Steelcase store duties?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2021 7:31 pm
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
13 posts
8 upvotes

Steelcase store duties?

Has anyone ordered from the steelcase store before? (https://store.steelcase.com/)
Looks like they have free shipping to Canada. Wondering if there will be any duties charged when it arrives.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17738 posts
15196 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Haven’t used them

But as someone who used to work for CBSA
Thought I would take a look at their website / link you provided

Curious WHERE you found it said FREE Shipping to Canada ?

Certainly not what I came away with from reading their Shipping FAQs Page
https://store.steelcase.com/ccrz__CCPag ... ng-options

I took that pg to be Shipping info for the Continental US
They mention Alaska & Hawaii separately

Nor did I see any info on their Cdn Orders Info Pg

https://store.steelcase.com/ccrz__CCPag ... an-pricing

What you’ll be subject to upon arrival ...

Normally GST + PST (or HST)
Based on the Cdn value ... using the day it clears the border conversion rate

Duties if applicable ... are dependent upon WHAT you order
And where it’s made
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
13 posts
8 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Haven’t used them

But as someone who used to work for CBSA
Thought I would take a look at their website / link you provided

Curious WHERE you found it said FREE Shipping to Canada ?

Certainly not what I came away with from reading their Shipping FAQs Page
https://store.steelcase.com/ccrz__CCPag ... ng-options
From what you linked...
FedEx Ground
FedEx ground shipping is used for small orders weighing less than 150 pounds that have passed FedEx testing.

FedEx shipping is free to all available regions.
Capture.PNG
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12114 posts
15178 upvotes
Vancouver
LexT05 wrote: From what you linked...
FedEx Ground
FedEx ground shipping is used for small orders weighing less than 150 pounds that have passed FedEx testing.

Capture.PNG
It says "taxes will be calculated at checkout". Did you go to check out and look? Because if they aren't charging you Canadian taxes and duties there, Fedex will bill you for them and charge a hefty brokerage fee on top of that.

Edit: Just tried that, they apply Canadian taxes at checkout. They even calculate the correct HST or GST/PST rate for your province (they call it county and state taxes but they are the correct amount for PST/GST). Looks like you're good on the tax front.

On the duty front, office furniture made in USA/Canada/Mexico is duty free. If it is made in any other country, the duties are 9.5%. I found one online source saying Leap chairs are made in Mexico. Not sure if that's true. Do your research
Last edited by Kiraly on May 25th, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
13 posts
8 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: It says "taxes will be calculated at checkout". Did you go to check out and look? Because if they aren't charging you Canadian taxes and duties there, Fedex will bill you for them and charge a hefty brokerage fee on top of that.

Edit: Just tried that, they apply Canadian taxes at checkout. They even calculate the correct HST or GST/PST rate for your province (they call it county and state taxes but they are the correct amount for PST/GST). Looks like you're good.

Worst case, FedEx won't be told that the taxes have already been collected, and will charge you for them plus brokerage. Make sure you save the receipt that shows they have been paid.
ohh is that how it works? if taxes are charged on the site, then the brokerage will not charge duties?
Thanks for the info
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12114 posts
15178 upvotes
Vancouver
LexT05 wrote: ohh is that how it works? if taxes are charged on the site, then the brokerage will not charge duties?
Thanks for the info
I edited my post.
Taxes and duties are two different things.
This merchant is collecting taxes but not duties.
Duties (9.5%) may not be payable on this product depending on where it's made.
If it's made in Mexico then you do not need to pay any duty, and Fedex should not charge you anything at all at delivery time, since everything was already cleared by the merchant.
If duties are payable and the merchant did not collect or remit them, Fedex will bill you plus a big brokerage fee.
I'd pick up the phone and ask the merchant for clarification.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
13 posts
8 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I edited my post.
Taxes and duties are two different things.
This merchant is collecting taxes but not duties.
Duties (9.5%) may not be payable on this product depending on where it's made.
If it's made in Mexico then you do not need to pay any duty, and Fedex should not charge you anything at all at delivery time, since everything was already cleared by the merchant.
If duties are payable and the merchant did not collect or remit them, Fedex will bill you plus a big brokerage fee.
I'd pick up the phone and ask the merchant for clarification.
I see.
Yeah definitely will contact them tomorrow morning. I've contacted international merchants before and some have been unsure what will happen when it hits the border so thought I would see if anyone on here has had first hand experience before.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17738 posts
15196 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
LexT05 wrote: From what you linked...
FedEx Ground

Capture.PNG
That sort of wording ... typically applies to the Continental USA. Not international shipping.

That said ... since your Reply # 3

I see @Kiraly has set you on the right track regarding what happened on the website at Check Out.

And how Duties (if applicable) are calculated ... like I said in my first Reply, it’s dependent upon what the item is, and where it’s manufactured.

When it comes to buying / importing foreign goods the typical transaction looks like this ...

1- You order the item, and pay costs in LOCAL CURRENCY including LOCAL TAXES *

2- You or the Retailer covers shipping (lots of US Cos provide FREE shipping for the Lower 48 ... but not AK or HI)
Almost unheard of to find a Co that provides FREE Shipping Internationally

3- Shipper charges you a fee to act on your behalf with CBSA / Canada Customs
This is known as Brokerage

4- CBSA calculates Cdn Taxes due ... PST + GST (or HST) based on current exchange rate
They convert the amount from step # 1 ... to Cdn and tax accordingly

5- Duty ... if it’s a foreign manufactured item ... outside of the US-MX-CA (USMCA Tax Free = Old NAFTA ... North American Free Trade Agreement )

Anyhow that’s the basics...
With this website calculating / collecting Cdn Taxes on your behalf at Step # 1
Your best bet is to call Steelcase, as @Kiraly said, and verify how this all will work for you as a Canadian

Understand the steps I have outlined above ... but listen to Steelcases explanation
They may very well have their own way of doing things as a work around

Example ... I buy from several US Cos that use BORDERFREE (a Pitney Bowes Co) as their go between
I order my goods with all Cdn taxes & shipping included in the amount I pay on the website in US Dollars
My goods come to me with nothing else owing ... as the Cos & BorderFree have done all the collecting & remitting on my behalf
Dec 18, 2009
211 posts
85 upvotes
Calgary
According to the Steelcase website, "To reduce shipping distances, the Leap chair is manufactured close to customers, in Europe and North America." Same for the Amia.

The label on my used Leap V2 states made in Mexico with Mexico and imported materials.