Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Stay 2 nights in Quebec City, get $75 GC

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2021 12:20 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2945 posts
3014 upvotes
Montréal
KravenHead wrote: Interesting advice..... First off one seriously cannot compare Fairmont Frontenac to an airport Holiday Inn.
Also, its going to be 80$ in taxi costs round trip from Ancienne Lorette to Old Quebec (pray there is no traffic/congestion).

If anyone is looking for a less expensive and closer alternative best stay on Laurier street in ST-Foy and be way closer to Old Quebec, malls and restaurants.
Heck Its also 1 direct bus (the 801) to Old Quebec if visitors don't want to drive.
The rooms are ok. Some have terrible views like at the the other walls of the hotel. Has a nice history display in the basement and its right on the coast so its a good view. The funicular right in front of it goes down to the coast
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2945 posts
3014 upvotes
Montréal
thesubmitter wrote: Quebec city is a lot like Ottawa but a bit nicer.

Ile d’orleans
The falls
Ste anne canyon a lot of fun (the actual climbing/activities)
Whale watching nearby
Touristic areas (Fort etc…) see the goat
Good independant trendy restaurants (not in the tourist area)
Galerie de capital mall is good
Aquarium ( i havent been but its good apparently)
Bora bora indoor water park
Siberia station spa
You only neee English , the city caters to tourists. I speak french well but I like making them speaking English
I will add,
-the free/cheap ferry right just across the river is a nice way to get good views
-also the lower town (at the bottom of the funicular) is pretty cute
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
thesubmitter wrote: The rooms are ok. Some have terrible views like at the the other walls of the hotel. Has a nice history display in the basement and its right on the coast so its a good view. The funicular right in front of it goes down to the coast
Unless am mistaken most rooms have been, or are in the process of, being renovated. Their website posts pictures of all rooms.
Its a historical site, the location, the views, the service etc... sure beats looking out the window and seeing the ass end of a 737.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
There are other hotels in the old Quebec for half the price within walking distance of the historical site however, no need to go as far as the airport or Levis
Sep 2, 2017
43 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa Ontario
Hello,

Does anyone know what the participating stores are for the $75 dollar gift card?
Genuinely,

Mr. Hungry Services
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1912 posts
1497 upvotes
Longueuil
blindemboss wrote: Just remember Quebecois french is a bit different from Parisian french (the type likely taught in grade school).

I was able to book a hotel in Paris on the phone, but couldn't understand what a store owner was saying to me in Quebec.
Why do they teach Parisian French in Canada as a second language? I learned English at school as a second language and it was US/Canadian English, not UK English. Similar to when I learned Spanish at school as a third language, it was Mexican Spanish, not Spain Spanish.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9299 posts
10313 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Interesting advice..... First off one seriously cannot compare Fairmont Frontenac to an airport Holiday Inn.
Also, its going to be 80$ in taxi costs round trip from Ancienne Lorette to Old Quebec (pray there is no traffic/congestion).

If anyone is looking for a less expensive and closer alternative best stay on Laurier street in ST-Foy and be way closer to Old Quebec, malls and restaurants.
Heck Its also 1 direct bus (the 801) to Old Quebec if visitors don't want to drive.
I agree staying on Boul. Laurier is a good choice, if you can find an affordable room.

Uber is also an option for moving around.

And I believe that there is now a bus line going from the airport into the city proper. That might also help.

Another reason why I like this area in L'Ancienne Laurette is that if you want to buy supplies or groceries, right in that area, there is a Walmart, Super C, and Maxi essentially side by side. It's super convenient.

Although now there is a Walmart in Place Laurier that replaced the Target.
Last edited by Poutinesauce on Jun 28th, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2945 posts
3014 upvotes
Montréal
KravenHead wrote: Unless am mistaken most rooms have been, or are in the process of, being renovated. Their website posts pictures of all rooms.
Its a historical site, the location, the views, the service etc... sure beats looking out the window and seeing the ass end of a 737.
There are a lot of options in between the ass of a 737 and chateau frontenac, but the the fairmont location is top notch
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2670 posts
2789 upvotes
Montreal, QC
just in time, planning to make my bookings for late September
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
3638 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
JEDI Force wrote: Why do they teach Parisian French in Canada as a second language? I learned English at school as a second language and it was US/Canadian English, not UK English. Similar to when I learned Spanish at school as a third language, it was Mexican Spanish, not Spain Spanish.
I'm not sure the technical differences between the two. Perhaps there is no difference from a textbook perspective.
But from what I've been told, Quebecois french is more slang. It's still french but slightly modified with it's own localized flavour.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I wouln't call Parisien French standard either lol, the normalised, more standardished french is neither.
There's actually more anglicism in France's french than QC's but QC French have a lot of archaic words and expressions.
Oct 19, 2009
521 posts
529 upvotes
toronto
Is this $75 per room or per booking? If I have book 3 double bedrooms for 2 nights. Do I get 3 of the $75 gift cards?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2538 posts
5693 upvotes
Markham
According to Parisians, Quebecois French sounds more "rustic" or "country" style, whatever that means.
Jan 7, 2020
29 posts
96 upvotes
blindemboss wrote: I'm not sure the technical differences between the two. Perhaps there is no difference from a textbook perspective.
But from what I've been told, Quebecois french is more slang. It's still french but slightly modified with it's own localized flavour.
According to one U Laval French language professor (and native Québecois) I know, the Québecois dialect is descendant of the first settlers' Normandy French dialect, a time before modern French. You're not expected to understand it: a simple modern French "Pardon?" and they will switch to standard French.

I know two people who grew up in France, native French speakers, who say it is difficult for them to follow/understand Québecois. It is a fashion of the modern French speakers to be dismissive of the "colonial" speakers: but standard American English is no less English than British English --why the hate? I think a future (maybe even the next) confident generation of Québecois will bring their historical French dialect into vogue.

Edi: Well, no need to make guesses when you can have others guess for you ;) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French
May 26, 2009
284 posts
220 upvotes
Burnaby
Has anyone received the email from hello? I've booked 2 days ago and I haven't received anything yet. I'm worried I won't receive the the gift card in time for my travel.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2020
1180 posts
442 upvotes
Wow this thread has got me thinking of planning a trip...
But pardon my question family is still hesitant about staying in hotels, I'm sure they're doing a good job of sanitation etc. Any tips from those who have recently stayed at hotels/BnB etc?
"Coach is the spirit airways of bags" [user Apkesh) 😂😂

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again. (Bush)
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3432 posts
1397 upvotes
Lévis
CALITSLA wrote: Wow this thread has got me thinking of planning a trip...
But pardon my question family is still hesitant about staying in hotels, I'm sure they're doing a good job of sanitation etc. Any tips from those who have recently stayed at hotels/BnB etc?
We've been recently. TBH, it's a thrust relation. That doesn't prevent me from washing and disinfeting my hands frequently. I rather do too much over not enough. I only have my first dose plus have a young kid.
Pourquoi pas?
Nov 25, 2015
191 posts
223 upvotes
Montr
I'm all about those thrust relations as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2020
1180 posts
442 upvotes
SPARTACVS wrote: We've been recently. TBH, it's a thrust relation. That doesn't prevent me from washing and disinfeting my hands frequently. I rather do too much over not enough. I only have my first dose plus have a young kid.
Thanks, my Fam would probably go crazy lol Lysol the entire room, bring their own sheets to top up the bed, I assume the bigger chains like Marriott may do a better job at this.
"Coach is the spirit airways of bags" [user Apkesh) 😂😂

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again. (Bush)
Jan 7, 2020
29 posts
96 upvotes
CALITSLA wrote: Wow this thread has got me thinking of planning a trip...
"We don’t have a single documented case of covid-19 transmission from surfaces. Not one."
We are over-cleaning in response to covid-19
Opinion by Joseph G. Allen, Charles Haas and Linsey C. Marr
Dec. 11, 2020 at 8:19 a.m. EST

Joseph G. Allen is an associate professor and director of the Healthy Buildings program at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Charles Haas is a professor of environmental engineering at Drexel University. Linsey C. Marr is a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech.