• Jun 25th, 2009 2:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
33 posts
Mississauga

Steel roof or Shingles - need advice ..

I live in Mississauga and am looking to replace my roof. I am not sure whether I should take advantage of the govt. tax credit and put a steel roof or shingles. My house is approx 2400 sq ft. I understand that the metal roofers give you a 50 yr warranty versus the shingles 10-15 yrs even if you put the 25 yr shingles.Any ideas input much appreciated.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6543 posts
1220 upvotes
And the metal roofers will be around for the next 50 years to honor that warranty?

Better still, will you still be around and living in that house for the next 50 years?

Out of curiosity what's the cost difference like?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8882 posts
1796 upvotes
woof wrote: And the metal roofers will be around for the next 50 years to honor that warranty?

Better still, will you still be around and living in that house for the next 50 years?

Out of curiosity what's the cost difference like?
+1. The cost difference is big probably 2 to 3 times that of a normal roof job at least. Other issues to consider is the weight on the roof, quality of the metal shingles (poorly protected ones will rust).
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
74 upvotes
As well, wouldn't raining hitting a metal roof be quite loud?
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
33 posts
Mississauga
I believe the price is about double that of shingles. Because the roof is of steel they put it on a wooden frame on top of the existing roof. There is a 1-2 inch buffer , so there is no noise or heat that transfers to the house. As for them being around who knows.. same can be said of the shingles manufacturers or installers as well. They have an out clause in whatever you do. The manufactures claims that they have 7 coatings on their metal, which is rolled not stamped, so that gives them an extra protection.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36251 posts
10444 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a neighbor that got one installed a little more than a year ago and he regrets it. He has a smallish bungalow and it cost him 13 grand. They put it right over the old roof. He says it is noisy in the rain and the snow sliding off was a problem. Now that it is getting hot, he says he hears the expansion and contraction of the roof all day and night, sometimes loud.
In retrospect, he says he could have gotten 3 shingle replacements for the same price and that would have lasted as long as the warranty on the steel shingles.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6068 posts
461 upvotes
Quebec
Just look around you, the great majority of residential buildings have asphalt shingles since forever. Tried, tested and true.

Now get a good contractor who won't rush the job and not do the borders properly.

It's up to you to make sure they are legit (insurance is backed, workers are insured, real company with no complaints against them, etc...)
Dec 10, 2003
102 posts
My wife and I just went through this decision.

We've been in our house 2 years now and don't expect to ever move from it. So in this way metal sounded like it would be worthwhile to consider.

We got a quote from Metroc who have great reviews here on RFD and other places. The fellow who came by was very easy to talk to, very good at explaining the benefits of going metal, the differences between different products, etc.

Anyways, the cheapest metal option was $8500 and would require some maintenance every 10 years (something about tightening or adjusting the positioning). This roof is very smooth and I've seen a few in the neighbourhood.

For a nicer looking roof (imo), we were looking at $11000. This one had a rougher finish and would require no maintenance.

I also got two quotes for reshingling... one came in at $3750, another at $3500. These were both for 25-30 year shingles.

So we decided on shingles. If we had more money lying around we probably would've gone metal... but at this point in our lives there are better uses for the cash.

Good luck in your choice, I don't think you can really go wrong either way.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
33 posts
Mississauga
Thanks Guys. I guess the metal roof has it's problems too. I thought that by spending upfront you did not have to worry about the roofing again for th e life of the house. If any of you have had a good experience with your roofer, please pm me with the contact info and I will call them for a quote.
Much appreciated
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2116 posts
41 upvotes
You can apply a steel roof over an existing shingle roof, but you have to do it right. By that, I mean strap the existing roof vertically (down the slope), and horizontally. You can't just strap in one direction, or worse, not strap at all, and get any air movement.

The best steel system I've come across is an Ontario company called Hy-Grade. They strap in both directions, their warranty is 50 years and they've been around for 20 years or so. My dad has a 10 year old roof by them, and it still looks great. We just got a Hy-Grade roof this week at our cottage, and I think it looks fantastic. I'll post pics later if you want.

No, I don't work for them, and I'm sure there are other companies who do good work as well. Just don't let any contractor throw some VicWest profile on top of your roof and call it a day. There are good and bad metal roofs out there. You don't need to spend big money, but from what I've seen, you'll pay more for a good metal roof. As a budget, I'd say you're looking at $7/sq.ft ($700 per square, where 1 square = 100 sq.ft.), depending on the slope and complexities in your roof. Ours was less, but it was a pretty simple gable roof.

The reason I'm even in this thread is I'm looking for shingle roofing contractors in the Toronto area, and this search result piqued my interest. The "25 year" shingle roof I'm replacing was installed 12 years ago, and is cracked and curled to hell. The only reason I'm not going with metal here is that we don't plan on staying in the house long, and I don't think we'd get the extra money back in the sale. Otherwise, I'd install another metal roof here in a heartbeat. Probably Hy-Grade.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
33 posts
Mississauga
Thank you for the input. I was looking at a Classic Stone coated steel tile, that looks just like Singles. As it is stone coated steel, I was told that the stone chips are an extra coating on the regular steel. They strap the roof both veritically and horizontally with 2x3's on the existing shingles, and hold it down with screws. They quote approx $6 per sq ft. The only problem as I see it is, what happens if there is a problem down the road, will these people honour their warranty or give us the run around? If the roof lasts even 45 yrs as they say, it will be the equivalent of 3 shingle roofs, assuming they last at least 15yrs. Is it better to pay upfront and hope for a problem free roof? Does the roof increase the re-sale value of the home?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2116 posts
41 upvotes
Be careful with stone coated roofs. I've heard the expansion and contraction with temperature creates friction and can remove some of that stone over time. See what you can dig up on that. I could be completely wrong.

I tend to focus on buying what I expect will be the most trouble-free product. Some steel roof warranties are 20 years, and some 50 years, but the longer warranty didn't sell me. I've seen 20 year old Hy-Grade roofs that still look good, but that's about as long as Hy-Grade as been around. I don't see a lot of shingled roofs lasting more than 15 years before they are due to be replaced.

I don't think you'll see a huge increase in your home's value by going to a steel roof. Ask an appraiser. I mostly like that the cottage roof is done. My kid can replace the next roof.