Home & Garden

Is this step acceptable?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 7:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6811 posts
6962 upvotes

Is this step acceptable?

It may be a bit late now.... Got interlocking done yesterday and it looks great overall. Signed off on the job and paid the company.

Noticed shortly after they left... They made my front step with 4 large stones and a tiny one... Is this something I can fix later on? Do you think it's worth pursuing this with the company or will they tell me to pound sand?

Honestly looks great from the street IMO and would never be able to tell from afar.
IMG_20170811_202415.jpg
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8066 posts
6636 upvotes
Ottawa
I would call them. This was a lazy solution to the alternative which required custom cutting of 3 stones. You should not have a tread with any kind of overhang where the stone's weight is that unsubstantial. I realize that the stones were likely adhered with a landscaping-grade PL/adhesive but that will weaken with age and exposure to the elements. Unless there's a mechanical anchoring I cannot see (and I highly doubt there is), this will be dangerous in 3 years or so.

IMHO
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6811 posts
6962 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: I would call them. This was a lazy solution to the alternative which required custom cutting of 3 stones. You should not have a tread with any kind of overhang where the stone's weight is that unsubstantial. I realize that the stones were likely adhered with a landscaping-grade PL/adhesive but that will weaken with age and exposure to the elements. Unless there's a mechanical anchoring I cannot see (and I highly doubt there is), this will be dangerous in 3 years or so.

IMHO
Thanks for the tip. Do you have background/experience with this kind of thing?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8066 posts
6636 upvotes
Ottawa
superfresh89 wrote: Thanks for the tip. Do you have background/experience with this kind of thing?
I am a DIYer only. My concern is that we don't know how it was mounted. if somehow it was adhered permanently to a stone on either side or underneath, it's probably okay. Frankly, if they used PL landscaping adhesive on the bottom and both sides, it might be fine for several years. We just don't know.

How long is the guarantee?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6811 posts
6962 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: I am a DIYer only. My concern is that we don't know how it was mounted. if somehow it was adhered permanently to a stone on either side or underneath, it's probably okay. Frankly, if they used PL landscaping adhesive on the bottom and both sides, it might be fine for several years. We just don't know.

How long is the guarantee?
3 years
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2012
657 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
To be honest what they should of done was cut the three in the middle the same size. They had to use 5 stones anyways.... I don't hate the look as long as it's safe.


Have you tried putting all your weight on that one stone yet?? In the future it might lift/tilt a little but it won't flip forward and fall. It's thickness will allow it to hit the stone behind it.

Also a DIY'er but I have done a boatload of stonework around my home. If it makes you feel better call them and voice your concern. Or at least ask what was used to secure it in place. Do you have young children? If so, let them know your concern.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8066 posts
6636 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: I showed the pic to a landscaper I trust and his view was that my concern was valid but not necessarily applicable here - a lot depends on what is underneath that top landing and the adhesive/mortar used to secure that top cap course. So, it may be safe but it is definitely not aesthetically okay to have that small stone there and it's a stupid place to put it. That it looks like it does makes my friend question what other shortcuts might have been made underneath. He does not want to get involved but his main question was if it was a poured concrete base underneath. If it is, his concerns are mainly aesthetic.

Top