Hot Deals

[STEAM] Steam Deck reservations July 16 1pm EST (64GB eMMC $499 / 256GB NVMe $659 / 512GB NVMe $819)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2021 6:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4305 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto

[STEAM] Steam Deck reservations July 16 1pm EST (64GB eMMC $499 / 256GB NVMe $659 / 512GB NVMe $819)

Retailer:
STEAM
More offers from STEAM

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Take note (thanks orbitdesign):
Are there any restrictions on users that can reserve the Steam Deck?
Your Steam account must be in a valid country. Additionally for the first 48 hours of reservation availability your account must be in good standing, and have made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021.

More info:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/15/2257 ... andheld-pc
Valve just announced the Steam Deck, its long-rumored Switch-like handheld gaming device. It will begin shipping in December and reservations open July 16th at 1PM ET. It starts at $399, and you can buy it in $529 and $649 models as well.

The device has an AMD APU containing a quad-core Zen 2 CPU with eight threads and 8 compute units’ worth of AMD RDNA 2 graphics, alongside 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM. There are three different storage tiers: 64GB eMMC storage for $399, 256GB NVMe SSD storage for $529, and 512GB of high-speed NVME SSD storage for $649, according to Valve. You can also expand the available storage using the available high-speed microSD card slot.
There has been a lot of worthy discussion regarding eventual/potential upgrades for the Deck. A new site called SteamDeckMods has recently popped up with Twitter and Discord presence:

https://steamdeckmods.com/
https://twitter.com/SteamDeckMods
https://discord.gg/T9FEJ5aUNv
Last edited by chadw01 on Jul 17th, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
893 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9657 posts
6384 upvotes
Toronto
Wow this came outta nowhere, mid-tier looks like the best bang for buck.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3166 posts
916 upvotes
Belle River
With game sizes nowadays 512GB seems like the obvious choice, but over $800 ouch. How well SD cards would work to expand the base 64GB model? I guess we need to compare some SD speeds to hdd speeds to get an idea, I think hdd speeds would be acceptable rather than trying to go up against SSD speeds.

Samsung EVO 512GB are around $100 and claim up to 100MB/s (megabytes per second) read speed. Another example that's on sale right now for the same price is Sandisk Extreme 512GB which claims up to 160MB/s. That range is similar to hdd's isn't it? So maybe we can think that SD cards will give us 512GB of expansion at roughly hdd speeds for $100? Does that sound realistic?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20210 posts
5651 upvotes
GTA
Does it also do gamestreaming, kind of like how nVidia Shield Portable as well?
Jul 31, 2007
732 posts
587 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Does it also do gamestreaming, kind of like how nVidia Shield Portable as well?
its a fully featured handheld PC, you can do whatever you want including reformatting the system and installing windows or linux, but out of the box I would imagine it supports steam link
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3166 posts
916 upvotes
Belle River
coriolis wrote: Does it also do gamestreaming, kind of like how nVidia Shield Portable as well?
In their FAQ it says
The default Steam Deck experience requires a Steam account (it's free!). Games are purchased and downloaded using the Steam Store. That said, Steam Deck is a PC so you can install third party software and operating systems.
So maybe? I really like Steam/Valve's approach to hardware, like when they got into VR, they are OK with stuff being just peripherals and not everything having to be 100% tied to a service like most companies nowadays.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2220 posts
1428 upvotes
Cambridge
OP, you should add this to the main post for anyone wanting to pre-order:

"If you want to preorder a Steam Deck (beginning at 1 pm ET on Friday, July 16), you'll need to use a Steam account that has "made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021 for the first 48 hours of reservation availability."
May 6, 2010
170 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Looks good. Would need to research up on battery times and how well it'll be able to handle certain games. That is always the issue. Plus heating/ventilation might be an issue. So not sure i'd pull the trigger on this out of the gate.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3166 posts
916 upvotes
Belle River
orbitdesign wrote: OP, you should add this to the main post for anyone wanting to pre-order:

"If you want to preorder a Steam Deck (beginning at 1 pm ET on Friday, July 16), you'll need to use a Steam account that has "made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021 for the first 48 hours of reservation availability."
I realize it would be a jerk move and they would never do it, but to really cut down on scalping, if they had kept this secret and only revealed it when you went to order :). Would have been very frustrating for some legit buyers, but a funny surprise for scalpers, and it would have been fun to read that news tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2220 posts
1428 upvotes
Cambridge
hystavito wrote: I realize it would be a jerk move and they would never do it, but to really cut down on scalping, if they had kept this secret and only revealed it when you went to order :). Would have been very frustrating for some legit buyers, but a funny surprise for scalpers, and it would have been fun to read that news tomorrow.
True, but at least they back-dated it to last month and with an actual game purchase and not just an unused account.
Jul 31, 2007
732 posts
587 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I realize it would be a jerk move and they would never do it, but to really cut down on scalping, if they had kept this secret and only revealed it when you went to order :). Would have been very frustrating for some legit buyers, but a funny surprise for scalpers, and it would have been fun to read that news tomorrow.
we're already past june though... so scalpers would have to scramble and rent accounts from gamers?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9916 posts
4658 upvotes
Toronto
This would be great playing with Steam Link pc streaming, and other cloud gaming services, i'm sure it would be compatible with all (Stadia, PSNow, GFN, xCloud, Shadow, etc). imo they should've made this like the Switch and have a removeable gamepad to turn it into a tablet, then use a gamepad holder so I can use my Xbox one elite controller. but I can understand if they use the whole back part of the housing for the battery, etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2220 posts
1428 upvotes
Cambridge
ManCaveGamer wrote: this would be great playing with Steam Link and other cloud gaming services, i'm sure it would be compatible with all (Stadia, PSNow, GFN, xCloud, Shadow, etc). imo they should've made this like the Switch and have a removeable gamepad to turn it into a tablet, then use a gamepad holder so i can use my Xbox one elite controller. but I can understand if they use the whole back part of the housing for the battery, etc.
Why not just go with the Razer Kishi or Game Sir x2 at that point with a large screen phone? Around 6" of screen space, and functions like a switch for game streaming... or take the pad off and connect a BT controller to play that way.
Dec 25, 2018
85 posts
103 upvotes
Looks really good if you look it as a hand held PC gaming but kind of expensive if you look at it in terms of console.

Great for people who already have a steam library and want to play it on the go.

Also likely will be able to emulate many retro/not so retro consoles. Thing is quite powerful for a handheld.

Just don't really know about how comfortable it is for long term use and how much battery life you'd actually get.
May 27, 2007
280 posts
26 upvotes
Montreal
hmm, so with this now I can finally play PSO2: NS which my 10 years old ass PC couldn't Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2057 posts
406 upvotes
Ottawa
Looks neat but not sure it's enough to pre-order. I'll consider it when the reviews are out and if I don't get one close to launch I'm sure I'll get one during the fire sale later
Jul 29, 2020
76 posts
133 upvotes
GET minimum 256GB. Thank me later.

As it's NVMe which means faster

Best bang for buck aswell
Last edited by Alphabet7 on Jul 15th, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 29, 2020
76 posts
133 upvotes
Yes via steam streaming thing and the GeForce thing.
Jul 29, 2020
76 posts
133 upvotes
hystavito wrote: In their FAQ it says So maybe? I really like Steam/Valve's approach to hardware, like when they got into VR, they are OK with stuff being just peripherals and not everything having to be 100% tied to a service like most companies nowadays.
I absolutely love steam and valve as a company. I don't remember once they've f'd over consumers.

Look at the making of Half Life Alyx. Great company