• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2017 12:59 am
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
75 posts
18 upvotes

Starting a business while on EI

I was working a day job while running a small business in the evenings as a hobby. now I'm laid off from my job so I guess I can apply for EI. I have never earned a dime from the business but I'd love to work at it some more until it can pay me an income (it's a corporation so all the funds are separate from my own)

Is there a program that will pay you EI benefits while you work on a business startup? I'm in Ontario

I searched the web and found there was the Ontario Self-Employment Benefit but they ended that program last year. is there another program like that?
4 replies
Dec 31, 2013
37 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
I was in a similar situation. When I lost my job I did apply to EI but after a couple of months start working for a client as a contractor (using corporation).
I called EI office and ask if I still eligible for EI, but the lady on the phone told, then as soon as I start working for a client, I am no longer eligible for EI. Even if I may be paid one month later.

It is not clear what is the nature of your business, but if you don't have clients, not selling anything yet, it may be ok to apply for EI. But you better call their office and verify.
Alex Shapovalov
Taxory accounting services
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6391 posts
2032 upvotes
If you are working on your business the same amount as you were before and continue to look for full time employment you can receive EI.
Dec 9, 2007
297 posts
56 upvotes
Montreal
baz5 wrote: If you are working on your business the same amount as you were before and continue to look for full time employment you can receive EI.
Not clear, can you clarify please
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6391 posts
2032 upvotes
tbtaoufiq wrote: Not clear, can you clarify please
You have to appear to be looking for work. If you tell them you worked on your business 30hours per week before you lost your regular job, then you tell them you'll continue to work 30hours per week on your business.