Automotive

Sticker expired is insurance still valid?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2018 10:05 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1531 posts
126 upvotes

Sticker expired is insurance still valid?

Hi Folks,

My birthday was in April, and my plate sticker has expired about a week ago. I know I can get a 2 time 10 day extension per VIN. I'll have to do this as I'm looking for a new car, and my car won't pass emissions in it's current state. Any idea if a void sticker also voids car insurance. Wondering if an accident was to happen if I'd be covered by insurance in Ontario?

Newb question, is renewing your sticker basically the same and having valid plates? Basically the same thing right, sticker/plate renewal? Or is it a separate charge?

Cheers,
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16725 posts
4399 upvotes
Toronto
Insurance policy is different from road tax sticker. Yes you can drive your car and have insurance covered, but you will get a ticket if your road tax sticker is not renewed and expired.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1270 posts
234 upvotes
GVRD
In BC, you must have valid Licence Fees inorder to have a valid Insurance policy.

Is the sticker in ON the Licence Fee component?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1857 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
Your insurance is still valid no worries there. But if you get pulled over and get a ticket for not having a valid sticker, than be aware that that conviction would impact your insurance rates. I've been pulled over once, 2 days after my birthday by a cop who pulled me over for having an expired sticker. Luckily I had the sticker in the glove box, I just hadn't had a chance to remove the plate cover and install it. Cop let me go but I'm pretty sure if I didn't have the sticker he would have ticketed me.
Oct 2, 2017
573 posts
379 upvotes
you can't drive without a valid sticker, so that's just a ticket waiting to happen.

so what's the point of having insurance on a car you aren't supposed to drive?
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7264 posts
1004 upvotes
Toronto
azmongold wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 11:50 am
you are not supposed to can't drive without a valid sticker, so that's just a ticket waiting to happen.

so what's the point of having insurance on a car you aren't supposed to drive?
Corrected!
Apr 10, 2009
653 posts
50 upvotes
OP says they getting a 10 day temp sticker. Should be 0 issues with the sticker, plate, or insurance if you go down that route, especially if the goal is to not be the vehicle owner in the end.