Starting to hate my new bmw, need advice on repair

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2018 9:51 am
[OP]
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
8 upvotes

Starting to hate my new bmw, need advice on repair

Bought a 2008 528xi from a used car dealership in toronto just last month no pre purchase inspection or warranty because I really liked the car and wanted to take the risk. Started having minor issues like tpm and low coolant and had those attended to. This month i've had my car not start due to cold weather 3 times,got caa to start it and decided i'd change my battery and went to a private dealer who installed the battery without registration. Within 2 days my car wouldnt start and I decided to take it to bmw brampton to get it registered and a diagnosis to get the car checked out and they have now been taking a week to determine the issue and they keep saying the battery loses charge and they keep charging it and trying to determine the issue. I am fed up should I get my car whether they have finished checking it or not and take it to another mechanic? what do you think the issue could be as well could it not be the battery ?
Last edited by Neil542 on Jan 22nd, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
105 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23204 posts
8161 upvotes
Toronto
you already have the car at the dealer now, you may as well let them figure out what the issue is so at least you know. 10 yrs old bimmer is a hit & miss buy.

If you decide you had enough, then take the car back (if it is driveable) to Ivo at Columbus Auto Svc 6741 Columbus Road, Unit 11Mississauga, ON L5T1J5
416-882-1439
Jun 19, 2009
875 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Any custom wiring that could be done poorly and is draining the battery? Aftermarket lights or head unit?
2017 RFD Damage:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE
Lenovo Yogabook Android - $330 + tax
[OP]
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
8 upvotes
Have no Idea what the problem is and why they are taking so long to determine anything and a week seems to be too long of a wait
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2644 posts
1530 upvotes
Montreal
Parasitic drain is one of the most difficult thing to figure out, unfortunately you are in for a treat. A neighbor has a Range Rover with parasitic drain and he's been trying to figure it out for almost 2 years, I still see him tinkering under the hood with a meter.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
BWM = Baller With Mucho Denero
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10712 posts
5147 upvotes
Toronto
I have a drain. Haven't been able to find it yet. 4 years and counting, lol. I removed all the aftermarket electrical components with the exception to the autostart.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3881 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:07 pm
I have a drain. Haven't been able to find it yet. 4 years and counting, lol. I removed all the aftermarket electrical components with the exception to the autostart.
Maybe it's the autostart
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10712 posts
5147 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:36 pm
Maybe it's the autostart
I know :( I just haven't gotten around to doing the work, so I keep a fully charged battery on stand by, lol. In less than 7 days I'll have a dead battery.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
8 upvotes
Wow can it really take that long to find the issue , will think of getting a different mechanic to look at it in a few days if the problem is not resolved. I can't imagine having this problem for weeks to come only have one car to drive atm.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11051 posts
4227 upvotes
Toronto
10 year old BMW with no inspection or warranty.....what could possibly go wrong?

Budget ballin’ at it’s finest