Staying at home while wife works

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 4:00 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2019
90 posts
17 upvotes

Staying at home while wife works

Hi hope everyone is well and safe during this uncertain time.

I am having alot of stress due to home work life about to change.

For 10 year of my marriage I have been main bread winner. Have always worked 1 or 2 job same time since youngage. I am 42 now and having mri scans done due to severe knee pains cause by a previous acl issues. Has developed into other knee issues over last 2 years.

With covid 19 hitting us like a hurricane i like many people was laid of work. Not sure will be called back. My wife has seen the struggles I go through as my work involves lots of walking and working on ladder also. During my lay off my wife decided to go back to work. She had not worked for last 5 years as we had 2 kids upto now.

So she going back to work at lower pay then me. I will have to find a part time income around her full time job and also look after kids on her work days. Also plan to do some sort of surgery also.

I am hoping its just 1 year plan. I just wonder is there anyone else that suddenly due to circumstances having same situation where either husband or wife was breadwinner and then suddenly changed round how did that go. Its a big adjustment for families.
2 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11573 posts
3828 upvotes
Toronto
Both husband and wife has family responsibility. Don't worry about who make money to feed who, aslong as you share the family duties at home, like taking care of the kids while she went to work, prepare dinner or help with some clean up, I'm sure your wife will appreciate it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Apr 20, 2020
2 posts
2 upvotes
Hi there, I'm a journalist working on a story about the upcoming housing crisis. I would love to include your story in the piece. Would you be willing to speak to me?