Expired Hot Deals

STEAM

Week-end deal - Half Life Alyx 40% off on Steam : $41.39 - VR Only

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2021 7:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1476 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[STEAM] Week-end deal - Half Life Alyx 40% off on Steam : $41.39 - VR Only

Deal Link:
Price:
$41.39
Savings:
40% off
Expiry:
September 20, 2021
Retailer:
STEAM
More offers from STEAM
Hey all,

Half Life Alyx is currently on sale on Steam (40% off) until September 20th.

The sale price is $41.39 down from $68.99.

Good deal for a great game, if you have a VR headset. This is a VR only game, and you can use most of the headsets available on the market, including the Quest 2.
19 replies
Member
User avatar
Jan 29, 2004
476 posts
379 upvotes
god I loved that game, hopefully there will be a sequel!
Member
Jan 21, 2008
222 posts
260 upvotes
damn if you don't have this for your VR(PC) setup you should get it, it'll change your life.

got it on last sale but upvoted
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1476 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I forgot to mention you need a pretty good gaming PC to run this at a good framerate, in addition to the VR headset.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1770 posts
1138 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone has (excess) Steam wallet, please get in touch as I'll be buying this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1476 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Now all I need is a deal on a VR headset.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3347 posts
1030 upvotes
Belle River
Niklasky wrote: Now all I need is a deal on a VR headset.
I was thinking a used Index, but then it's been out quite some time and in many ways is being surpassed by others, though overall a lot of people still say it's the best.
Member
Jun 18, 2013
330 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
A must have if you own VR devices.
Sr. Member
May 20, 2004
675 posts
566 upvotes
Alexandero2 wrote: If anyone has (excess) Steam wallet, please get in touch as I'll be buying this.
I have steam $, send me a dm
Member
Dec 19, 2006
474 posts
422 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I was thinking a used Index, but then it's been out quite some time and in many ways is being surpassed by others, though overall a lot of people still say it's the best.
While not wireless, if what you want to do is play Half-Life Alyx, that's the way to go. The Quest 2 is essentially a beefy mobile phone. In terms of power, it has none. Without being plugged into a PC with a decent graphics card it will run Alyx pretty terribly.
Member
May 22, 2009
415 posts
491 upvotes
Canada
Thello wrote: While not wireless, if what you want to do is play Half-Life Alyx, that's the way to go. The Quest 2 is essentially a beefy mobile phone. In terms of power, it has none. Without being plugged into a PC with a decent graphics card it will run Alyx pretty terribly.
Without a VR capable PC the Quest 2 wont run Alyx terribly, it wont run AT ALL. In fact it is impossible to run half life Alyx without a VR capable pc no matter what vr device you have. Also if you have a valve index, you get Alyx for free.

If you're calling the Quest 2 a 'beefy mobile phone" that would make every other vr device a rotary phone. The quest 2 is the only device that can run VR games without a vr capable PC. It is the only device that can VR wirelessly too.
Reminder: Epic gives away free games every week. Humble Choice is horrible, I miss the old weekly humble bundles :(
Member
Apr 28, 2010
407 posts
484 upvotes
Terrace
Been holding off since I am not sure if my pc can run it. But at this price, I am tempted.
Anyone cares to chime in?

GTX 1070, 12GB ram, 6 cores cpu @ 4ghz.

TIA
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2008
702 posts
494 upvotes
Canada
Can I run Alyx on Oculus 2 through Virtual Desktop or do I need to be tethered with a cable to get the best graphics/performance?
==================================================
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1476 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wroom wrote: Can I run Alyx on Oculus 2 through Virtual Desktop or do I need to be tethered with a cable to get the best graphics/performance?
Yes you can. Some people say running the game through virtual desktop wirelessly is the best way to play.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1476 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thello wrote: While not wireless, if what you want to do is play Half-Life Alyx, that's the way to go. The Quest 2 is essentially a beefy mobile phone. In terms of power, it has none. Without being plugged into a PC with a decent graphics card it will run Alyx pretty terribly.
Sure, but at $1,300 a pop, I can't justify buying the Index for just one game...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 6, 2008
623 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
heero78 wrote: Been holding off since I am not sure if my pc can run it. But at this price, I am tempted.
Anyone cares to chime in?

GTX 1070, 12GB ram, 6 cores cpu @ 4ghz.

TIA
It will run will but you will struggle a lot and be extremely dizzy with losing 90 fps. Even on low settings. You need a new 3060 at least or old 2060 or 2070.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9985 posts
6920 upvotes
Toronto
Bobby66 wrote: It will run will but you will struggle a lot and be extremely dizzy with losing 90 fps. Even on low settings. You need a new 3060 at least or old 2060 or 2070.
It runs well enough on low settings for me w/1070 GPU and 8700 cpu, with ways to enhance it further. From what I read it can also be cpu heavy so can't have either too bottlenecked.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2041609017

Great game and definitely worth picking up.
Sr. Member
Apr 10, 2009
750 posts
158 upvotes
I hate this game. It was so awesome that every other VR game just doesn't satisfy me anymore.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 25, 2018
954 posts
996 upvotes
I sold my 1.5ish year old HTC Vive kit for $500, I couldn't refuse, but damn this is a good price!

I'm going to nab an Index though as I can't support Facebook, no thanks.

Top