Steam has Alan Wake (PC Digital Download) on sale for $1.74

Note: Game activates via Steam.
11 replies
Feb 20, 2018
131 posts
137 upvotes
Calgary
FYI Coming to gamepass for PC May 21!

Last edited by TomRFD on May 14th, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: formatting
May 6, 2006
159 posts
66 upvotes
Victoria
Oh cool I remember they removed it from Steam a while ago due to licencing issues. Great to see it back
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
3081 posts
2839 upvotes
Kitchener
Is it worth it?
Gaming PC: i9 9900ks, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1060 6gb, 24GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6564 posts
5154 upvotes
This game is pretty forgettable and boring honestly. Remedy has gotten progressively worse and worse with every new game. Other than some nice graphics and environments, I don't have anything particularly positive to say about Alan Wake. The gameplay is very linear and repetitive too. The story goes nowhere and makes zero sense, I don't remember a single thing about it.

For a game that has the exact same setting but that is much better and memorable in every way, you should really try Deadly Premonition. It's also a mystery game set in the Northwestern US Pacific region, except that it actually has an open world formula that really, really works. Alan Wake was supposed to be an open world investigation game too, but Remedy ended up cutting it and turning it into yet another mindless shooter.

Deadly Premonition will make you laugh, surprise you, and touch you with serious moments all at once. It has dozens of NPCs that are all well-written, likeable, well-developped and that truly ooze charm. You have to keep yourself well-fed and sleep enough, and there are other little touches that give the game small touches of realism like shaving or reading your daily fortune in coffee. While there are periodical main mission events, you can solve the mystery in any way that you want, go anywhere and talk to anyone. NPCs all have defined daily schedules, so people and stores are only available at certain hours of the day. It is the only game I ever played that truly felt like a living, breathing world. The hero is also the most hilarious and witty protagonist in gaming history and constantly talks about obscure horror movies and funny cultural references. This is truly a one of a kind... well, until they release Deadly Premonition 2 for Switch in July.

Sounds like a good game, right Zack?
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1011 posts
130 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Completely disagree with the last post, Alan Wake to this day is one of my favourite games I’ve played and I loved the story. I just wish they had made a sequel because of the way they chose to end it. The story and style reminded me of a crossover of something from Stephen King and The Twilight Zone with a bit of Silent Hill 2 thrown in, and while the game is pretty linear in a sense, it worked, and had just the right amount of mystery and creepiness to it.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3360 posts
3308 upvotes
Alberta
I also remember enjoying this game when it was released.
Jan 23, 2015
99 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Great game, if i remember correctly, it used to be an exclusive for Xbox 360, the development took 5 years and the same studio made Max Payne. It was also awarded first place by Time magazine in top 10 games of 2010....the list goes on and on.

Less talk, more play!
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1612 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto
The collectors edition is only a dollar more too on Steam for those whom like the additional content
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Jan 27, 2020
9 posts
One of my all time favorite games, next to Silent Hill 2 and Ocarina of time/Majoras mask. I've played through it half a dozen times or more.