Entertainment

Starz TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s award-winning fantasy novel American Gods second season 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 3:18 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8494 upvotes
GTHA

Starz TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s award-winning fantasy novel American Gods second season 2019

from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ead-860061

'American Gods' Adaptation Finds Lead in CW Star
Ricky Whittle, a regular on 'The 100,' joins Starz's spin on the popular Neil Gaiman novel.

Starz's long-gestating spin on Neil Gaiman's American Gods is gaining steam, filling one prominent role. The drama has added Ricky Whittle, best known for appearing on The CW cult hit The 100, to play the character Shadow Moon.

“I'm thrilled that Ricky has been cast as Shadow," Gaiman said Thursday of the casting. "His auditions were remarkable. The process of taking a world out of the pages of a book and putting it onto the screen has begun. American Gods is, at its heart, a book about immigrants, and it seems perfectly appropriate that Shadow will, like so much else, be coming to America. I'm delighted Ricky will get to embody Shadow. Now the fun starts.”

Described in the book as a recently paroled convict, Shadow becomes the reluctant bodyguard of a mysterious con-man who goes by "Mr. Wednesday."

Showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green commented, “We searched every continent and country and all the islands in between for our Shadow Moon, and we are lucky to have found Ricky. Fans of the novel will find he has every bit of the heart of the character they fell in love with.”

Whittle, a British import, has also appeared in the feature Austenland and TV's Mistresses and NCIS. He is repped by TalentWorks and Creative Artists Management in the U.K. and Untitled Entertainment in the U.S.

This marks the first big development for FremantleMedia North America's adaptation of the award-winning book since it was picked up to series in June. American Gods is set to begin filming in April.

Has anyone read this novel?
Last edited by tk1000 on Jan 29th, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5149 posts
1410 upvotes
Aurora
Interesting. I find Neil Gaiman a thinking man's fantasy author. I read Coraline (made into an animated movie a couple of years ago) and The Graveyard Book but not American Gods.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5463 posts
2070 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I'm not familiar with the source material, but Starz's adaptation of the Outlander book series is well made and well regarded so far. (Historical fantasy.... Is that a proper term?)
Jul 24, 2010
68 posts
7 upvotes
Ontario
American Gods is a fantastic novel. Read it a few years ago while traveling and left it on a plane with 20 pages left. It wasn't turned in, and I gladly purchased another copy the next day to finish it. Have read many of his books, this was one of my favourites.

g.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3660 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
Can't wait... I've read this book a couple times, and have always thought it would make for an intriguing TV mini-series
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
[OP]
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8494 upvotes
GTHA
Starz has found its Laura Moon. Emily Browning (Sucker Punch, Legend) has been cast in the role in the upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed contemporary fantasy novel American Gods. The series will begin shooting in April.
from http://deadline.com/2016/03/american-go ... 201722126/

[OP]
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8494 upvotes
GTHA
Starz Reveals American Gods Poster and Premiere Date
http://www.tor.com/2017/02/23/american- ... ter-starz/

We finally have a premiere date for Starz’s American Gods, the television adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s novel from showrunner Bryan Fuller! Entertainment Weekly announced today that American Gods will premiere on Sunday, April 30. Starz also released a cool new poster for us to feast our eyes on, featuring Shadow Moon (Ricky Whittle), Mr. Wednesday (Ian McShane), and a very significant buffalo.
american-gods-poster.jpg