• Aug 3rd, 2020 5:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 7, 2018
928 posts
955 upvotes

Start.ca service?

Anyone use them?

I just signed up. Internet is substantially faster than my previous bell dsl which was capped at fibe 15.

Only problem I'm having is the android boxes start supplied don't seem to be able to keep up with normal TV watching. Lots of stuttering and video audio glitches. Internet is testing around 120 mbps through wifi so I know that isn't the issue.
13 replies
[OP]
Sep 7, 2018
928 posts
955 upvotes
I should add I have two boxes, I seem to have all of the issues with one of them.

I also have my own Nvidia shield and the start app works perfectly on that, much faster and more responsive than the android boxes provided by start
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3633 posts
707 upvotes
Kingston
If it is just one box, call Start and maybe do some tech support. Start has a very good tech support department. If that doesn't work, I am sure they will swap the boxes out and send you a new one.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9720 posts
3941 upvotes
Did you get there TV service as well?

Regarding speed, they seem to do much better than advertised.

I have a 60/10 package but constantly test 100/10.

**EDIT**

After checking my last bill, it appears they upgraded me for free to 100/10 without notifying me. That was nice of them.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200102-090942.jpg
Last edited by Gutty96 on Jan 2nd, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4659 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
Customer support is fantastic. Better than Bell or Rogers.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2409 posts
364 upvotes
North York
Mr. Robo wrote: Customer support is fantastic.
... Based on my personal experience, it's only fantastic if things go right, when they go wrong no one is willing to fix things. I wanted to stay with them - was a customer for years, and gave them tons of chances, but cancelled for good after 2 weeks of attempted service at a new address.

The tldr, moved to a new place, wanted to overlap service. I can't remember exactly, but it was something like a dozen phone calls, and 6-7 hours on the phone to sort out some really mangled billing issues over the 3/4 accounts they setup for me, they mailed out two modems, cut service twice in the two weeks it was active.

Rogers, and now fido (deal jumping) have been so easy to deal with in comparison.
May 29, 2012
527 posts
195 upvotes
Southern Ontario
i was with start for about a year and i thought they provided good service.
I would go back to them if my situation changed
May 31, 2008
166 posts
261 upvotes
I am with Start.ca for internet and highly recommend them especially for customer service.

It sounds like you have the TV package. Contact them or ask on their DSL reports forum.
I've never waited on hold for more than a few minutes when calling in, and using messaging was instant.

Was previously with Bell for almost 30 years who constantly overbilled and made it impossible to cancel services. Never again.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2642 posts
577 upvotes
Been with them for a number of years, for internet, and nothing but good things to say.

For the IPTV, did you have to rent a box? Was the app install easy on the Shield? And did you get it through Google Play? Just wondering how easy it would be to set up on a Fire TV.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20125 posts
4665 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Bumping this slightly old thread.
I've been researching ISPs, since I will be buying a house in another area, and I have to say that start.ca has very strong customer service.
I e-mailed start.ca a question about a certain cable modem, around 11 PM on a Saturday night , and within an hour, they sent back a detailed response, even with a link to a technical teardown of the modem hardware.

Good luck spending less than an hour on hold with ROBELUS, before you reach some minion in India who can't actually answer your question or provide any real help.
I'm probably going to sign up with start.ca.
superscoots wrote: Only problem I'm having is the android boxes start supplied don't seem to be able to keep up with normal TV watching. Lots of stuttering and video audio glitches. Internet is testing around 120 mbps through wifi so I know that isn't the issue.
Most of the modems supported by start.ca have the Puma 6 problem. Unfortunately it's quite widespread, and very difficult to get hardware of the current generation that does not have this problem.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6211 posts
2251 upvotes
They have excellent customer service, only problem is Rogers always has these promo plans for dirt cheap eg $35/m for 500u. Rogers customer service is the worst, tied with Bell
[OP]
Sep 7, 2018
928 posts
955 upvotes
I left start after a month.

Too many glitches with the live TV and overall interface wasn't pleased at all. Much happier with cogeco to be quite honest
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3474 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Been with them after switching from Teksavvy for years. Top notch service. Even though other places are cheaper, I just don't want to switch because of the service.