being bumped to $50, hoping I'd get a bump in speeds as well, but CSR said no dice. >;{
im talking about the highest tier plan "rogers cable". It was 250/20 for $70. Now its at $90, with a slight bump in speed. Email received told me im now paying $80. Thats the $10 increase vs the $20 for new customers.

make sense now???