• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 10:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes

stay away from Reliance!!!

just moved to a new property, never signed any contracts with anybody - the existing gas hot water tank in the house was dripping water on the floor(significant amount) HVAC person said it is needed to ba changed immediately, changed the tank, called Reliance and explained the situation - penalty is $450 for the 2009 leaking water tank...

Stay away.... they have no shame...
60 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1619 posts
4048 upvotes
Not to defend their practices, but why didn't you just call them to replace it? I would have been free.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4313 posts
2210 upvotes
kotelva wrote: just moved to a new property, never signed any contracts with anybody - the existing gas hot water tank in the house was dripping water on the floor(significant amount) HVAC person said it is needed to ba changed immediately, changed the tank, called Reliance and explained the situation - penalty is $450 for the 2009 leaking water tank...

Stay away.... they have no shame...
Shouldn't your rage be directed towards your HVAC contractor? They're the ones that screwed you over.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes
just moved to a new house, never signed any rental agreements, only on fifth day found out the leak in the basement - the company name in the tank was national and something else - they are out of business, called HVAC tech was told that the tank was not safe to operate - replaced the tank the same day( (I have big family, kids - can’t stay without hot water), called Reliance since googled that Reliance had bought National and asked them to pick up the tank...
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes
“ Shouldn't your rage be directed towards your HVAC contractor? They're the ones that screwed you over.”

In what way ?
Dec 8, 2019
104 posts
155 upvotes
Just because you didnt sign any contracts didn't mean the previous owner didnt. Rental hot water tanks, ac, furnace carry forward to new property owners. You screwed up by googling that its reliance later and not before removing it.

While yes you should stay away from reliance at all costs, this issue can't be put on them directly.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes
May be it’s more fair to say that as a customer you have no rights in this area.... just jungle... they do what they want...
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes
It is a deeply corrupted area... it should not be like this... it is like buying a second hand car with attached CAA coverage or insurance from previous owner...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17228 posts
19118 upvotes
Oakville
kotelva wrote: It is a deeply corrupted area... it should not be like this... it is like buying a second hand car with attached CAA coverage or insurance from previous owner...
You're right, it is a racket. But I'm sure it says in your home purchase agreement that you agree to take over the rental.

You may be able avoid the fee if you return the tank if your rental is old. If it's already tossed out then you are SOL.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1204 posts
937 upvotes
Durham Region
Does your purchase agreement say the tank is rented?
If not you can likely pass the charge along to the seller through your lawyer
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5314 posts
1632 upvotes
0 downvotes
u can have a "rental" agreement with them and still have No Contract on your tank. the previous owners would have to terminate the rental, otherwise its now your responsibility
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4313 posts
2210 upvotes
kotelva wrote: “ Shouldn't your rage be directed towards your HVAC contractor? They're the ones that screwed you over.”

In what way ?
The HVAC dude should of informed you that the tank was a rental and you could get it changed for free if you called Reliance and kept on with the rental agreement or another option may have been able to terminate the contract without penalty because the tank was leaking. So the HVAC contractor screwed you ... made you pay an extra $450 when you probably didn't have too.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10092 posts
9947 upvotes
Markham
Reliance is scum. Having said that, this entire saga is the fault of your HVAC contractor and yourself.

1. Buying a house usually means that you are assuming the existing rental HWT, or at least your realtor should have explained this. If not, I suggest giving your realtor a call.
2. Your HVAC contractor should have told you that this unit was a rental and that you could have it just replaced for.... FREE... at Reliance, as long as you pay the rental fees. Since they didn't tell you, they've probably hustled you. So call your HVAC guy.
3. Your HVAC contractor should have at LEAST told you that if you just returned the tank (since it is 2009), you would have been dinged nothing. All you have to do is drive the unit to the Reliance drop off location. Since your HVAC contractor did not tell you this, I suggest you call the HVAC guy or stop hiring fly-by-night contractors.
4. You should have found out who owned the HWT before you called some random guy to replace it. Coulda saved you $450.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes
networksend wrote: Does your purchase agreement say the tank is rented?
Thank you for the advice!
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes
networksend wrote: Does your purchase agreement say the tank is rented?
Contract says nothing about the rental water tank!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1834 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
You are supposed to be notified when buying the house that any rental contracts are included. This could have been buried in paperwork and you didn't see it.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10092 posts
9947 upvotes
Markham
kotelva wrote: Contract says nothing about the rental water tank!!!
Time to call your agent.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2016
42 posts
22 upvotes
Just want to say thank you to everybody who expressed their opinion! After reading all this information I’m even more convinced that:

1. The area of rental equipment is corrupted
2. Reliance is a nasty 🤢 absolutely NOT customer friendly company
3. The whole situation reminds me conversation about cell phone contracts 10 years ago - Bell/Rogers hidden charges and thousand dollars penalties and so on...
4. It’s not a jungle word - the area should be better regulated by government and more friendly for customers like me... instead of penalizing me for not knowing how to navigate in this algorithm- I should be given different options especially when you just bought a new property....
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2491 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know why everybody is jumping down your (OP) throat on this. There's a lot of stuff that you just don't know until something happens and you make the wrong decision. Maybe this is your first home and don't know how rental water heaters work. How would you know until somebody tells you? Not everything is common knowledge.

I would say take this as a lesson learned. It's fine to be angry at the situation but Reliance would have fixed it for you if somehow you knew about the agreement.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Apr 14, 2009
278 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
This makes me sad but the at fault here is your HVAC guy. Zero chance he didn't know exactly what he was doing. He knew it was a rental, he knew you would be charged, he knew the service and/or replacement was covered. You can say you didn't know, that is cool but the HVAC guy who took you, knew everything.