• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 11:37 am
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
54 posts
19 upvotes

Steel entry door in garage

Hi,

My wife wants to replace our 20yr old entry, which is located in our garage and leads into our basement. She just wants to replace it with a cheap big box version. She just wants something with better insulation and with less dents ;)

I noticed they all come prehung. Is it possible to just unhinge my current door and replace it with the new door or do I have to replace everything?

Thanks in advance.
7 replies
Nov 6, 2014
563 posts
852 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
You'll likely have to remove everything (door and frame) as it's extremely unlikely the hindges and door knob on the new door to be in the exact locations as the old one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8265 posts
4094 upvotes
Paris
settons wrote: Hi,

My wife wants to replace our 20yr old entry, which is located in our garage and leads into our basement. She just wants to replace it with a cheap big box version. She just wants something with better insulation and with less dents ;)

I noticed they all come prehung. Is it possible to just unhinge my current door and replace it with the new door or do I have to replace everything?

Thanks in advance.
Might have less dents. Will not have better insulation.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1397 posts
224 upvotes
Grimsby
A non steel door might fall foul of the bylaws. We need to keep fumes from entering our homes.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
54 posts
19 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Might have less dents. Will not have better insulation.
I meant we are replacing it with a new steal door from a big box store. Why do you think the insulation will be worse? Many of the new ones have an energy star rating.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8265 posts
4094 upvotes
Paris
settons wrote: I meant we are replacing it with a new steal door from a big box store. Why do you think the insulation will be worse? Many of the new ones have an energy star rating.
Stock doors from a box store are made to hit a price point. They need painting on all six sides, and they are made with sheets of .5 lb open cell styrofoam. Sometimes they straight up miss a whole section and it’s left uninsulated (seen that on a thermal cam). A box store door from 20 years ago was 2lb spray foam inside. Ergo, old one is has a 99% of being better insulated.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2009
54 posts
19 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Stock doors from a box store are made to hit a price point. They need painting on all six sides, and they are made with sheets of .5 lb open cell styrofoam. Sometimes they straight up miss a whole section and it’s left uninsulated (seen that on a thermal cam). A box store door from 20 years ago was 2lb spray foam inside. Ergo, old one is has a 99% of being better insulated.
Thanks for the information! Would I be able to find a steel door from anywhere where the insulation would be better than what I currently have?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8265 posts
4094 upvotes
Paris
settons wrote: Thanks for the information! Would I be able to find a steel door from anywhere where the insulation would be better than what I currently have?
You would need to order one. I’d stay away from Jeld Wen and Masonite (lowes/Depot, in that order) but either store will order you a better door from Trutech/Dorplex (Lowe’s/Depot). Be aware it will be easily 2x to 3x as much as the $300 door on the floor, but it will be painted and last a lot longer.