• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2021 6:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2010
407 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga

Starting a pet food manufacturing

I am looking into venturing into the world of manufacturing a space I know little about. I want to start with a small investment and grow as I get any traction in the market.

The part I need help on
1. I have not been able to understand what equipment I need and what it does. The only equipment that comes up on searches is extruder. Does the extruder do end to end (weigh, chop/grind, mix, dye, dry, bagging) or other equipment is required?
2. I have searched for equipment manufacturers on the net and there is a large difference in costs especially from China. How to choose an equipment manufacturer keeping in mind scaling up? If other equipment apart from extruded is required can I mix and equipment or all have to be from same manufacturer?
3. I understand iso certification may be required, any leads in how to get around to that?
4. Anything I have missed to account for?

Thanks for the help!
4 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2473 upvotes
Toronto
Just blend together a bunch of stuff using blendtec?
To the moon
Jul 31, 2017
330 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
With no experience in manufacturing, you should be looking for used equipment while you proof of concept whether you can actually make a product that people want to buy. Be the person that is buying the used equipment from a failed business, not the one that is selling it
[OP]
Apr 5, 2010
407 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks yes I am looking into that too but haven’t found much in terms of Kijiji et al. Hence wondering if I was looking for the right equipment at all.

Any leads on a good resource or business plan guide for this?
Jul 31, 2017
330 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
dealixious wrote: Thanks yes I am looking into that too but haven’t found much in terms of Kijiji et al. Hence wondering if I was looking for the right equipment at all.

Any leads on a good resource or business plan guide for this?
This might be a little tough love, but think about it a little. You've no experience with manufacturing, doesn't sound like you have worked in the pet food business and you don't even know what equipment you need. None of that is a recipe for success in a market that has VERY big players in it that you'll find impossible to break into with no clue what you are doing. Presumably it's a regulated market where you need a clean facility etc to be licensed to make a product that will be consumed? I am going to assume that you have at least developed a formula that a lot of dogs have tried and enjoyed? If so, how did you make those small batches and can you not scale it a little slower. Throwing money at a business doesn't make it successful. Strong idea, strong execution and strong management is what you need.