• Feb 16th, 2021 11:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA

Steelcase Gesture Chair

Anyone here own this chair? I’m considering making the purchase through POI but it ain’t cheap. They have one for $1,033 plus tax. I really need a much better chair for lumbar support and proper alignment. My current chair absolutely bites.

I’m in the Oakville area and not sure where else I can purchase this from perhaps at a lower price? Would appreciate any feedback.
25 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20527 posts
5986 upvotes
GTA
My office actually uses these chairs, I mostly like it, I find that the upper backrest isn't that great (ours don't have the headrest). The seat cushion is good and the arms are great and easy to adjust. Build quality is top notch.

I do LOVE the easy adjustment, as I use a variety of devices and work formats at my desk for prolonged period. Lots of different ways to be comfortable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote: My office actually uses these chairs, I mostly like it, I find that the upper backrest isn't that great (ours don't have the headrest). The seat cushion is good and the arms are great and easy to adjust. Build quality is top notch.

I do LOVE the easy adjustment, as I use a variety of devices and work formats at my desk for prolonged period. Lots of different ways to be comfortable.
Thanks for the feedback. So would you say the chair is worth the price? It'll cost me about $1,250 all-in. Seems hefty but I desperately need a comfortable ergonomic chair.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20527 posts
5986 upvotes
GTA
Jagstyles wrote: Thanks for the feedback. So would you say the chair is worth the price? It'll cost me about $1,250 all-in. Seems hefty but I desperately need a comfortable ergonomic chair.

Full price, I would say maybe, it depends on your body type too. Unfortunately there isn't any open shops to test it, unless there is a return policy. Personally I wouldn't pay that much for one, perhaps look for used/off lease ones from offices closing.

Still, it's an investment for your health, so if you can expense part of it, it can be valuable long term
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote: Full price, I would say maybe, it depends on your body type too. Unfortunately there isn't any open shops to test it, unless there is a return policy. Personally I wouldn't pay that much for one, perhaps look for used/off lease ones from offices closing.

Still, it's an investment for your health, so if you can expense part of it, it can be valuable long term
I guess that's my concern, I order the chair and don't end up liking it. There's virtually no place locally that carries Steelcase chairs. I was tempted to try this chair at Staples:

https://www.staples.ca/products/2438311 ... un55655-cc

But the thing I like about the Gesture chair is how the backrest adapts and contours to your back as you move around in the chair. My current chair is just awful, I go home every day with a bad back.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16112 posts
2720 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: I guess that's my concern, I order the chair and don't end up liking it. There's virtually no place locally that carries Steelcase chairs. I was tempted to try this chair at Staples:

But the thing I like about the Gesture chair is how the backrest adapts and contours to your back as you move around in the chair. My current chair is just awful, I go home every day with a bad back.
Union & Scale is Staples' house brand; more cheap Chinese shit.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
JAC wrote: Union & Scale is Staples' house brand; more cheap Chinese shit.
That's what I figured... I might just bite the bullet and get the Gesture chair. Just wish there were more options locally to buy it. I've also heard really good things about the Sitonit chairs but don't believe they are nearly as adjustable/supportive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
For those looking for a Steelcase Gesture/Leap chair, POI just received a shipment of items where the company sent them either the wrong color/fabric on the chairs and they are liquidating them at a discount. I picked up a Gesture chair with full warranty for $700 + Shipping + HST. They also offer pickup option so you save on the shipping.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16112 posts
2720 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: For those looking for a Steelcase Gesture/Leap chair, POI just received a shipment of items where the company sent them either the wrong color/fabric on the chairs and they are liquidating them at a discount. I picked up a Gesture chair with full warranty for $700 + Shipping + HST. They also offer pickup option so you save on the shipping.
Not visible on their website.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1559 posts
143 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: I guess that's my concern, I order the chair and don't end up liking it. There's virtually no place locally that carries Steelcase chairs. I was tempted to try this chair at Staples:

You should be able to find someone locally, we have a couple retailers in Ottawa, they're business focused suppliers so not your typical consumer store. When the world is normal you can typically get a loaner to try.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
JAC wrote: Not visible on their website.
You won't find it on their website... Reach out to them directly. He even sent me a bunch of pictures of the chairs they just got in and I ended up picking the one I liked. Should be shipped to me sometime this week coming up.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3712 posts
2027 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: For those looking for a Steelcase Gesture/Leap chair, POI just received a shipment of items where the company sent them either the wrong color/fabric on the chairs and they are liquidating them at a discount. I picked up a Gesture chair with full warranty for $700 + Shipping + HST. They also offer pickup option so you save on the shipping.
I asked them about this and they said they wouldn't deal with me based on my area (Ottawa). They gave me a code to use directly on the Steelcase website but it's only 10% retail so not worth it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
txenglan wrote: I asked them about this and they said they wouldn't deal with me based on my area (Ottawa). They gave me a code to use directly on the Steelcase website but it's only 10% retail so not worth it.
That's too bad as it's a great deal. Not sure why they wouldn't agree to just ship you the chair to Ottawa. Strange.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3712 posts
2027 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: That's too bad as it's a great deal. Not sure why they wouldn't agree to just ship you the chair to Ottawa. Strange.
Yes, I saw what you posted and thought it sounded like a great deal. I guess there's some sort of arrangement where they won't "interfere" with sales outside a specific zone...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
txenglan wrote: Yes, I saw what you posted and thought it sounded like a great deal. I guess there's some sort of arrangement where they won't "interfere" with sales outside a specific zone...
That could be... It's too bad because from everything I've read, these are amazing chairs and the price on this is really good.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3712 posts
2027 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: That could be... It's too bad because from everything I've read, these are amazing chairs and the price on this is really good.
They are good. I currently have a Leap v2 but the gas cylinder is shot and I can't find a replacement for a reasonable price. They're all around $100 assuming you can even find one in stock so might as well just buy a new chair....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1385 posts
390 upvotes
GTA
Got my Gesture chair today and absolutely love it - what a difference! One issue I did find is that one of the caster wheels doesn't always spin when moving the chair. I didn't test it with my weight on the chair while sitting but when I was leaving my office today, I was pushing my chair in and noticed one of the wheels not spinning properly. Sometimes it does other times it doesn't. Anyone know how to fix this issue?
Aug 15, 2020
19 posts
33 upvotes
I can vouch for it. Using it as my daily WFH office chair.

Ended up getting that one new w/10 or 12 year warranty (whatever is standard) same-day from:

Track Office Furniture
498 Markland St #4, Markham, ON L6C 1Z6

I think I paid around 1100 (excI tax) got the one in the photo and also a Herman Miller Embody (used for about 800). I like the feel of the Steelcase much more and I love the arm rests.

They have a lot of used office chairs as well, and a few new ones. You can try them out. Worth the drive IMO.

Kind of wish I got the headrest but it wasn't an option in stock at the time.
20200924_131054.jpg
Aug 15, 2020
19 posts
33 upvotes
Oh yeah, one more thing:

The best lumbar support I have is actually through a funny looking back brace. The official product is Nada Chair but it's 100 on Amazon. The YouTube physiotherapists Bob and Brad recommended it for lower back pain.

I got a 30 dollar imitation off Amazon and it's absolutely fantastic. I have major lower back issues and this beats any chair I have ever used. Once the office reopens, I plan to use it at work. I use it for sofa sitting for the most part.